Guest Fiatsu

Unweighted points (Rigging workflow Q)

Guest Fiatsu

After following a certain workflow (listed below) i applied weights to the full body of my character, When i moved the leg after some areas stretch akin to 0 weighted points. The reason for this is beyond me. Image example 

The mesh name is "suit".

The workflow used rigging this model was to start with the base joint in the hierarchy, Pelvis and flood the entire model, Then for each limb to select the entire limb and flood for the leg joint, Then the selection for the remaining shin/ foot and flood for the shin joint to finally selecting the foot area to flood for the foot joint.

So i starting out with a master flood, then take away from that weight by adding it to another joint down the hierarchy then the next etc to prevent issues with certain tools. (add - erase etc)
I don't know exactly what's going on and at what point would it be possible for any point to not have weight to it. The stretched area isn't highlighted to have weight for the master pelvis joint either.

Any help is appreciated in solving this, Any workflow tips on rigging the same. 

Hi

I typically work with a mesh much lower polygon than this as it helps avoid these issues, but understand this cant be the case with all models.  Decide at what loop of polygons is where the limb will articulate From and Too, select this polygon area and apply 100% weight with the correct joint selected from within the weight manager. Do the same for the other half of the limb starting where the other loop left off..  Select the loops either side of the limb articulation point press (u+y) to grow the selection and apply 50% smoothing.  Your find you have a nice articulation.  This is also good for fingers.

Dan

Hi

in the image it´s clear to see that the weights are not normalized (Suit = 96,9%).

Make sure when you use the weight tool that auto normalize is on. Maybe there is a bug in R16 but in your case i would shift dopple click the weight-tag and in the Weights Manager under joints > functions hit the Normalize Button!

About Workflow...i prefer Rectros Method with a little bit of Auto Weights for more Joints.

Guest Fiatsu
  • Topic Author
  • 12 hours ago, nightlight said:

Hi

in the image it´s clear to see that the weights are not normalized (Suit = 96,9%).

Make sure when you use the weight tool that auto normalize is on. Maybe there is a bug in R16 but in your case i would shift dopple click the weight-tag and in the Weights Manager under joints > functions hit the Normalize Button!

About Workflow...i prefer Rectros Method with a little bit of Auto Weights for more Joints.

Thank you dude!!!!!!!!!!!
    Auto Normalize was indeed on however when i did it from the weight manager the problem went away instantly.
    Seems like it made suit (the mesh) 100% everywhere, So the %age difference was unweighted somehow.
    Now there are the three values of the 2 joints and one overall value for the mesh.

I have no idea what's going on or what the problem is exactly but it works now so great.

I'll have to go through help and see if i can figure it out at some point. Thanks again.