Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

Cinema 4D Plugins

magiclight

How to "restore" materials

magiclight    1

How do you do when you need to import the "same" obj or fbx many times, say that I have an OBJ I import and fix all the materials and save this, now I need to import the same OBJ (but maybe morphed or something, but still same materials), is there a way to quick and easy copy the materials from the first OBJ (that I now have as a c4d object) that I have fixed to the second one I import so I don't need to mess with the materials all over again ?

Rectro    525

Hi

If its the case of bringing a new mesh thats the same as the one your working on, but its a morph, you can apply that morph to the object that already has the materials on it using a morph tag, if you want direction for that procedure let me know.

If the imported object has been changed such as a geometry level change then the material with the same textures wont work if they use different UVs.  You can use the Vamp tool in the character menu if you have that tools, this can transfer materials but not selection sets.  Im not aware of any other way.  Your need to be more specific in what you want to change as this will change the options you have.

Dan

magiclight    1
  • Topic Author
  • I have some FBX characters, they have a ton of morphs for facial animation and other things, takes a lot of ram and slow down C4D a bit, so I import one FBX with just the basic morphs I need, later on I can always export a new FBX with some extra morphs I need and import it, but that would require that I can copy the materials from the first FBX to the second.

But as you said, maybe easier to copy the morphs from the imported FBX to the first character instead as it is the same mesh, will have a look at that.

Rectro    525
    16 minutes ago, magiclight said:

I have some FBX characters, they have a ton of morphs for facial animation and other things, takes a lot of ram and slow down C4D a bit, so I import one FBX with just the basic morphs I need, later on I can always export a new FBX with some extra morphs I need and import it, but that would require that I can copy the materials from the first FBX to the second.

But as you said, maybe easier to copy the morphs from the imported FBX to the first character instead as it is the same mesh, will have a look at that.

Once you have the pose morph applied, use Points mode in the Basic Tab, then choose the type of morph such as Absolute, correctional.  Open the Advanced menu and in the Target field drag your morphed mesh into there.  Then clear the field and the morph is applied, you can now delete the imported morph mesh object, and continue to add more morphs.

Dan

magiclight    1
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks.

I just noticed that you can save pose morphs to external files and C4D will only load them if you actually need them, that would be another solution, anyone used this with a large number of pose morphs (point data) and know if it works well ?

Rectro    525

Iv never used the point to external file, but the manual says it saves memory, so can only asume its worth a try.

"This allows you to work with a huge number of morph targets without them requiring much memory. Choose a morph target that you want to save externally and click on the Save button"

Dan

magiclight    1
  • Topic Author
  • To be honest, I can't figure out how to use it :mad: I can save a morph with the "Save" button to a PMO file, no problem there, but what after that ?

It say it will save any external morphs if they change so it should keep them under control in some way and that would indicate that I should not delete them, but maybe I should  delete the existing morphs after that ? I would assume so because it say I should use the "..." button to load them, and that is where the problem  is, if I delete the morphs after saving them and click on "..." I get a name popping up in the "external" textfield but nothing else happens, I thought maybe I need to click on "Add pose" but no and can't drag it up to the morph list.

Any one that have used them and can explain how it works ?

The c4d file keeps the same size so it looks like I need to do something else to actually use the saved ones...

magiclight    1
  • Topic Author
  • Ok, if someone else is interested, I asked support about it.

You just select or create a new pose, click the "..." to load the PMO file and it's there kind of, I tried with some simple things and it worked there, still have not got it working with my FBX import, but the problem is when you load the PMO file it does not keep the original morph name so you get "Pose.1" "Pose.2" and so on, have to change that manually, a bit annoying.

It looks like it is not a good way anyway, the harddrive goes crazy when using them and it slow down everything for a long while when it's grinding the harddrive.

magiclight    1
  • Topic Author
  • The easiest way to do it was to use Rectro's first idea, I import a base object (OBJ/FBX), fix the materials and save it.

To change it I added a pose morph tag to it and imported the "other" object and added it as "Target" under Advanced in the pose morph, works quick and easy, and fast to replace with another object, just hopimng there will not be any hickups with the point order.

Rectro    525

Hi.

Providing you dont cut, weld, add, or take away any verts, or use the Mesh/commands sub division tool if you do want to move up a  sub d level, then point order should be fine. Although it may take some time, the method you have settled with with allow you to check as you go as to minimise mistakes.  

Thanks for posting the info you got from support.

Dan