Sign in to follow this  
GrafixPunk

Question for DEM Earth users

GrafixPunk    0

I am considering purchasing DEM Earth for an upcoming previs gig. I would like to use the plug in to extract basic city street details so that I can than plan shots and car choreography in an accurate manner. All of the demos I've seen stay at a fairly wide view point. Is it possible to use this plug in at more of a street level view once the data is extruded?

grain    107

Do you mean for modelling or texturing? The DEM map data that the plugin allows you to download is not super high resolution, by default the highest res it gives you is 30m per pixel. So when you're at street level the ground is blotchy and low resolution.

Modelling wise, it's more useful as a guide for street and buildings in metro areas, but again, it's not super high resolution or detailed. Think the level of detail you get in Google Earth, it's similar to that, however the buildings are better in Google Earth.

GrafixPunk    0
  • Topic Author
  • 21 minutes ago, grain said:

Do you mean for modelling or texturing? The DEM map data that the plugin allows you to download is not super high resolution, by default the highest res it gives you is 30m per pixel. So when you're at street level the ground is blotchy and low resolution.

Modelling wise, it's more useful as a guide for street and buildings in metro areas, but again, it's not super high resolution or detailed. Think the level of detail you get in Google Earth, it's similar to that, however the buildings are better in Google Earth.

Thanks for the response. I'm looking at it for a starting point to run simulations on car choreography and camera moves so more for modeling. The actual detail level doesn't matter as long as the distance and layout of the streets/city blocks is fairly accurate. It doesn't need to be perfect.

grain    107

Oh right well in that instance it will certainly help, particularly if you're basing your car scenes in a metro environment.