Wanna know the difference between Redshift, Cycles 4D, Octane and ProRenderer then click HERE!  Nerv, one of ours Cafe Contributors made this very useful topic, so feel free to visit and comment. :compEnjoy:

Cinema 4D Plugins

Petethevikin

An ambient occlusion (AO) alpha channel?

Hi, this is probably one of those easy questions but it has me stumped...

My target is a transparent image (.png) with object, shadows and ambient occlusion (AO). It's an image that's supposed to go on a colored background on a web page so it's great just to have a transparent .png.

In C4D R18 everything works like a dream for object and shadows. I use the new Shadow Catcher shader to create the shadows and alpha (mask), composite in Photoshop and everything looks great. However, then I run an AO multipass render and that works fine, but what I really need (I think) is an AO alpha (mask) as well. With these two layers I could just add the AO to the image and be done with it.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way? What is the workflow for adding AO shadows to a transparent composite in Photoshop?

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a pointer in the right direction...

PS It would be so great if the new Shadow Catcher shader had a little tick-box that said "Include AO shadows"... :wackywink:

Abyss    16
1 hour ago, Petethevikin said:

Hi, this is probably one of those easy questions but it has me stumped...

My target is a transparent image (.png) with object, shadows and ambient occlusion (AO). It's an image that's supposed to go on a colored background on a web page so it's great just to have a transparent .png.

In C4D R18 everything works like a dream for object and shadows. I use the new Shadow Catcher shader to create the shadows and alpha (mask), composite in Photoshop and everything looks great. However, then I run an AO multipass render and that works fine, but what I really need (I think) is an AO alpha (mask) as well. With these two layers I could just add the AO to the image and be done with it.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way? What is the workflow for adding AO shadows to a transparent composite in Photoshop?

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a pointer in the right direction...

PS It would be so great if the new Shadow Catcher shader had a little tick-box that said "Include AO shadows"... :wackywink:

this is a bit confusing..

lets say there is a way to output a AO alpha. wouldnt that just be an inverted pass of your existing AO pass?

So cant you just invert your ao render and use it as a mask to that same ao render in photoshop?