Corona Renderer for Cinema 4D
Corona Renderer for Cinema 4D
Petethevikin

An ambient occlusion (AO) alpha channel?

2 posts in this topic

Hi, this is probably one of those easy questions but it has me stumped...

My target is a transparent image (.png) with object, shadows and ambient occlusion (AO). It's an image that's supposed to go on a colored background on a web page so it's great just to have a transparent .png.

In C4D R18 everything works like a dream for object and shadows. I use the new Shadow Catcher shader to create the shadows and alpha (mask), composite in Photoshop and everything looks great. However, then I run an AO multipass render and that works fine, but what I really need (I think) is an AO alpha (mask) as well. With these two layers I could just add the AO to the image and be done with it.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way? What is the workflow for adding AO shadows to a transparent composite in Photoshop?

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a pointer in the right direction...

PS It would be so great if the new Shadow Catcher shader had a little tick-box that said "Include AO shadows"... :wackywink:

1 hour ago, Petethevikin said:

Hi, this is probably one of those easy questions but it has me stumped...

My target is a transparent image (.png) with object, shadows and ambient occlusion (AO). It's an image that's supposed to go on a colored background on a web page so it's great just to have a transparent .png.

In C4D R18 everything works like a dream for object and shadows. I use the new Shadow Catcher shader to create the shadows and alpha (mask), composite in Photoshop and everything looks great. However, then I run an AO multipass render and that works fine, but what I really need (I think) is an AO alpha (mask) as well. With these two layers I could just add the AO to the image and be done with it.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way? What is the workflow for adding AO shadows to a transparent composite in Photoshop?

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a pointer in the right direction...

PS It would be so great if the new Shadow Catcher shader had a little tick-box that said "Include AO shadows"... :wackywink:

this is a bit confusing..

lets say there is a way to output a AO alpha. wouldnt that just be an inverted pass of your existing AO pass?

So cant you just invert your ao render and use it as a mask to that same ao render in photoshop?