Rendercore Lab

TheJimReaper

1st Real Print!

TheJimReaper    24

Well I finally got there and printed my 1st real print.

It's been a loooooong weekend!  I set the printer up Friday and managed to print off the test file that comes with it. I had to calibrate the bed slight to make it level.  Once I did that, the printer decided it didn't want to talk to my pc anymore, so I spent 3 hrs playing with settings before it got to about 1am before I backed in for the night.  Saturday was pretty much the same thing until I ticked 1 little box and they started talking again.  So, I printed off a little tortoise type thing (another file that came with it), It wasn't 100% but not too bad.

So, at this point I'm fairly excited and open C4D and find the skull I modelled back in 2007!!!  I made a few adjustments to it so it had a flat base and scaled it down a bit and exported it out as an .stl file.  At this point the wife's nagging as the weekly food shop needs doing, so I have to quit for the day!!!

Sunday morning I opened the skull up in the software that comes with the printed, ran it through the slicer engine to create the layers for the printer, hit the print button eagerly and what happens? Nothing!!!  The printer and pc aren't talking again!!!  Everything is as I left it Saturday, so what the hell's gone wrong!!!  I went through everything, all the settings, I uninstall and reinstall, I did everything I could think of and nothing.

So this morning I phoned the tech support people to find that they're using a different slicer engine because the one that comes with the software talks a slightly different language to that of the printer. So after changing the slicer engine and re slicing my Skull I am finally up and running and have manged to create a 3D Print of it.  YAY!!!

I've got various photos showing 5 mins in the print, one just over an hour in, a couple of the finished print before I took it off the platform, one after it's had a little sanding, and a C4D render of the shull I sent to the printer.  It's not 100%, there's 1 or 2 small imperfections , but I can't complain.  I'm really impressed and already have another model printing, this time a pen stand for my wife's crafting stuff.  Overall the skull took 4hrs 50mins to print.  The first slicer engine had it down to 2hrs something, but the quality was no where near as good, so I don't mind the extra time if the quality of the print is going to be much better.

Hope you guys like it.

Jim

Skull C4D Render.jpg

1 hr In (2).jpg

5 Mins In.jpg

Fin after sand.jpg

Fin b4 sand 2.jpg

Fin b4 sand.jpg

• Like 2

Cerbera    1,254

Glad you got through your technical nightmare to a decent finished result :)

Tell me, do .stl files or does some other part of the process not acknowledge phong shading in your model, or did you make it intentionally faceted ? I'm guessing the latter from your render...

Would the normal process be to sand it down to get rid of the slice lines ?

CBR

VECTOR    392

Looking good man,  seeing this makes me really want to get printing some models! 

TheJimReaper    24
  • Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Glad you got through your technical nightmare to a decent finished result :)

Tell me, do .stl files or does some other part of the process not acknowledge phong shading in your model, or did you make it intentionally faceted ? I'm guessing the latter from your render...

Would the normal process be to sand it down to get rid of the slice lines ?

CBR

Yeah it was the latter, the original was sat in a HN so I reduced the subdivisions and made it editable.  You can't really see on the photo but there are some quite smooth parts on it where you can't see the slice lines.  I've still got some playing to do with settings to try and get a better look.  I printed out a pen stand for my wife last night for her crafting stuff and you can see pretty much every slice line on it.  I've yet to sand it down so might find that does the job.  There's the thickness of each slice and fill lines to adjust which all help with getting a smoother finish.  Both models were left at the default settings.

Simmy    54

Looks great. Which printer are you using?

TheJimReaper    24
  • Topic Author
  • Just now, Simmy said:

Looks great. Which printer are you using?

Using the CoLiDo Compact

Simmy    54

Thanks, I really want to get one but don't know a whole lot about them to be honest. If  you don't mind showing off what you get to print it would be appreciated.

TheJimReaper    24
  • Topic Author
  • You can print pretty much anything and everything Simmy.  I got about 10 models with the printer.  If I find some images of what they are I'll post them. The images of them that came with the printer are awful and you can't really see what they are.  I'll also share what I print off as I do it.