CApruzzese

New gothic horror animation

22 posts in this topic

Have you turned on back light colour in the hair material? Use it with a frenel and you may be able to get a slight rim light on the edge to enhance it a little. Ive been playing with recently and imo it just gives it a little something.

What other problems were you having with it?

Thanks for the tip re the magic book plugin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Simmy said:

Have you turned on back light colour in the hair material? Use it with a frenel and you may be able to get a slight rim light on the edge to enhance it a little. Ive been playing with recently and imo it just gives it a little something.

What other problems were you having with it?

Thanks for the tip re the magic book plugin

I didn't do that for this project, but it's a good idea.  Most of the animation takes place in a  room with light coming mostly from a fireplace.

My biggest issues are coverage, I keep forgetting where the clone function, that used to fill hairs is and getting a natural hairline. I only know the basics, maybe less since I rarely used it before. I have an idea for a cartoon dog though and I'd really like to use hair to it's fullest for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think maybe a smallest amount of light hitting the edge would just help lift it. I could be wrong though.

You are right about coverage. I think short hair is definitely the hardest to get looking correct and full but the clone function may be better than adding more hair in general in this case as you don't want too many calculations if you have dynamics turned on.

I tried adding fur to a dog before and struggled to get a consistent look where it transitioned between different lengths and especially around the face and muzzle. I expect that is just because I needed more practise. 

I certainly look forward to seeing more of this. It does have a very stylist approach in look and movement and kind of reminds me of Tim Burtons animated gothic endeavours.

 

Keep up the good work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Simmy said:

I think maybe a smallest amount of light hitting the edge would just help lift it. I could be wrong though.

You are right about coverage. I think short hair is definitely the hardest to get looking correct and full but the clone function may be better than adding more hair in general in this case as you don't want too many calculations if you have dynamics turned on.

I tried adding fur to a dog before and struggled to get a consistent look where it transitioned between different lengths and especially around the face and muzzle. I expect that is just because I needed more practise. 

I certainly look forward to seeing more of this. It does have a very stylist approach in look and movement and kind of reminds me of Tim Burtons animated gothic endeavours.

 

Keep up the good work

I started animation with stop motion and yes.. I seem stuck in that sort of movement because I love that looks so much. Each project I learn what i need to, after so many years you'd think I'd be a total expert but I'm not sure that is possible with so many functions in 3D now. I am thinking of putting a short dialogue on the café soon since I am still waiting to get the doctor's dialogue recorded. In the meantime I am working on a Poe film next and have been making the sets for that one and talking to the actor who will narrate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I little software render test clip.  You can easily see the jiggle effect on the night cap I used instead of cloth simulation. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that seems to work for me.  subtle yet clearly in line with head movement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a fall off added to give more jiggle to the tip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bobc4d said:

that seems to work for me.  subtle yet clearly in line with head movement

thanks! It was a simple way to get what I wanted. I just have to remember to turn the jiggle on for the final render! (It slows down the viewport)

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

Is there a fall off added to give more jiggle to the tip?

there is, the hat might have been more real looking if I used dynamic joints but I wanted a simpler solution

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks cool as it is. I would be tempted to test with a simple dynamic IK with fairly high stiffness to give the tip a little swing but either way good work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Simmy said:

It looks cool as it is. I would be tempted to test with a simple dynamic IK with fairly high stiffness to give the tip a little swing but either way good work

I should mention I did need to animate the strength of the jiggle to avoid his head going through the hat, but that did not take long. I really want to finish this project, just waiting on the doctor's dialogue to get recorded! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.