Corona Renderer for Cinema 4D
Corona Renderer for Cinema 4D
Push

Architectural Site Plan cost???

13 posts in this topic

I have been beaten on price by a big big margin.

I was quoting for a site plan of around 100 plots, about 25 separate buildings, 2 much bigger buildings, gardens, hedges, trees, roads etc

They were quoted near £5000 ( $6300)

Am I going mad, in the wrong job, or is that massively underpriced?

Not sure tbh, I think this is yours and only your decision. In my case it really depends in what position I am. Sometimes I will work heavyly underppriced just to help people, sometimes I will not work if I see that I really dont need to and sometimes I will work when something is underpriced, just because I dont have a choice. Being freelancer isnt the best option for safe income, but again, being freelancer gives you "freedom". 

What you can do is to accept the job and hire someone with the lower fees to do one part of a job. 

What, this sort of thing ? Where you only need incredibly simplified buildings, or was much more detail required ? And how many of the houses were the same ?

Overlook.thumb.jpg.683732491b4122e8553809f10b3afc68.jpg

It's really difficult to tell without all the details.

CBR

It would take me just too long to justify working for that amount, if anyone on here wants to do the work, how much would you charge?

Cerbera, yep something like that, but highly detailed. There's 25 separate buildings, some being similar so lets say 18 completely individual buildings. Still seems like a lot of work.

So, if you wanna get paid £50 an hour, which seems reasonable, that budget gives you 100 hours to get that done.

Let's ignore all the paths, and the greenery for now, and just look at the 18 houses and 2 massive buildings. Just for sh1ts and giggles let's pretend we're doing 20 houses, which leaves 5 hours tops to finish each one.

That may be enough for the smaller, less complex ones, but I'd bet it's not for the big ones, or even the more complex smaller models. And that's just the modelling. If they want things exact dimensions as well, that takes even longer !

And all those hedges might take quite some time to get looking just as they want, and by the time you've factored in trees, and sky, and lighting, and placement, and roads, and plots, we're running to about +50 or more hours over the 100 we allowed ourselves while we were trying to get paid properly :) 

So working at roughly that sort of scale, if you have to put in 200 hours to get this done, then you'd be on £25 / hour, and less if it takes longer.

I have done jobs for £25 an hour, but it's not ideally what I'm looking for, and £5000 for all that does seem at the bare limits of feasibility if the buildings are as detailed as you suggest.. I certainly couldn't model and texture all that in 100 hours. But then I am quite slow :) I'm sure there are speed-freak modellers out there who would tear through this, and perhaps it's one of those you're bidding against. 

I am working on a long term Film Foundation project at the moment for a record low of £10 per hour, but I've chosen to do that because of the artistic integrity of the project, and because it's all of the sort of work I most like, and none of the stuff I don't, and doesn't get in the way of better paid work. So I guess you just have to weigh each job on its merits and how much of  PITA' it is !

CBR

If I understand correctly you're talking about a purely 2D illustration right? i.e. Photoshop illustrative site plan?

With this, and pretty much ALL other cases, you should work out how many hours it would take you to complete the work (including revisions if you are allowing for those in the quote) and multiply by your standard hourly rate.

Attached is an illustrative masterplan I produced in 2008 (and a 100% crop of the same drawing). I'm guessing it's at least twice as complex as what you described. It took no more than 80 man hours. Lets assume your plan would also take 80 man hours, that £62.50 per hour, not as much as I would usually bill out at, but as I said, I'm sure your task is more simple.

In my opinion, you quoted too high, and your competition was asking for a fair price, but I may have misunderstood your exact specifications.

2017-03-28_20_08_02-.png

2017-03-28 20_14_08-EDLON-SI-IW-Illustrative_06.jpg ‎- Photos.jpg

1 person likes this

No, not 2D, what's required is detailed buildings for a flythrough.

Well, that's a little confusing, 'site plan' doesn't really suggest fly-through animation.

Nevertheless, the formula still applies, calculate how long the work would take...etc

If the rate comes out way under your usual rate, it doesn't mean you're in the wrong business or going mad, it just means the job isn't for you and the client's priority is an economic one.

Sorry, I should have made myself clear, site plan/flythrough :)

You're right, the job's not me.

24 minutes ago, tobyhumphrey said:

If the rate comes out way under your usual rate, it doesn't mean you're in the wrong business or going mad, it just means the job isn't for you and the client's priority is an economic one.

Well said. I find there are quite a lot of clients like that in the game :)

To me that's a crazy low amount for the work required. If they went with the insanely cheap option then it's likely they'll get a dodgy result. 

Plus in my experience the clients who have the lowest budgets are the most annoying to work with as they don't place any value on what you actually do, so therefore you get infinite changes ("This will only take an hour or two to do, right?").

I reckon you dodged a bullet there.

Can we assume your flyby was just over and around the structures and not inside them? Now THAT would be too much work.

You got beat by someone that is desperate for any work at all, or by a company that has a room-full of modellers that can crank it out quickly. Hell, they could be outsourcing to India or Malaysia for all you know. I lost out on a steady side client doing videos for TV. He found a new company that would do them for half of what I was charging and my price was already very low. I decided that I couldn't justify the work and late nights for half the money and away they went. I definitely missed the money, but my quality of life was better for it.