Cinema 4D Plugin
Cinema 4D Plugin
Simmy

BodyPaint 3D open beta

65 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Rectro said:

I found that if I used a Hotmail.com email address I got no link, I used another email address and it came through right away.

Dan

There's a lesson there ;)

45 minutes ago, teknow said:

Anyone in the US get theirs? I'm still waiting.

As I pointed out above, I got mine a second after I registered. I'm in the US.

How bizarre. I'm with att.net and after two requests, no email has been sent.

23 hours ago, teknow said:

How bizarre. I'm with att.net and after two requests, no email has been sent.

too weird, I used a second hotmail account nothing.  I used my gmail account and it was right there.

On 10/05/2017 at 6:20 AM, 3DKiwi said:

I wouldn't hold your breathe on expecting UV tool enhancements in R19 folks. All you can expect is a couple of minor tweaks to a couple of UV tools. Major enhancements are a long way off.

My guess is with the new painting enhancements you still can't paint with symmetry. You should be able to toggle symmetry painting on and off as you can in other apps.

In the video it shows symmetry. Not sure how to turn it on though. 

1 hour ago, mformatt said:

In the video it shows symmetry. Not sure how to turn it on though. 

Pretty sure the symmetry you see in the video is achieved by flipping and overlaying the UVs from one side on top of the UVs from the other. There's no built-in Symmetry painting in BodyPaint 3D (though Sculpting does have symmetry).

I do find this to be a bit mystifying. The focus seems to have been to improve viewport performance but not to question the basic premise or workflow of painting. Someone on one of the other forums commented about getting out old tutorials to remember how BP actually works as it's the same program with better viewport performance. I'm curious if this is going to change over the course of the beta or if this is it. And I wonder if the same will be true of the UV tools. The UV tools are notoriously kludgy and cumbersome compared to other options out there. I hope MAXON intends a much more aggressive overhaul in that area. 

My Bodypaint tutorials by the way are still relavent to Bodypaint. The only thing that has changed since recording the tutorials is a few Bodypaint layout changes and the addition of the UV peeler tool. The videos are free to download here:

https://vimeo.com/album/3431194

4 people like this

17 hours ago, RBarrett said:

Pretty sure the symmetry you see in the video is achieved by flipping and overlaying the UVs from one side on top of the UVs from the other. There's no built-in Symmetry painting in BodyPaint 3D (though Sculpting does have symmetry).

So this BP version is basically a code rewrite without any new features?

5 hours ago, zeden said:

So this BP version is basically a code rewrite without any new features?

My understanding is all they've done is replaced the previous software display mode when painting in Bodypaint with an OpenGL hardware display mode. This makes the viewport preformance a lot better plus more visually accurate.

Maybe new features like UV Tools "revamp", UDIM support, true symmetry tool, etc... will come but my guess is, only in 2 or 3 versions.

However, I do really hope I'm wrong, but they are so behind actual competitors like substance painter, Mari etc... that it will take time to code with their new core but eventually we'll get them all, who knows...

IMO, good point though, is the beta open and communication enhancement MAXON implemented.

All I know is that after a decade of stagnant development, BP user experience is today completly outdated in comparison with the competition. If MAXON update just the BP core for the next C4D release, they will face a backlash, it's better to wait one or more years  for a complete overhaul before leaving the beta program IMO.

2 people like this