Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

Simmy

BodyPaint 3D open beta

zeden    20
13 hours ago, Edouard said:

All I know is that after a decade of stagnant development, BP user experience is today completly outdated in comparison with the competition. If MAXON update just the BP core for the next C4D release, they will face a backlash, it's better to wait one or more years  for a complete overhaul before leaving the beta program IMO.

I think it makes sense to overhaul the core tech behind the tools first. And BP still after a decade has some stuff the others struggle with. For example in Mari you still cannot paint in multiple channels up to this day, right? BP has that for ten years now. Substance painter has serious limitations regarding texture size. BP is way stronger there. They have to do some serious catch up but the foundation of BP is not sooo bad to build on.

But is it really that hard to implement symmetry?

• Like 3

Edouard    18
6 hours ago, zeden said:

I think it makes sense to overhaul the core tech behind the tools first. And BP still after a decade has some stuff the others struggle with. For example in Mari you still cannot paint in multiple channels up to this day, right? BP has that for ten years now. Substance painter has serious limitations regarding texture size. BP is way stronger there. They have to do some serious catch up but the foundation of BP is not sooo bad to build on.

But is it really that hard to implement symmetry?

I don't understand why MAXON doesn't merge BP with their sculpting tools like Mudbox or Zbrush. Just look at the UV Paint plugin, MAXON has already all the foundations to create a new truly modern, efficient, streamlined and clean experience. I hope that UV Peleer and the "new" BP are just the technical pieces of something that is much more appealing...

Edouard    18

By the way, talking about the UV Paint plugin, developed by Kent Barber, the man behind the sculpting tools, it seems no longer available at the developer web page and all references to it have been deleted on forums and social medias. Mmm  it opens a lot of speculations now...  

hvanderwegen    34

BodyPaint is the sole reason I keep my old Cinema4d license. This update is a bit disappointing, to be honest - MAXON had a DECADE to work on improving BodyPaint, and they completely dropped the ball: they could have had the market cornered. Instead, players such as Substance Painter and Mari appeared.

And In the meantime ONE man in the scope of the past five months developed a BodyPaint "clone" in Blender with options like procedural texture layers and adjustment layers! It will be released next week:

I'll be getting that, and I can say my BodyPaint dependency finally goodbye. :-) And it looks like it's easier to use as well.

Lately a flurry of interesting (many forward-thinking) add-ons for Blender keep appearing. Available either for free or a dime. The same developer released an asset sketcher with PhysX Painter features last year.

• Like 3

zeden    20
7 hours ago, Edouard said:

By the way, talking about the UV Paint plugin, developed by Kent Barber, the man behind the sculpting tools, it seems no longer available at the developer web page and all references to it have been deleted on forums and social medias. Mmm  it opens a lot of speculations now...  

Let's hope they resigned him and bought his tools ;)

• Like 1

Vozzz    81
8 hours ago, Edouard said:

They renamed the tool and rolled it into their pdf publishing thing. not sure if they released it yet, but i remember getting and email about their intentions. confusing marketing move, but there it is..  https://www.4dpublish.com/paint-brush-tutorials

Edouard    18
2 hours ago, Vozzz said:

They renamed the tool and rolled it into their pdf publishing thing. not sure if they released it yet, but i remember getting and email about their intentions. confusing marketing move, but there it is..  https://www.4dpublish.com/paint-brush-tutorials

Those tutorials stay (maybe for current owners) but why delete all references to this product on the website, forums and social medias? There are no references on those tools on the 4Dpublish product page neither. That's confusing to say the least.

kbar    73
17 hours ago, Edouard said:

Just a quick note to say that the UV Paint technology is actively being developed. The technology will appear again later this year and all existing users will receive the update. The removal from social media was just for the removal of the sneak peek videos. The decision to discontinue it as a stand alone product was done for internal development reasons. More info will come later this year.

• Like 2

dredmix    4

Is does look promising. 

It was something that I never used, or completely forgot about.

I might give it a try latter. Good move on the open Beta thought. 

jwiede    27

While the BP viewport improvements are quite impressive in their own right (and they are!), the Beta does highlight just how outdated many aspects of the BP workflow are compared to more modern alternatives -- and in the same manner, that same light really shows the "dust" gathered on the UV tools and workflow.

I don't actually expect much more within R18 beyond the already-shown BP viewport improvements.  That said, I do think MAXON should consider throwing R18 customers another bone by finally adding symmetry (XYZ & radial) support in BP as well -- it's kind of ridiculous for any painting system to lack that functionality in this day and age.

On 5/16/2017 at 0:55 PM, kbar said:

Just a quick note to say that the UV Paint technology is actively being developed. The technology will appear again later this year and all existing users will receive the update. 

That's great to hear!

BTW, anyone looking for modern, efficient painting features and UX in C4D should take a serious look at this plugin/technology.

• Like 2

Marcosb    0

Re: Symmetry. To be fair, Photoshop doesn't have it either. Annoys the hell out of me, too.

BodyPaint doesn't compare favorably to stand-alone programs, but isn't it still better than what comes built in with other 3D software?

Edouard    18
On 6/4/2017 at 4:53 PM, Marcosb said:

BodyPaint doesn't compare favorably to stand-alone programs, but isn't it still better than what comes built in with other 3D software?

UV & Painting features in  Zbrush, Mudbox, Modo or Maya are much more intuitive and powerful  IMO

• Like 1