Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. :cowboypistol:

Check out premium "TD Master Section" training classes in Clubs section  and STORE!

Simmy

BodyPaint 3D open beta

Marcosb    0
21 hours ago, Edouard said:

UV & Painting features in  Zbrush, Mudbox, Modo or Maya are much more intuitive and powerful  IMO

UV's yes (except ZBrush, which has a rudimentary UV toolset from what I've seen and isn't really set up for it). Painting? ZBrush has polypainting, which is basically vertex paint and is just okay; Maya's implementation is pretty basic and not too intuitive, from what I recall; Modo I don't remember too well; Mudbox I haven't used (to paint with), but I've heard it's very good. However, it is a "stand-alone" program for sculpting and painting and I was comparing BodyPaint to built-in paint features in programs like Maya. I think of Mudbox as a kind of plug-in for Maya, making up for Maya's lack of sculpting and painting abilities.

coolcajun    0

Hoping they work on the UV creation/editing tools. At least have an Atlas or Atlas 2 mapping projection option. The visual feedback is welcome. Until C4D has better UV editing tools I will be using Modo to create and edit the UVs. I hope something is done in that regard.

alheck    4

Seeing the issues with UV mapping, I created some tutorials to help.  This is the first one:  http://www.renderready.com/?p=3274.  Once you get the first one down, UV mapping is really quite easy to do in C4D.  The only things I see lacking are a symmetry feature and a relax brush, but that can be done with some plugins.  I also put on some head unwrapping http://www.renderready.com/?p=3280, Bodypaint http://www.renderready.com/?p=3286, and even facial projection mapping http://www.renderready.com/?p=3290.  Hope this helps everyone!

• Like 2

MaxFiction    0

I want to learn Bodypaint because I like the idea of being able to complete many tasks within one application. Do you guys recommend that I should wait for this update before I tackle Bodypaint? i.e. will this be a complete overhaul?

Cerbera    1,120
13 hours ago, MaxFiction said:

I want to learn Bodypaint because I like the idea of being able to complete many tasks within one application. Do you guys recommend that I should wait for this update before I tackle Bodypaint? i.e. will this be a complete overhaul?

Well not me. BP as it is now is easy enough to learn (with the right tutorials and a little time / practice), and why wait to be able to UV stuff ? And I would bet that any solid grounding you had in the current version would help rather than hinder any subsequent efforts to learn the new version.

CBR 

• Like 1

jwiede    27
On 6/6/2017 at 8:48 AM, Marcosb said:

UV's yes (except ZBrush, which has a rudimentary UV toolset from what I've seen and isn't really set up for it). Painting? ZBrush has polypainting, which is basically vertex paint and is just okay; Maya's implementation is pretty basic and not too intuitive, from what I recall; Modo I don't remember too well; 

What version of ZBrush are you using?  Modern ZBrush4 UV, polygroups, spotlight, and polypaint toolset are actually quite powerful and flexible for both UV and texture painting work.  While the workflows for each are a bit different than the equivalents in "standard" 3D apps, once you take the time to understand the ZBrush workflows, its toolset are every bit as capable (and can work smoothly with very high poly-count objects that would choke "std" 3D pkgs).

Having used MODO for years, I'll just reaffirm what others here have said:  MODO's UV toolset is much more powerful than C4D's/BP's, and IMO, one of the most powerful UV toolsets on the market now (as of 11.1).  MODO's painting capabilities aren't as amazing, but still beat BP in areas like symmetry support, and overall ease of workflow (esp. w.r.t. map and channel controls).  I suspect the updated BP might win out over MODO when it comes to working with larger poly-count objects, but we'll have to see.

Rectro    496

Its also worth mentioning that in Zbrush you can send all your views of your model to Photoshop, and paint in there and when its returned it puts that paint data directly onto a texture map if one is created before Zapplink.  This means it dont matter about polypaint restrictions, however Zbrush can only go as high a 8k per uv tile in Zbrush which is fine for most things.  The UDIM baking process is also automatic.  I hope that when BP gets its Uv tools with it, evetualy it  allows UDIMs, and a better projection painting process like Zbrush.  Zbrush projection painting is very powerfull because you can manipulate the image prior to projecting such as scale, rotate, saturation, Hue, flip, and Nudge,  which is like liquidfy in Photoshop.

Dan