Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

Rendercore Lab

Unmastered

Solid Angle Arnold goes Subscription

Unmastered    47

https://www.solidangle.com/news/arnold-subscription-announcement/

It's a shame. Looked like a very good renderer and the C4D version got a lot of praise from Ashley from GSG. You can still buy a permanent license until April 2018,

but I wouldn't trust Autodesk after the they pulled this year with the incremental ups on maintenance values.

• Like 1

Igor    439

So another one goes to the dark side! :compHate:

nerv    208

Can I ask what the problem is with subscription services?  

I don't mind this move from them at all.  It actually does make Arnold more accessible to a lot of independent artists who wouldn't be able to shell out $1200 for a permanent license in one sitting.   I was equally happy when I saw that Adobe went subscription-based.  Would also be happy if MAXON went the same route - as long as the monthly pricing was reasonable.  

Unmastered    47

Well, it depends. I see the updates from Adobe (from CS6 to current CC) and I don't see much improvements at all. Luckily I'm fine with Affinity + Fusion + Resolve.

As for Autodesk ... if you haven't follow their behavior, give it a search online for the new 3ds Max 2018. They informed that they want to "help" customers by forcing them to trade their perpetual licenses to subscription. How will they do this? By increasing the price of maintenance for 5% this year, 10% next year and 20% the other year. Also keep in mind that when Solid Angle was purchased and they announced last year, they said that they wouldn't remove the perpetual license. A year later and they will. Basically, you shouldn't trust Autodesk.

The pricing doesn't look bad, but after all your renders are Arnold and your materials are done, etc, and Autodesk announces that now they'll increase Arnold licenses by 30%, I wonder if you will feel the same. :)

• Like 2

Cerbera    1,005
1 hour ago, nerv said:

Can I ask what the problem is with subscription services?  

Well, I can only tell you what my problems with it are. I want to own my software, not have my software owning me. I want to buy something and have it work forever, and pay for updates to it when I can afford to, and when I need to - IF the new product can justify the expense. And if it doesn't I don't see any reason at all that my old software should ever stop working on the OS for which it was intended.  All the work on it has been done and paid for. An MSA seems like the fairest way of paying for the latest work. There is nothing like the security of knowing your software will still work even if the internet is down for 3 months.

So like Autodesk and Adobe before them, Arnold has just ruled itself out of renderers I will consider.  A great shame.

CBR

• Like 3

nerv    208

I appreciate the explanations and understand your points. 

I still - personally - am ok with this move to subscription services. I think it keeps the cost of staying up-to-date lower.   

But I'm not going to get into a big debate over it. To each their own.   

Icecaveman    66
5 hours ago, nerv said:

I appreciate the explanations and understand your points. 

I still - personally - am ok with this move to subscription services. I think it keeps the cost of staying up-to-date lower.   

But I'm not going to get into a big debate over it. To each their own.   

The issue is FORCING customers into a subscription. I don't see much debate on that point. It sucks.

• Like 3

Rectro    475

I think subscriptions for some is a good thing, but as long as its offered as a choice.  Its when choice is removed that I get angry such as what The Foundry has now done as their only way as a upgrade path, only they sell you perpetual, but then force you onto a $599 £598 inc vat for a Maintenance.

In the Foundry's case they let old users get on a $399 £406 inc, maintenance subscription all the time you keep on the subscription without any gaps, if you stop it once, they wack you on a $599, £598 maintenance, thats nice of them.  I cant stand any company that play these games, and Im so glad I went over to Cinema 4D.  Im selling my MODO licence before they make it even more expensive.

Vray4C4D have been very fair with their pricing, and hope they keep the choices they do, their subscription is very cheap.

Why dont I personally like subscriptions?  If I hired all my software I own and id have no money to live on,  I dont need the latest tools all the time, and once I stop paying iv essentially got nothing left but files that are of no use to me anymore.

Dan

• Like 2

Unmastered    47
12 hours ago, Rectro said:

In the Foundry's case they let old users get on a $399 £406 inc, maintenance subscription all the time you keep on the subscription without any gaps, if you stop it once, they wack you on a $599, £598 maintenance, thats nice of them.  I cant stand any company that play these games, and Im so glad I went over to Cinema 4D.  Im selling my MODO licence before they make it even more expensive.

Think of these maintenance as MAXON MSA, but without Cineversity. :)

The only actual downside I see is the need to login every 30-days. This is a pain in the ass, literally. But I think the only reason I'm not committed to Modo is because of the lack of render choices. Yeah, VRay is well integrated, but I actually am loving Redshift. And I won't support Otoy, so there's fewer choices.

Icecaveman and Rectro pointed nicely what I feel about the removing of choice.

javigildd    2

I don't really think is a clever movement for Solid Angle this subscription's thing. I'm an Arnold user, and yes, it IS amazing, and the detail it gives it's outstanding, but it is still a very pricy render engine, and if they start messing around with their perpetual users they are really going tohave a problem called Otoy, cause they offer another awesome render engine (Octane) for third the price they are asking for.

I'm aware that Arnold it is not really comparable to Octane, but in this industry (and any other) "money talks", and no one should mess around with the budget.

• Like 1