Harlaxton Manor Arch Viz WiP

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Quick GI test render - Irradiance Cache / QMC: 22 mins

Harlaxton-198GI.thumb.jpg.7c7423cf68a0673ff4d47074f6944789.jpg

CBR

looking good man, only thing i think is the grass looks a little to neat, even for a manor of this magnitude.:) 

Yeah I agree. Note Gi version has no actual grass - took it out to reduce render times - I imagine it'll get rougher when the grass goes back in, but that may still be a little too neat...

Yeah I agree. Note Gi version has no actual grass - took it out to reduce render times - I imagine it'll get rougher when the grass goes back in, but that may still be a little too neat...

I feel like it could benefit from a handful of zombies sprawled all over it, with a priest equipped with a high powered rifle by the clock tower there, with a caption "keep off the lawns" 

Nice work Jay, great model

Personally, for me entire model/object look very square for me, if I modeled myself this kind of object, rather than SDS I would use simple polygons with tiny beveled edges...

Ofcourse, SDS in some cases needed.

On 2017-5-27 at 7:56 PM, bezo said:

Nice work Jay, great model

Personally, for me entire model/object look very square for me, if I modeled myself this kind of object, rather than SDS I would use simple polygons with tiny beveled edges...

Ofcourse, SDS in some cases needed.

That's a good point there, Lubo, and I did give it some careful thought before I started - of course I am aware the standard way to make arch viz buildings usually doesn't involve subdivision at all, but I felt that due to the age of the building, and the sheer amount of curvy bits  and carved detail, and given the subtle point randomisation I was planning to put into it finally, that SDS would best give me segmentation everywhere I needed it. 

Got to go back to the client stuff for a while now, but I will be back to continue this, where I'll add that randomisation to both geometry and textures, hopefully losing something of the square look you mentioned, and then to finish it off with a healthy dose of flower borders, foliage, and possibly even some X-Particles ivy ! :)

J

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

That's a good point there, Lubo, and I did give it some careful thought before I started - of course I am aware the standard way to make arch viz buildings usually doesn't involve subdivision at all, but I felt that due to the age of the building, and the sheer amount of curvy bits  and carved detail, and given the subtle point randomisation I was planning to put into it finally, that SDS would best give me segmentation everywhere I needed it. 

Got to go back to the client stuff for a while now, but I will be back to continue this, where I'll add that randomisation to both geometry and textures, hopefully losing something of the square look you mentioned, and then to finish it off with a healthy dose of flower borders, foliage, and possibly even some X-Particles ivy ! :)

J

Don't forget the zombies on the laws!

5 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

Don't forget the zombies on the lawns!

GI Vector, have you not noticed what the latin text on the balcony says ? We can't have slain Zombies on the front lawn of our IQP Terra Quadrant headquarters, can we ?

What am I paying our gardening division for if they can't even keep our lawns corpse-free ? 

CBR

12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

GI Vector, have you not noticed what the latin text on the balcony says ? We can't have slain Zombies on the front lawn of our IQP Terra Quadrant headquarters, can we ?

What am I paying our gardening division for if they can't even keep our lawns corpse-free ? 

CBR

Oh lordy, he didn't get the memo.

2 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

Oh lordy, he didn't get the memo.

The important thing to remember is that neither you, me, or the gardners mention ANYTHING about the top secret control bunker we've got under the main house.

The important thing to remember is that neither you, me, or the gardners mention ANYTHING about the top secret control bunker we've got under the main house.

the gardeners are on strike man, damn union. not a whisper of the super duper top secret high tech underground experimental bio weapon research and development complex

There are lot of lions dotted around Harlaxton, mostly astride various column heads, or reclining in alcoves around the building. Initially I thought I might leave them out, but it seemed a shame, and I had a spare weekend, so knocked up a quick base mesh to see how far I'd get.

5934a33b984b3_StoneLion35.thumb.jpg.d31137bdddc7709c9e8525b7d1808054.jpg 5934a3500be67_StoneLion35Cubic.thumb.jpg.fa6442db6e0e334c167e41dd56757922.jpg

My first lion is one of the more content ones (others look considerably more cross, and some are actually attacking others) that will sit astride the right side pavilion column stacks.

Once I'd built the base mesh I thought I'd just throw a quick cubic texture on to see if there was any chance I could get away with not UVing and sculpting it, but I can't, so I will :)

But here's where I got to so far... 

CBR

Archived