Harlaxton Manor Arch Viz WiP

Cerbera

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Cerbera said:

...and now with better textures... definitely needs some sculpt detail though, so that's what I'm doing next...

Lion-28B.thumb.jpg.0bf314d1c99d3c49b1b7ae6ed0633137.jpg

CBR

I like the non-clean old worn look of the lion, makes it look like it's been there centuries.

6 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

I like the non-clean old worn look of the lion, makes it look like it's been there centuries.

Yeah, you're spot-on there. I'm very conscious that I can't add too much detail without making it look newer, but stonemasons of the time would have done a better job on face and mane details, so will improve those, but not too much, as weathering will undoubtedly have damaged / worn away a lot of it. We're also dealing with what people in the 18th century thought lions looked like when they were mainly working from hand drawn pictures, and hadn't necessarily ever seen one; hence the slightly romanticised proportions and incorrect number of paw pads / toes, a surprisingly common mistake at the time ! :)

Refined my base mesh for some facial detail, and before I head in to sculpt, couldn't resist a little GI test render (IC/QMC, PR, Adaptive / Automatic / 12%).

For a 2 minute render time I'm quite pleased with that...

Lion-40.thumb.jpg.ff8fc986dccfa339a5a5f27329d5c650.jpg

It's a massive hit CBR !!

grass is a bit too even but I'm sure you will give it a brush. The central area of the building is a visual vortex. I agree slightly with @bezo that some of the outer sections look slightly boxy but only because the central segment is so rich. I think the modelling looks spot on but I think it's more about painting a bit of difference into these textures, which I'm sure you have planned. 

On an an unrelated note. I have an urge to try and lob rolls of toilet paper over that building. Do you think it's possible? And you need a BBQ and a parasol on the left side of the image.

51 minutes ago, spiralstair said:

It's a massive hit CBR !!

grass is a bit too even but I'm sure you will give it a brush. The central area of the building is a visual vortex. I agree slightly with @bezo that some of the outer sections look slightly boxy but only because the central segment is so rich. I think the modelling looks spot on but I think it's more about painting a bit of difference into these textures, which I'm sure you have planned. 

Thanks Sprial, it's getting there :) Yep, that was only first rough texture pass, and grass is a long way from finished - eventually I'll get those stripes into the front lawn by alternately brushing the mow lines...

51 minutes ago, spiralstair said:

I have an urge to try and lob rolls of toilet paper over that building. Do you think it's possible?

I think you'd be struggling unless you brought your own trebuchet. And the caretaker will be furious.

CBR

Finally had some time to sit down and get UVing / sculpting some stone lion fur. Had to unwrap it 3 times before I found the right seam combination, but then sculpting was excellent fun, and I did some quite detailed mane-work before going to town with the scrape, flatten and erase tools until it looked thoroughly worn down by time and weather.

So here's my pretty much final on what will be the right side pavilion column lions. 

Physical sky, GI, and a photo I took earlier doing a pretty nice job between them I thought...

(GI, AO, PR, DoF, Adaptive, Automatic, 12% Render Time: 3 mins).

Lion-Sculpt-059.thumb.jpg.d33125d3380bac9407d1b33614ddcc30.jpg  Lion-Sculpt-Start-59B.thumb.jpg.9ca9cb73315e3d51ad21ac183c5761b4.jpg

Next up - Right Side Pavilion Stairways and Side Gardens.

CBR

22 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Finally had some time to sit down and get UVing / sculpting some stone lion fur. Had to unwrap it 3 times before I found the right seam combination, but then sculpting was excellent fun, and I did some quite detailed mane-work before going to town with the scrape, flatten and erase tools until it looked thoroughly worn down by time and weather.

So here's my pretty much final on what will be the right side pavilion column lions. 

Physical sky, GI, and a photo I took earlier doing a pretty nice job between them I thought...

(GI, AO, PR, DoF, Adaptive, Automatic, 12% Render Time: 3 mins).

Lion-Sculpt-059.thumb.jpg.d33125d3380bac9407d1b33614ddcc30.jpg  Lion-Sculpt-Start-59B.thumb.jpg.9ca9cb73315e3d51ad21ac183c5761b4.jpg

Next up - Right Side Pavilion Stairways and Side Gardens.

CBR

excellent texturing CBR !!!

please ignore this comment if you are working directly from reference - but might be worth mentioning that usually real stone sculpting might not have a gap under the rear leg/belly. due to weight of stone and rear leg/thigh muscles would be more meaty. In some cases a gap might be there to add drama. If you go with the current shape I would add in more weathering/moss etc. into these areas. 

FYI the Trafalgar square lions are often joked about in sculpting circles because the legs were actually modelled from a scaled up version of a greyhound. 

11 minutes ago, spiralstair said:

might be worth mentioning that usually real stone sculpting might not have a gap under the rear leg/belly. due to weight of stone and rear leg/thigh muscles would be more meaty

That's a good point there, @spiralstair and I concur wholeheartedly. I think his back feet should be hard in against his body for the same reason. I may go back and fix that, but not sure I fancy all the UVing / sculpting again quite so soon :) And I went to insert him into my side pavilion builder scene yesterday only to discover I'd overwritten it with some ocean surface experiment :compHate:, so have a little work to do again before I'm ready for further advancement !

Archived