Harlaxton Manor Arch Viz WiP

This week, I've been working on more stone details, specifically my grim reaper gargoyle - I've been building his head. Initially this was going to be ultra low poly, but I got a bit absorbed in the complexity of skulls in general, and wanted to do something a little more detailed. I've made it 20% more 'evil' than regular skulls, for obvious reasons. 7K polys so far, most of them in the teeth :)

5944f277e78ef_ReaperSkull1.thumb.jpg.1b7a1cd067c12c0bbe26494662105f3a.jpg

Oh, and couldn't resist adding some scary eyes, just to see what that looked like...

5944f27b981d1_ReaperSkull2.thumb.jpg.5cc2ce986f03b80be23dc98c04339abd.jpg

CBR

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, DanLSK said:

I love that you let us see your edge flow, I'm loving the skull !

Cheers dude. Yeah always good to show your flow. Talking of which, I've retopo'd the back bit now for a much improved flow in that area.  Will upload that here when I've finished his robes and scythe and stuff.

Surprisingly, the biggest challenge I am facing with the gargoyles is that I'm going to have to find a way to make them solid concrete complete with fascia / blanking panels and no hanging out bits where the concrete couldnt' support its own weight. Whilst it's easy to do that with robes and sleeves and folds, it's considerably harder with a skull in a hood and a massive scythe ! I might end up collisioning the skull model with a suitably shaped plane so that it looks like that's all one solid piece of geometry that can be first sculpted up in detail, then sculpt damaged back down again... all this just to make it look like it's one solid chunk of rock that's been there properly ages.

CBR

This week working on robes, cowl and scythe base meshes and just getting things into general position before I add some carved skeletal hands.

Leaving most of the folds and robe detail to sculpting, and haven't got the silhouette / proportions quite right yet, but it's on its way...

594d69c271087_Reaper60A.thumb.jpg.9b7a2a2f978da83b124b58f314b9aa9e.jpg 

594d69c4791de_Reaper60B.thumb.jpg.690f4df06fcf8bcc182eb89425f8474d.jpg 594d69c626a21_Reaper60C.thumb.jpg.5d37e2d5893360ea6b581e4a1eb170bd.jpg

Can't decide if his scythe handle should be straight or contoured like real ones are.

Making life unnecessarily difficult for myself, I've decided he should probably be standing on a mound of broken skulls as well, so there's that to do too, but it's all good solid 3D fun...

CBR

Wasn't looking imposing enough with some test textures on, so have increased evilness by another 30% !!

Still no sculpting yet, but I have done some UV's, so just checking those out to see what we've got...

But help me out cafe - I can't decide - eyes or no eyes ???

Reaper-78a.thumb.jpg.b6670b78ec9805b97b3cf53b707c7ea5.jpg Reaper-78b.thumb.jpg.813650256b6f6e613a5329ed5038587a.jpg

Oh, and added a small skull hill for him to stand on (he'll be in an alcove later, but he's out in the open for lighting tests)...

Reaper-78c.thumb.jpg.6380bb6cd74d819b147f4dc192a98f9d.jpg

PS: I am stoically not listening to any comments from @spiralstair whose words will invariably (and correctly!) include the phrases 'too thin for the weight', and 'can't possibly support itself' ;) Actually, I am listening, and will make the staff and blade a lot thicker, and cement it to his head and shoulder.

CBR

46 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Wasn't looking imposing enough with some test textures on, so have increased evilness by another 30% !!

Still no sculpting yet, but I have done some UV's, so just checking those out to see what we've got...

Reaper-78a.thumb.jpg.b6670b78ec9805b97b3cf53b707c7ea5.jpg Reaper-78b.thumb.jpg.813650256b6f6e613a5329ed5038587a.jpg

Oh, and added a small skull hill for him to stand on (he'll be in an alcove later, but he's out in the open for lighting tests)...

Reaper-78c.thumb.jpg.6380bb6cd74d819b147f4dc192a98f9d.jpg

PS: I am stoically not listening to any comments from @spiralstair whose words will invariably (and correctly!) include the phrases 'too thin for the weight', and 'can't possibly support itself' ;) Actually, I am listening, and will make the staff and blade a lot thicker, and cement it to his head and shoulder.

CBR

No eyes. something about a creature having no eyes that makes it way more scary.

On 24/06/2017 at 5:42 PM, Cerbera said:

CBR

Hello @Cerbera

firstly congrats again at a technically brilliant model - without sculpting!!! - it's amazing that you can think through edge flow like this.

secondly, an aside - I'm slightly suspicious that there would be a reaper like this in an Elizabethan Manor House - But what the hell , you are remaking it as yours. I only say this because before we talk about the model itself and it's construction, looking and drawing in detail from contemporary sculpture would help enormously in understanding the rules of sculpting in stone IRL. A brief google search for harlaxton shows a couple of intersting pieces.

ok - and thirdly (the meat) - so this is an Elizabethan building built in light (or in the shadow) of Italian baroque. You therefore HAVE to look at Benini. He was the greatest at so many things - in particular the core issues of balance, scale and verisimilitude. Since starting to learn poly modelling I've noticed a lot of similarities to stone carving. Largely to do with the kind of planning required in advance, in stone there is also a kind of edge flow to consider. Look at Benini and the ways in which he would incorporate the shape of the body with the overall shape of the sculpture. There are simple cues like the way in which the hand stands apart from the sleeve (which in the baroque would be seamlessly interwoven). Likewise the biggest (literally the biggest) feature of this model is and should be the cloth. The folds, the creases the flows. Benini made solid rock look like it was blowing in a gale and gave it a sense of lightness which is paradoxical with its heaviness. Meanwhile his sculptures still stand beautifully several hundred years later. 

So my main comment here is to let the cloth (the biggest part) tell most of the story. And since you are in the gothic mode think about how in gothic horror and now-gothic horror the scene and the setup tell more about the imminent mood of what will happen than any dialogue or action. In the neo-gothic mode I think a lot about the film susperia and how you always know what's about to happen based on the patterns in the wall paper (as well as the music and the pace of cutting)

so I don't think you need to open up marvellous designer - but I do think that the flow of the cloth should say a lot more about the Atmos of the scene and the figure than it currently does.

im breaking the fourthwall to state that I generally assume (with love)  that at least 50% of c4d cafe members previously painted games workshop models (I did and i use it as a mental reference throughout most of the c4d work I do) just look at a really good GW model to see how the baroque tropes can be used to emphasise drama. 

Forget the eyes being the punctum of the model - it's a lie, in sculpture it's all in the cloth and jaw line. (and you are winning with the jaw line) 

keep up the great work CBR !!!

IMG_6379.JPG

IMG_6380.JPG

On 6/24/2017 at 9:42 AM, Cerbera said:

Reaper-78b.thumb.jpg.813650256b6f6e613a5329ed5038587a.jpg

CBR

I personally like the no eye look.  

Archived