Insydium Cycles
Insydium Cycles
spiralstair

Drawing with light (physical rendering)

6 posts in this topic

Hi all - in photography there are many examples of people using camera on tripod with very slow shutter speed (1 min) and then waving a bright light (sparkler/torch etc) in front which produces light trails.

ive been trying to figure out how to replicate this kind of effect in c4d first as a photo and then as an animation. 

Using a physical camera - and a light position which follows a spline - I can't think how I can force the light to follow the spline in the space of a single frame?

How physical is a physical render?

here is piccasso to illustrate

many thanks

paul

IMG_6093.JPG

Would the tracer do ? I made these light trails with it

tracer.jpg

video is here

1 person likes this

You wouldn't want it moving in 1 frame though would you? Wouldn't you animate over 25 frames or 30 frames (whatever your chosen FPS is) and have the shutter speed on the physical camera match to catch that movement?

I don't know if it would render the expected result but wouldn't take long to test a simple scene.

If not then just fake it like jed suggested.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, nerv said:

Definitely easy to fake with a spline + spline wrap (keyframing the "to/from" values).  

giphy.gif

Scene file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wl69818yntxem2/somenerv-lightTrail1.c4d?dl=0

Ah - this is interesting - many thanks @nerv 

I don't know much about spline wraps - is there a way to control the falloff so that the light fades out over time?

EDIT: 

sorry my bad - didn't look at the settings enough - just need to modify the start value ;-)

@spiralstair no problem.  

Take a look at the scene file and you'll see how the spline wrap works. 

If you are talking about the light fading out following the same motion, you can simply keyframe the "from" value in the spline wrap deformer to go from 0% to 100%, however many frames behind the "to" value you think looks best.  

giphy.gif

If you are talking about the light fading out uniformly, you can keyframe the luminance amount on the material to decrease over time.  

giphy.gif

1 person likes this