• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobc4d

*** is so hard about saying thank you?

• Topic Author
  • I've been debating posting this for a week or so and this topic has probably been beaten to death before but what is so hard about saying thank you when you post a question and people go out of their way to respond and help you? I'm not asking for a long love letter to express your gratitude or anything, just a quick "TY that helps", something to let me know my effort wasn't in vain.   hell, I would not mind "you idea was a POS", something, anything,  just reply with something to acknowledge my/our effort.

ok, rant is done

I don't have a dirty mind because I use Mental Floss.

I know, and the amount of people who use likes is about 10% !! :)

But no need to rant, you need the CBR approval / response system ! :) If I help someone, and they don't respond, that gets noted, and they get one more chance next time they ask, and if they still don't say anything nice, then they go on my cafe ignore list, never to be helped again ! Likewise if I think they are using their dodgy crack copies, or send me demanding private messages just assuming I'll help and have infinite time in which to do so, that's also a shortcut straight to my lists :) 

But on the whole I don't need to block people very often (apart from the crack thieves who I usually spot at a rate of 3 every day !)

But most people are quite nice, and some people really go out of their way to say thank you - occasionally I get sent random paypal cash or 'beer donations'.  And always remember, if you don't get thanked, who cares really - you did a good thing, and that in itself puts you in a morally good place you can be pleased about independent of anyone else agreeing ! :)

But thank yous are nice - of course everyone likes appreciation for their hard work, so your thoughts are entirely understandable...

CBR

Unfortunately people are selfish @Cerbera and i have had many a conversation about this. Ultimately this won't change, but it's the people who continue to help regardless that keep the community going. Now i do feel like there should be some sort of reward for this, other than the reputation system, which would soften the blow for people when they feel a lack of appreciation for their efforts. Cerbera is constantly at the top of the contributors list, week in and week out and i'd like to see that recognised. It seems a lot of people just make accounts to get an answer to something they need to know then sod off just as quickly, maybe there could be some sort of minimum post number before you're allowed to create a thread. I think this would help weed out the people who are just out for themselves? Either way it's a problem that bugged me for a while which is why i dont give away free models any more.

I think lot of times those one time posters don't even log back when they get their solution and probably get it from finding video tut shortly after posting on here. 

But then again active contributors like Cerbera is what keeps these forums so effective and helpful.  

I'm  pretty sure that is how I found this forum , probably searching for solution and came across someones helpful thread. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there might be way more people thankful than the ones asking for help,  you just wont hear it form them as they just browsing trough.

So thanks to all those who contribute here and keep up the good work, I sure appreciate it 

Let me thank all contributors here as well. Especially @Cerbera and @Rectro have been very helpful regarding some issues I had in the past. Let me also thank the maintainers of this site. They do a great job (e.g. @SIgor)

Don't kill me , if I forgot someone.

Some good points made here.  I try not to think about it too much, but when iv gone out my way to provide long explanations, scene files, visual illustrations, or even a video and the OP dont even return at all it would seem, that annoys me, but I reflect that someone one day will come across the same issue and find it helpful.  Its something that just cant be helped other than maybe put a big banner at the top of the forum.

Often is the case speaking for myself here, I find at least iv done my bit when I can, and it helps me learn by replicating, and solving others problems.  If only some posters would realise that problem solving is a skill that should be worked on along with learning the software, and that the search features along with Google, Youtube most times comes up with an answer, hence why I help answer more questions than ask them, and Im relatively still new to C4D.

Dan

21 minutes ago, Rectro said:

If only some posters would realise that problem solving is a skill that should be worked on along with learning the software

Amen to that. And I agree with this thread, the super contributors keep C4D cafe going and high quality. Thanks guys!

You guys really shouldn't be bothered about it, simply let it go. Like Cerbera said, if you helped thats great for you, no matter what, you did a good thing. And if you are like Cerbera, one day you will be recognized, just like he is and Rectro and in the end Hrvoje, as he is a great example for this topic. In his time, while Nigel was in charge, he was a massive help out here, but he also donated, had banner here and he recorded tutorials and he didn't get anything in return, except chipper banner ad, but he also never ever asked for anything in return, everything he did in the end got him to Maxon where he work right now. :)

From my perspective, I can say there is many factors that go into this. How you were raised, how old are you, with who you hanging after school in school, what kind of friends you have, all of that can be a factor in saying thank you to those who helped you when you needed. Saying thank you is something you learn in life from people you are surrounded and some aren't lucky unfortunately to learn that from someone. Many tutors in Cinema circles are promoting politeness, kindness etc., and we all who have that inside us, should do the same.  

So to sum this up, if you are helping, make sure you don't expect anything in return, its the best thing you can do for yourself. ;) 

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys.  I just needed to get it off my chest, I had a rough week.  Cerbera and SIgor and many others help so many people, myself included on many occasions, thanks just does not seem enough.  This is a terrific community and am very glad to see it continue.  I will continue to help out when and where I can.

I am old as dirt and was brought up to say please, thank you, yes sir, no sir, excuse me and to hold the door open for ladies and seniors.  :respect:

I don't have a dirty mind because I use Mental Floss.

It's worth pointing out that it's not completely obvious how to subscribe to a topic when you create a new one. If you're asking a newb question, it's likely you're not a regular to forums like these. Or maybe you have a question but you're not a forum junky like some of us, and again, you miss the option to subscribe.  My point is, perhaps it's not always the fault of the asker.

You are not helping folks on c4d cafe just because you wanna be acknowledged for every helpful post, right?

It is a good habit of saying TY or hitting the like button, but the fact 90% people don't do it makes me appreciate even more those 10% who do.

If you feel you're not getting appreciated, you don't have to help. It is a privilege, not an obligation.

Anyway, I like the idea, so I like the OP.

FVFX - 3D modelling | Shading | Lighting | Compositing

I could be being generous here, but I'm sure sometimes a noob is overwhelmed by the answer and feels a bit embarrassed to say 'can I have that in English'.

I realise it's hard to guess the level of knowledge the enquirer has, but if the noob question is 'how do I make this cube look nice?' and the reply is 'use a matrix fracture with a Voroni object and turbulence  noise in the reflectance alpha channel with PLA set to negative infinity with a spline deformer mapped to a random vector using Python', the noob will think 'maybe C4D isn't for me'.

You see replies here that just say something like 'use a step effector', and I think if the guy knew what a step effector was and how to use it he wouldn't be asking.

I've got to admit I'm guilty of both blinding people with science, and being ashamed to ask for a better explanation. Maybe ashamed is a bit strong, but you get my drift.

• BLOGS / NEWS & SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

About Us

C4D Cafe is the largest Cinema 4D community. We provide facilities for discussion, showcasing and learning our favourite software.
    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, watch tutorials directly from our video gallery,  get your own private messenger, post and upload images, manage your profile and much more. If you need to find solution to your problem or otherwise ask for help, C4D Cafe is the right place to be for learning 3D.  :cowboypistol: