Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3D-Pangel

Plugin Development - What Happened?

• Topic Author
  • Okay...this post will most likely promote some strong push back.  But try to read it with an open mind.

We all have some pretty strong feelings about the pace of MAXON development and their inability to really share what they are working on for the next release.  Nothing is ever fast enough and we want to know everything that they are doing.   But what I find interesting is that no one ever complains about the pace of plugin development and the lack of information coming from them. Here are some examples:

Ensydium - They purchase ExplosiaFX almost a year ago but so far we have not seen any of its features surface yet in any of its products nor even gotten a glimpse as to what they intend to do with it.  I would have imagined that the purchase was made to shorten the development time for a fluid simulation tool set.  Not sure what they paid for it, but I am wondering if the strong push for Cycles 4D sales and X-Particles discounts is result of a cash flow issue because incorporating ExplosiaFX into something that generates sales (X-Particles 4.0 maybe) is about due....by the way, it has been about a 1.5 years (18 months) since X-Particles 3.5 was released.

3D Quakers - Forester for C4D is coming up on 2 years now without a major update.  Great plugin, but it certainly has room to grow.  Also, there was some hint about a year ago of a drive simulation plugin, but still haven't seen that yet or heard anything more about it.

HB Modeling -- Some really great hints about the HB Modeling Toolset update with modeling symmetry, etc about 9 months ago...so far, other than a very enticing Vimeo demo....nothing.

Jawset - Turbulence FD hasn't had a major update in years.  Great plugin...just love it and I love the fact that Jawset releases service patches regularly without charge.  But what is next?  Is there something next?  How does this guy stay in business? No idea.

I know that these are single person shops and not full teams (well....Ensydium may have more than one developer) and so comparisons to MAXON are unfair.  But also remember that the code base for a script or a plugin is also a lot smaller than Cinema 4D --- most likely by a huge factor.  

I guess my point is this: we  get on MAXON's case for not communicating their development plans and taking too long to release features, but MAXON releases something every year and we know exactly when to expect an announcement.  But we are pretty silent about what is next from our plugin developers and it appears that we are waiting longer with them for some news than we are with MAXON.   Is that a fair criticism?  I think so, especially when some of these plugins are not cheap either.  

Now...don't get me wrong...I love our plugin developers but it would be nice to hear from them as well as to their future plans (if any).

Dave

I'll bite a little on this one, I can only offer a brief reply... those that attended NAB saw first hand what we've got coming and detailed news will be along in due course. Integration of ExplosiaFX will not disappoint, it is a fantastic and fast system with render support already in the latest Cycles 4D. If you really want to know what INSYDIUM has coming, sign up to our newsletter, like our FB or follow us on twitter. You clearly missed that we announced during NAB that the massive XP4 is coming Q4 2017.

• Topic Author
  • 32 minutes ago, daveo said:

I'll bite a little on this one, I can only offer a brief reply... those that attended NAB saw first hand what we've got coming and detailed news will be along in due course. Integration of ExplosiaFX will not disappoint, it is a fantastic and fast system with render support already in the latest Cycles 4D. If you really want to know what INSYDIUM has coming, sign up to our newsletter, like our FB or follow us on twitter. You clearly missed that we announced during NAB that the massive XP4 is coming Q4 2017.

Dr. O'Reilly (given what you can accomplish, "Mr." just does not cut it ;-),

Interesting that you mention both NAB and the newsletter.  I do get the newsletter, but there was nothing in there about XP-4 in newsletters that were released after NAB unless  I completely missed it underneath all the information about Cycles 4D (service patches, new reflectance features, extended demo, etc).

In fact, it was that apparent silence about XP-4 after NAB that prompted me to start wondering what the hell is going on.  I also visited the Insydium web page for any information on the next XP release but the only thing listed under "News" is again Cycles 4D related.    Honestly, if you are announcing things at NAB about XP-4, why is it not on your own news page?

It's almost as if Cycles 4D has consumed mind share and resources within Insydium and XP (which put you guys on the map) has become an after thought.

What you just shared about XP-4 is great, exciting and encouraging.  But where is that type of vibe being created outside of NAB?

Now don't misconstrue these criticisms.  I love you guys and want you to be wildly successful but please shift a little bit of your PR machine away from Cycles 4D and back to XP because it has been too long.

Dave

8 hours ago, daveo said:

Wow... XP4 ? count me in! Do you have a vimeo or youtube video from the NAB? or is it in Cineversity?

Well, if you find the silence of MAXON plugins to be bad, take a look at Modo and cry. You probably can count in one hand the amount of good plugins available. :D

Not even render engines Modo has besides V-Ray. Such a shame ...

For me the problem with Cinema 4D is that they don't provide a proper learning version for hobbyist or learning purposes. I mean ... Modo has Modo Indie. Autodesk has the free education, which I was able to get a 3-year license while I was studying a master degree which was unrelated to design/animation/3d. Houdini has been the best in this with apprentice and Indie.

But Cinema 4D you only have 42-days and than you have to buy or you have a version that doesn't save. How can I study without saving? Unless they consider doing only spheres like GSG Nick is more than enough.

Because of that, I don't use Cinema 4D anymore. My R14 Student version which I was able to by in 2014 isn't suitable anymore. I wish MAXON could create something like apprentice where the render is for Full HD only, you can save (on a non-commercial format) and it's compatible with the 90% off X-Particle version. Keep in mind ... I just wanted to learn Cinema 4D and build a reel. After I'm working, I wouldn't have a problem purchasing both for freelance work.

But apparently they don't care about it. The only middle term I found was subscribing to FXPHD, where I would have access to their VPN and Cinema 4D R17, but at a cost of $79/month. With Modo Indie costing me $7/month, Houdini being free and my account still working with the student version of Autodesk products, it's hard to choose Cinema 4D.

As far as Forester goes, a major new version is under heavy development. There is no time frame for a release date yet, but it will be worth the wait.

Charbel

Welcome on c4dcafe Charbel,

Great to hear good news directly from plugin developer...

• Topic Author
  • On 5/26/2017 at 2:07 PM, IIIDQUAKERS said:

As far as Forester goes, a major new version is under heavy development. There is no time frame for a release date yet, but it will be worth the wait.

Charbel

Welcome to the Cafe......really great to hear from you.  You might be interested to know that it was Forester that enticed me to walk away from e-on's Plant Factory and seriously considering dropping Vue xStream all together (though I will admit that spectral atmosphere's and their new landscaping tools still impress)!

So it is really great to here that Forester 2 is in the works....but it would be even better after two years if you could give some forecast on which year or quarter that you are targeting to release it.  I am sure it will be worth the wait, but how much longer do we need to wat?

Dave

Is started to develop plugins in C++ in May 2013. Four years now, and counting. These plugins are for character animation. They work, they function well. I made these plug-ins, because I needed them, myself. I am a programmer, C4D is my main tool in my endeavors as a multimedia enthusiast. Non-profit project. I want to market these plugins! Eventually! But the distance from having reasonable well functioning software (plugins) for in-house use, to something you can charge money for, is large. A long road to walk.

Things get complicated in the software business. Complexity grows. And eats up resources. "Real soon now" was a common joke about releases of software, when I started in the computer business in 1997, 20 years ago. Until Borland, (I used their development tool Delphi) cut through, and came up with the only reliable and realistic roadmap: "It will be released, when it is ready".

I find the OP's post here very appropriate. I have made myself the same thoughts. I own both x-particles, and Forester. So I am eagerly hungry for news, and waiting for upgrades, myself.

-Ingvar

I was one of the people at NAB who got to see a sneak peak of some stuff in XP4 and I can tell you that I will be purchasing it as soon as it is available - and I was assured that what they showed me was only a part of what they've got coming! As we all know, Insydium always packs their updates full of great stuff and XP4 is not an exception to that practice. Seriously, if there were a pre-order form available for XP4, they would already have my money.