3D-Pangel

Cinema 4D R19 discussion!

118 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, 3DKiwi said:

Re Modo. NLA - no. X-Particles - no but it does have a particle system that's similar to Thinking Particles but easier to set up and use. TFD - what's that?

If animation is what you're into then Modo isn't what you're looking for although basic animation is just as good as anything else. It's great for modelling and UVing.

TFD stands for Turbulence FD (voxel based simulation).

9 minutes ago, virtualzapp said:

TFD stands for Turbulence FD (voxel based simulation).

Not available for Modo.

1 hour ago, 3DKiwi said:

Re R19. If GPU rendering is what you've been waiting for then you'll love R19. If it's not and you were waiting for more modelling or UV tool enhancements then you're going to be disappointed. Expect AMD Prorender, some modest MoGraph enhancements, updated importers / exporters, very minor UV tool enhancements, handful of other minor enhancements. There will be some under the hood stuff but nothing to get excited about.

Yes, I was looking into GPU and also animation because I do mostly news channel  car crash / murder animations, and we need to render them in HD on a daily basis in two hours average -from start to finish. But I always wanted to do some modeling, and I keep coming back to Zbrush on my spare time.

Basically from what Im seeing, R19 is exactly what I want.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, luchifer said:

Side question, does Modo has Non Linear Animation or an equivalent to X-particles or TFD? I love most C4D tools but, doesnt hurt to try new software while I wait for Siggraph.

Just to add to what 3DKiwi said, it was the NLA that I had been waiting for in MODO which is why I had to either go Maya route or C4D. C4D Motion system works quite well, and for its other animation benefits it makes C4D the best second contender to Maya for character work, only you can own your software.  Between C4D, MODO, and Zbrush you have a very powerfull pipeline, they all play well, and the ACS Kit for MODO plays much better with mocap than C4D character tool does, but this can all be transferred from MODO to C4D via FBX, then into C4D NLA.

Dan

1 person likes this

I initially wasn't that excited to hear about a GPU rendering solution likely to be the big feature in R19. On my home computer, I already have Octane, and will likely go for redshift when it's released. So the need for another option didn't seem appealing. Until I realized what this actually might mean for me as a freelancer, who generally has to work in studio, on someone THEIR computers. 

Often I'm put on a computer with no plugins or external renderers, forcing me to use base resources like physical renderer. With the new GPU option, I realized, this could totally change everything for me when I go in-house. The speed increase will be a life saver. So I'm definitely excited by that, but I see where most people who freelance from home might not see a huge benefit if they already have other options available to them. More than anything though I would like to see UV workflow overhauled so I can put 3d coat aside, eliminating at least one more software I need to keep up with. 

2 people like this

I'd love an update to the Boole operation. Something inline with Fusion 360 or Modo's mesh fusion, with ability to bevel.

Faster viewport and able to handle way larger scenes.

UV update would be good but lots of other apps do this well so not that important to me anyway.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, flippyfloop said:

I'd love an update to the Boole operation. Something inline with Fusion 360 or Modo's mesh fusion, with ability to bevel.

If you can model properly, you don't usually need or want to use Booles, but even I must accept that something like Max's ProBoolean would be a damn sight more useful than what we have now.

But I'll eat my hat, and the box the software came in if that's in R19 !! :)

CBR

1 person likes this

We've been asking for an update to the UV tools for years now. I highly doubt we're going to see this happen in R19. It seems their priorities are elsewhere unfortunately. I really wish they'd add some useful features and not just follow what the market is doing. AMD ProRender will be nice, but there are so many other renderers out there that work just fine. I feel like this is going to further complicate things. Reflectance is already a mess.

Yes, there are so many renders out there, but also UV solutions as well.. and while sometimes we need to UV an object, we almost always have to light, shade and render said object.

I havent used AMD Pro Render, but Redshift / Octane / Arnold / Cycles they all provide camera lenses/bokeh/gobo, light settings (volumetrics), material setting (even nodal material workflow), object tesselation, final render and integration with plugins like X-particles and TFD, so I really have to ask again, to all the people that say R19 will "only" bring a new render engine and minor enhancements... sure, this may not what you want, but does it really look like a minor upgrade to you guys?

edit : forgot to add: they also have instances (Arnold ASS) so you dont have to deal with billions of polygons, and they also provide a VDB solution.

2 minutes ago, luchifer said:

Yes, there are so many renders out there, but also UV solutions as well.. and while sometimes we need to UV an object, we almost always have to light, shade and render said object.

I havent used AMD Pro Render, but Redshift / Octane / Arnold / Cycles they all provide camera lenses/bokeh/gobo, light settings (volumetrics), material setting (even nodal material workflow), object tesselation, final render and integration with plugins like X-particles and TFD, so I really have to ask again, to all the people that say R19 will "only" bring a new render engine and minor enhancements... sure, this may not what you want, but does it really look like a minor upgrade to you guys?

Having a new render engine integrated into the core of C4D is a massive addition, and will be sure to take up a lot of resources for quite a few releases yet, and as long as other areas haven't been pushed back on their priorities I cant see it being a issue.  Looking back in the earlier years MAXON did bring out some huge releases.  I think we can only speculate for r19, and hope that R19, will not be what some including me fear,  One big feature Pro renderer, and a few little things here n there that that does not target some things that should be prioritised before a new render engine.  Your right at the end of the day the final result has to be rendered out, but you got to produce the content first, and part of that production before we render is a proper Uv tools set, better modelling tools with global symmetry, and anything related to content creation.  Another to mention is the price difference between the lower to higher end range of C4D, Studio owners need to see the benefit. 

Iv purchased my MSA a week ago for my Studio licence, I have faith in MAXON that they will pull a decent upgrade, and to be honest there is little else out there other than Maya that can compete.

Dan