Cinema 4D Plugin
Cinema 4D Plugin
3D-Pangel

Cinema 4D R19 discussion!

314 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Xpresso as we know it will likely be replaced by a complete node system or Xpresso 2 for everything including materials. 

I hope the material nodes will work in conjunction with xpresso nodes. that kind of functionality is already implemented in redshift for cinema 4d. it works with xpresso nodes as well as with its own material nodes.
It makes the shading process much flexible and powerful.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

I actually think when the new core and super fast object handling comes, then there will be some crazy stuff / massive changes. Xpresso as we know it will likely be replaced by a complete node system or Xpresso 2 for everything including materials.  I'm looking forward to it. I may even do one of my epic reviews. 

Would that review be written using the demo or would you be seriously considering purchasing an R20 license? 

Just wondering if there is a possible future where you come back as a current (and up to date) user.

Here's hoping for that day because should it happen then MAXON must have released an amazing version.

Until then, we will keep the light on for you!

Dave

2 people like this

3 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Would that review be written using the demo or would you be seriously considering purchasing an R20 license? 

Just wondering if there is a possible future where you come back as a current (and up to date) user.

Here's hoping for that day because should it happen then MAXON must have released an amazing version.

Until then, we will keep the light on for you!

Dave

While I support this hope of one day having 3DKiwi back at the Cafe the way he used to be, I don't think we'll ever see that day.
No offense meant, and in no way am I judging.
But I guess he's more happy using MODO than he ever was/will be using Cinema 4D ... of course, I am only assuming here. To each his own, and while we would like to prefer otherwise, we have to accept the decision made.

As for a written review (or any other format), I would really be looking forward to that. Be it using a demo, NFR, beta ... or what not.

Now, back to your regular R19 discussions.

1 hour ago, C4DS said:

While I support this hope of one day having 3DKiwi back at the Cafe the way he used to be, I don't think we'll ever see that day.
No offense meant, and in no way am I judging.
But I guess he's more happy using MODO than he ever was/will be using Cinema 4D ... of course, I am only assuming here. To each his own, and while we would like to prefer otherwise, we have to accept the decision made.

As for a written review (or any other format), I would really be looking forward to that. Be it using a demo, NFR, beta ... or what not.

Now, back to your regular R19 discussions.

actually Nigel did say that "IF" C4D came out with a strong tools/update he finds useful for his modeling then he would consider coming back .

41 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

actually Nigel did say that "IF" C4D came out with a strong tools/update he finds useful for his modeling then he would consider coming back .

Correct. Any potential review of the super duper R20 would be done with the demo version. I think if I ever do get back into C4D it would be the base version. Studio is way over priced and the base version has most of the stuff I use. Actually Blender is worth keeping an eye on as it's getting to be a strong 3D app. Somewhere I've seen a replacement and more conventional gui for it.

Off topic. The developers of Modo are doing a good job. Stability isn't an issue. I've been running the latest 11.1 for a couple of weeks and it hasn't crashed once. Like C4D users there's plenty of people complaining. I'm reasonably happy with what they are doing. The upgrade pricing system has changed that some don't like as it's moved to a MAXON like MSA system although it's a bit more flexible allowing you to skip years but then have to pay a higher annual maintenence fee. I plan to pay the annual $399 US.

3 people like this

21 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

I actually think when the new core and super fast object handling comes, then there will be some crazy stuff / massive changes. Xpresso as we know it will likely be replaced by a complete node system or Xpresso 2 for everything including materials.  I'm looking forward to it. I may even do one of my epic reviews. 

17 hours ago, merkvilson said:

I hope the material nodes will work in conjunction with xpresso nodes. that kind of functionality is already implemented in redshift for cinema 4d. it works with xpresso nodes as well as with its own material nodes.
It makes the shading process much flexible and powerful.

Agree if they ever overhaul Xpresso and add nodal materials that they should be tightly integrated. It should feel like one unified component of the GUI. This happens to be an area where MAXON excels traditionally so if it happens I don't have much doubt it will feel seamless.

10 hours ago, Zmotive said:

Agree if they ever overhaul Xpresso and add nodal materials that they should be tightly integrated. 

If it ever happens I sincerely hope they will rethink the legibility of Xpresso and think about adding more visual clues into the nodes which describe their function at a glance. I find it one of the worst nodal systems for following the flow of the programming. Getting someone else's Xpresso rig I've always found a huge task to 'read' what's going on and debugging is a nightmare.

I'm well used to nodal system having used Quartz composer, Vuo, shake, nuke, Houdini and Touch Designer etc but there has always been something about Xpresso that simply has not gelled. I'm sure the nodes could be given badges to denote function at the very least to identify objects or tags or whatever. I'm surprised it never happened.

I hope they take the opportunity to rip up Xpresso and start again with a fresh canvass concentrating on performance, readability and ease of debugging.

4 people like this

On 7/15/2017 at 2:32 AM, Zmotive said:

Not sure I'd assume they would release R20 SDK to any tester this early. Or that it would even be finished right now necessarily. The assumptions go both ways but this one smells like BS to me. 

I was asked nicely here by admins not to post anything publicly if I already know something, and I won't, however, I do want to point out following. It was not my intention to get anyone in trouble, and the sdk info was not given to me, I simply saw something by accident during video call. cat was out of the bag up and I got tiny bit of info, and was asked to keep it for myself. Obviously a bad move from my part since I spilled it here, but this kind of topics get me excited even at this age :-)

I don't know if all developers have access to it (sdk), but you can take my word to the bank that it is there. Let's wait for confirmation now or at least after R 20 is out then someone will have to confirm that it was there for long time. What Nigel is mentioning is right, there seem to be so much changes that big plugin vendors must have got a lot of time to adapt their stuff to new core

Matt

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Cutman said:

Getting someone else's Xpresso rig I've always found a huge task to 'read' what's going on and debugging is a nightmare.

Getting back into one of my OWN Xpresso rig after being away from a project for a while is often a huge task too.

10 minutes ago, blutz said:

I won't give any information about R20 here, so please don't start asking. We will announce news, when it is time to announce them.

So essentially, big changes to the SDK may not always immediately indicate big changes in functionality to the user (the single to double precision change in R12 is a perfect example.) but are introduced as they create a more powerful foundation to future plugin development. Yes...makes perfect sense and while we should always temper rumor with facts, please understand that the years of anticipation MAXON has cultivated over the new core can create an over-whelming desire for unbridled speculation. Please don't fault us for that or MBryne for not containing his excitement better.

Also happy to know that MAXON developers are watching this thread!

Dave

3 people like this

I just wanted to add for people who keep saying new core doesn't coming, if you lok at the current sdk you will see a lot of function accept a thread as argument for being executed into another thread.

Even if multi threaded doesn't mean multi processor, it's show us, MAXON try to parallelize their core, and it's a huge step for making it working into multiple processor ;)

2 people like this