3D-Pangel

Cinema 4D R19 discussion!

3DKiwi    319
3 hours ago, Zmotive said:

Anybody's guess but given timelines R19 is the first release where people could reasonably expect it. There was no chance it was showing up in R17 and little chance it was showing up in R18. 

You're assuming MAXON only started the core rewrite after R16 or thereabouts. In fact I think they've been working on the new core for the last 5-8 years.

My prediction: R19 will be a huge disappointment and people will have to wait yet another year for performance enhancements / UV tool enhancements. I also predict that Studio owners paying the annual US $650 for the MSA might be asking why they are paying so much more when the Prime version includes 90% of the new R19 stuff but at only US $250 for the MSA.

Look out for MAXON making a big deal of the inclusion of the AMD Prorenderer in R19 that's already been announced. This will be the major enhancement for R19. Then of course there will be the usual swag of minor enhancements.

BTW I haven't upgraded to Modo 11.0. Nothing much in that for me. I'll wait until 11.1 and see what that brings.

• Like 1

Visionnext    71

With all the external render engines around, I'm not a big fan of bringing in another render engine to Cinema 4D. I'd love to see a more open interface to easier integrate 3rd party engines. I'd also love to see a node based material system and  the promised enhancements in BodyPaint.

I also like to see some improvements in clothilde (just look at Marvelous Designer) and hair. Hair in Blender has a nice feature, that allows to arrange hair around a guide in an ellipsoid fashion and not only in a circle fashion.

3D-Pangel    190
  • Topic Author
  • 16 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

You're assuming MAXON only started the core rewrite after R16 or thereabouts. In fact I think they've been working on the new core for the last 5-8 years.

My prediction: R19 will be a huge disappointment and people will have to wait yet another year for performance enhancements / UV tool enhancements. I also predict that Studio owners paying the annual US $650 for the MSA might be asking why they are paying so much more when the Prime version includes 90% of the new R19 stuff but at only US $250 for the MSA.

Look out for MAXON making a big deal of the inclusion of the AMD Prorenderer in R19 that's already been announced. This will be the major enhancement for R19. Then of course there will be the usual swag of minor enhancements.

BTW I haven't upgraded to Modo 11.0. Nothing much in that for me. I'll wait until 11.1 and see what that brings.

All of this would be moot if MAXON followed the same policy of Luxology....all upgrades are the same cost regardless of the previous version.    Honestly, if what you are saying is true, then being a Studio owner is essentially paying a premium for nothing special.  I know others have brought that up with past releases so it is disappointing to think that R19 will be treating us like that again.  Maybe when the new core is finally revealed, there will be such awesome "Studio-only" tools that the cost of all the previous upgrades makes it all worthwhile. But again, to continue with the home remodeling analogy, as a Studio owner I feel like I am constantly writing checks to the contractor with no idea what the finished home is going to look like nor when it will be ready.

Look if R19 is even more lackluster than R17, then what will it take for MAXON to finally give us some detailed information about their plans?  The total s**t storm over R17 got some response from MAXON, but who wants to go through that again?  Hopefully, neither does MAXON and they are a bit more preemptive by communicating pretty quickly after R19 is released about what is coming.  That is the only thing that will calm the masses because a lot people were on the fence after R17.  R18 brought them back in, but a weak R19 release could be the final straw for many particularly if they have no idea of what is planned.  

Dave

• Like 2

Zmotive    57
    18 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

My only assumption was they announced it at a time when they needed to in order to keep people interested, but still way too early to make any specific promises, which they carefully avoided.

If Pro Render is the only substantial innovation for R19 I will skip another upgrade cycle like I did in R17. I know you're a bit of a cynic these days (and rightly so somewhat) but hopefully the days of fluff upgrades are done, even if the "massive overhaul" type features are still not ready yet. Those two things are on opposite ends of a continuum with the types of changes we saw last year somewhere north of meh but not jump out of your seat awesome.

arail    22

I think a comparison w/ Rhino is appropriate here, even though it's been made before. Every licensed Rhino user is eligible and encouraged to download the beta and use it and comment about it in the forums. Most companies sweat it out until the release date, hoping they have built in enough new features that users will want to upgrade and not express a firestorm of disappointment. Mcneel goes in the opposite direction - we all know what's in the next release because we use it every day. The company is betting (correctly I think) that when the new version is released and the beta is locked most users will choose not to downgrade to the last version. 

No secrets, no surprises and no penalties. If you've used the V6 WIP and the new features aren't important to you, revert to V5. No problem. But I think most users will pony up the upgrade fee to keep using the new program they've gotten used to.

Not sure why more companies don't do this.

luchifer    34

Exactly what Redshift is doing.. with all the time Im in the beta/alpha stage, I already translated most of my everyday tools into redshift assets, so when it goes gold, they have my money.

Igor    467

Not sure did you guys saw this 

• Like 1

3D-Pangel    190
  • Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, SIgor said:

Not sure did you guys saw this 

Yes...it is nice.  Any chance of getting some specs on the scene file (total polygons, total objects, number of lights) ?  The Radeon Pro Duo specs are pretty beefy.  Anyone have any Cinebench data on that card?

Dave

bobc4d    90

how about specs on machine? doubtful it is a 4 core ;-)

Rectro    536

Iv not seen any speed improvements from r16 to r18, but Im not a long time users yet to have been able to dig too deep while on r16,r17.

I really like to see me favouring C4D over some of the features im forced to use in Modo.  I need to see proper symmetry, and re symmetry in C4D, and its character tool Adv Biped work with mocap data retaining its IK rig.  Pose morph Auto joint driven again  like Maya ,Modo has should be implemented.  Slice tool to work flawless, bridge with multiple selections, auto polygon fill open gaps, soft selection radius changes after deformation does not update deformations as id expect.  Simple snap from one object onto another, better options for axis modeling, macro recording, OpenSubdiv fully working, more accurate weight painting for symmetry, should not have to keep optimizing a mesh to get rid of verts left behind, these things just make life easier.

I so hope r19 is not based on a half implemented AMD render engine, I just dont need it after paying out for Vray.

I do have high hopes for r19 as Im a studio user and its alot of money for me to shed out which I havent got my new MSA yet.  MODO Iv not upgraded since 9.2, and now they have their new upgrade policy in place im holding off as long as I can from entering it into and non get out  perpetual maintenance without the cost rising £200 more as a penalty.  MSA still looks the best offer for me at the moment but if r19 fails me, I will change my thinking on future upgrades.