3D-Pangel

Cinema 4D R19 discussion!

1 hour ago, merkvilson said:

Uh oh... sounds like the hedging has begun. :lol:

I particularly enjoyed these bits:

...efforts to transition to tomorrow’s technology - using OpenGL technology

Spin much? If anything says "yesterday's technology", it's OpenGL. Not that you can't make useful software with it, just saying.

It’s also important to note that upgrades are about more than just new and improved features. Even if the latest release does not have the exact feature you were waiting for, every release of Cinema 4D is optimized to take advantage of the latest macOS and Windows releases. Every version includes “under the hood” work - the development team are always cleaning up code and looking for ways to optimize performance.

Loosely translated: Pro Render and GL BodyPaint are it plus the audio effector thing being talked about the last few days probably. Picking up that R17 vibe now (all due respect to Takes and soon ProRender). To the last highlighted point, I haven't seen anything in any recent version that suggests C4D was performance-tuned for OS X / macOS. A good bit of that is Apple's fault for jumping APIs and providing crappy GL drivers and the like, but either way — not optimized. At least nothing I've experienced directly with the app or read about others' experiences suggests it. Not sure about the PC side but I don't get that sense either since they're all aboard the object management bandwagon.

And BTW, we’ve already got some great tools planned that will supplement some of the great features in the next release of Cinema 4D.

I've heard this somewhere before... oh yeah it was right after the release of R18. lol

Don't get me wrong; my hopes weren't up very much but this sorta stuff kills me. Not a fan of spin. People already were tempering their expectations somewhat, no need to jump in and convince us to upgrade with compelling reasons that aren't all that compelling. I like Cineversity and maybe the labs offer a few more widgets or whatever but come on dudes. Let's keep it real / not go down the path of talking to us like we don't know what's happening.

ALL THAT SAID... it's still not announced yet and more could be shown that carries the day. And if it does (for me) I'll happily fork over my MSA. Keeping an open mind but definitely not holding my breath at this point.

• Like 1
  • Namaste 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, merkvilson said:

Interesting that they felt the need to make a blog post about this. Perhaps they are starting to see many MSAs not being renewed this year? Or maybe getting a lot of questions about what happens if they don't renew for this release. Word has probably gotten around that you're better off waiting until R20. 

Not gonna lie though - A half finished prorender, and openGL bodypaint, or even a new sound effector are not selling points for me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zmotive said:

I heard the Amazon Washington Post met with Crooked Hillary in order to snuff out a story about MAXON being sold to Autodesk and adopting a subscription model. The beleaguered AG is not investigating. SAD!

I found this post to be offensive and in bad taste.  there was a time NO POLITICAL POST in these forums . . . .

I don't have a dirty mind because I use Mental Floss.

When mentionned "Our success as a company is directly tied to your success as an artist, so we’re always working to provide the tools you need to succeed"

and back to my previous posts, it is a matter of priorities. Seriously who asked for sound effector revisited instead of UVs stuff and so on...

Let's see, but to be honest I'm starting to have a bitter taste...

Hopefully MAXON will prove me wrong ;-)

Cheers

Regis

Yeah interesting blog post. My take on it was that MAXON are softening you / us up for R19 that doesn't include the big enhancements that many are waiting for i.e. faster object handling, updated UV tools, material nodes etc. I think for some Prorender will make R19 a great upgrade and for others that don't need GPU rendering it will be a really weak upgrade and on par with the lack lustre R17 upgrade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobc4d said:

I found this post to be offensive and in bad taste.  there was a time NO POLITICAL POST in these forums . . . .

Would it have been less offensive if I had tweeted it and and used more exclamation points? :wackywink:

Sorry Bob. I didn't think any of his rough and tumble supporters could be offended by a toungue-in-cheek web posting about software.

Wasn't my intention. Just having a bit of fun.

No more political immitations from me. Scout's honor!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bobc4d said:
1 hour ago, Zmotive said:

Would it have been less offensive if I had tweeted it and and used more exclamation points? :wackywink:

Sorry Bob. I didn't think any of his rough and tumble supporters could be offended by a toungue-in-cheek web posting about software.

Wasn't my intention. Just having a bit of fun.

No more political immitations from me. Scout's honor!

I thought it was funny....

Just got around to reading the blog post. They should have titled it - No UV Tools, Maybe Next Year. I think it's what they were trying to say.

• Like 2

If it really is an underwhelming release they would probably lose a lot less people if they had a half off MSA or something like that or maybe a deal where you can pay for a 2 year MSA now for 1.5x the price instead of the full 2x the price.

9 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Yeah interesting blog post. My take on it was that MAXON are softening you / us up for R19 that doesn't include the big enhancements that many are waiting for i.e. faster object handling, updated UV tools, material nodes etc. I think for some Prorender will make R19 a great upgrade and for others that don't need GPU rendering it will be a really weak upgrade and on par with the lack lustre R17 upgrade.

I think they're softening us up for the crushing disappointment of there not being a Falloff object in the MoGraph menu!

The Press Release read to me like, the update is going to suck but at least you get Cineversity! Newsflash, other developers refresh code during an update cycle but they also still manage to put together a decent update too. Updating the core architecture in the background is not a 'feature' until it means there's a tangible improvement to the user.

Not looking promising.

oh dear, it doesn't look good does it. Almost certainly designed to manage expectations.

At least with expectations being so low that all that can happen is us being pleasantly surprised if they manage to exceed the expectations. I may even choose to be blindly optimistic and believe the blog post to be a red herring.

I have been interested in GPU rendering for the last few months so having Pro-Render may be a good first steps into it. If it isn't that good then Octane does seem very affordable as a subscription.

If I do renew my MSA then R20 may be a make or break with my future with upgrades. If not then R18 is still very capable for what I do and its not like I rely on the software to make a living. I have a much more boring job for that where I get to use awesome software like Excel.....I've never been caught up in hype for Excel updates!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simplicity - Clarity of Expression