3D-Pangel

Cinema 4D R19 discussion!

5 hours ago, mrittman said:

They also said these viewport updates for BodyPaint 3D were coming within the R18 lifecycle. Now R19 is just around the corner. Does that mean R18 won't get these updates now?

Come on...not this again ;)

Read the blog post carefully they said:" we won’t be delivering this as part of Release 18" = no Viewport updates in R18

" but you can look forward to getting it in your hands within the R18 product cycle " = Bodypaint Open Beta (Released within the R18 product cycle)

Sorry..but everything else is wishfull thinking ;)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nightlight said:

Come on...not this again ;)

Read the blog post carefully they said:" we won’t be delivering this as part of Release 18" = no Viewport updates in R18

" but you can look forward to getting it in your hands within the R18 product cycle " = Bodypaint Open Beta (Released within the R18 product cycle)

Sorry..but everything else is wishfull thinking ;)

My bad :P I just read it as, they wouldn't be releasing it right away with R18, but thought maybe it would have been released halfway through. Guess not :/

4 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

R19 should be announced by MAXON sometime in the next 24 hours after Siggraph has started and around midday German time on Monday 31 July when the marketing dept is at work and can make the R19 pages visible on their web site. As usual there will be a launch by MAXON USA at Siggraph. 

Re Bodypaint. We're still in the R18 cycle until September when R19 ships so there's still time yet for it to be included. Bit of a yawn if you ask me.

The main new feature in R19 is AmdProrender. People expecting UV tool enhancements / faster object handling are going to have to wait until R20.

My take is to look at the lineup of speakers at c4dlive.com. There have been instances previously where the subject was TBD right up to the show so they can insert a topic regarding the new version, but this year there are none. There are a number of speakers discussing VR (not talking about me, lol) but you can do that with R18 unless there are some new tools for it.

However, this is the first time I recall Rick Barrett ending the show with "Coming Soon to Cinema 4D and Cineversity". 

I think this indicates that there will be no announcement of R19 at the show.

MAXON was uploading the R19 videos to Vimeo a week ago. Recall, by mistake the Sound Effector video was public briefly. This means the announcement is imminent. This ties in what what they've done in the past and I can't think why they would change.

It could be MAXON's Tuesday around midday rather than Monday 31 July. This gives them a day an bit back at work after the weekend to finish preparing their site. Whenever it is, it's very close.

Yup, the main feature of R19 will be a free render engine. Recall that Cycles for Blender is also free but you have to pay for the bridge to C4D. You're paying for MAXON's time to integrate it. Some will love it but for others they will still need to use the existing render engines as ProRender won't support C4D's material system 100%. Some of the shaders and special f/x won't be supported. Plus a list of other stuff as well.

• Namaste 1

With R19 having prorender I'd like to mention I started a thread about the impressive new cards they have coming out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vrauckis said:

My take is to look at the lineup of speakers at c4dlive.com. There have been instances previously where the subject was TBD right up to the show so they can insert a topic regarding the new version, but this year there are none. There are a number of speakers discussing VR (not talking about me, lol) but you can do that with R18 unless there are some new tools for it.

However, this is the first time I recall Rick Barrett ending the show with "Coming Soon to Cinema 4D and Cineversity". 

I think this indicates that there will be no announcement of R19 at the show.

To my recollection the Siggraph presentations have never included demos of the newly announced version's features so TBD was likely due to the content of the presentation not actually been confirmed at the time of publishing the schedule.

I have always found it absurd that MAXON announces the latest C$D version then all the presentations are based on the current version. I would've expected Siggraph be the stage to do in house demos of the latest version but it never has been.

5 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Yup, the main feature of R19 will be a free render engine. Recall that Cycles for Blender is also free but you have to pay for the bridge to C4D. You're paying for MAXON's time to integrate it. Some will love it but for others they will still need to use the existing render engines as ProRender won't support C4D's material system 100%. Some of the shaders and special f/x won't be supported. Plus a list of other stuff as well.

The real issues with ProRender are the speed and they've already confirmed it'll be undercooked not that it is 'free'. The quality of the renderings are not in doubt as the MAXON artist's work look very nice indeed but how long were the renders? 

3 hours ago, Fastbee said:

With R19 having prorender I'd like to mention I started a thread about the impressive new cards they have coming out.

AMD have not committed themselves to competing at the very high end of the GPU market until the next series of cards after Vega. Since the Titan and Ti level GPUs have a tiny market AMD are focussing on the Budget and Enthusiast markets where most of the buyers are. Early benchmarks show Vega's gaming performance is around that of the nVidia 1070 and OpenCL performance between the 1080 and 1080Ti.

OpenGL performance is really not much of an issue for C$D because the object handling is so poor no one ever hits GPU limitations in their scenes it's always the object handling bottleneck that grinds everything to a crawl so it'll be interesting to see what the Vega 3d rendering performance is like and with 16GB of RAM that's a healthy amount for 3D rendering. Having said that who in their right mind is going to buy these cards just for ProRender when the vast majority of GPU renderers are CUDA based? I'm not sure the combination of ProRender and Vega is a strong enough draw unless they're cheap and extremely power efficient.

1 hour ago, Cutman said:

To my recollection the Siggraph presentations have never included demos of the newly announced version's features so TBD was likely due to the content of the presentation not actually been confirmed at the time of publishing the schedule.

I have always found it absurd that MAXON announces the latest C4D version then all the presentations are based on the current version. I would've expected Siggraph be the stage to do in house demos of the latest version but it never has been.

The real issues with ProRender are the speed and they've already confirmed it'll be undercooked not that it is 'free'. The quality of the renderings are not in doubt as the MAXON artist's work look very nice indeed but how long were the renders? 

Actually, Casey Hupke, Derya Ozturk, Athanasios Pozantzis and Chad Ashley all had presentations that included new features of R18. All you need to do is to go to Cineversity to see them.

I could be wrong on the announcement of R19 because EJ Hassenfraz has tweeted 3 hours ago " Is everybody ready for #C4D R19?".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vrauckis said:

Actually, Casey Hupke, Derya Ozturk, Athanasios Pozantzis and Chad Ashley all had presentations that included new features of R18. All you need to do is to go to Cineversity to see them.

I stand corrected. You are indeed correct and they've been demoing the latest version during siggraph for years too so I don't know why I thought they didn't, bizarre. :confused:

Guest GregD

Having never been through a version change before (I have come in on R18), can I ask whether you'd install R19 from the moment you get your download link, or wait until everyone else has found the bugs and then install (like a Windows OS upgrade)?

Or can you have both R18 and R19 installed on the same system?

Thanks