3D-Pangel

Cinema 4D R19 discussion!

118 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, SIgor said:

Not sure did you guys saw this 

+ 1 more "nice"

Should be an interesting summer all-told. Hopefully we're all doing the R19 MSA happy dance when the time comes.

1 person likes this

I really don't see the point to develop and integrate new render engine. This two year give us Redshift, Corona, Arnold, Cycle, Thea. And we already get Octane, Vray. And they are used a lot in production. Maybe youtube kiddies who do minecraft no care. But they also no care about buying render engine. So about market place of this new engine I have some huge doubt it's worth the time it's ask.

And since 90%(It's random number I don't have any proof. But I never met someone who use ar in production) of us already use 3rd party engine, I really doubt we will switch and change all our workflow for his. Moreover when you come for ma node base element why you would go backward to this old system?

About video, for me it's nothing... It's just a car with a shader, nothing fenzy. And we don't know the spec of hte machine but it's for sure a monster.

About UV editor I don't want to kill dream of everyone but I just want to let you know they have introduce in R18 in python the UV command who are aviable since R14 in C++. So if they rewritte everything about UV I don't see the point to take time to port C++ function to python function when you will change everything in one year. So it's why for me UV tool will AGAIN not evolve.

About bodypaint, yeah it's true, but really who use it nowaday and even the sneek peak just shouw us, how bad it will be. Just look at mari/Substance Painter/Quixel simplicity vs quality. So yeah it's build in c4d, but personally I prefer loose 10sec for export and 10sec for import and have huge more control/quality in another software !

And About core improvment, keep in mind multi-threading doesn't mean multi-cpu ! :/

1 person likes this

I will say that I totally agree with graphos on the UV and Render subject.

11 hours ago, bobc4d said:

how about specs on machine? doubtful it is a 4 core ;-)

it's i7, no fancy machine not sure if it is 6 core but CPU doesn't really matter here that much. As far as I know, GPU that is used is similar to nVidia980ti, or in that range. Scene is 750K polys.

1 person likes this

Like @graphos and @Rectro said, I doubt that we need another rendering engine. Being open to the existing ones and a more supportive interface/SDK would be enough. R19 should really concentrate on enhancing kernel features (e.g. Bodypaint) or simply give them up.

By the way: It would be nice if Cinema 4D would be more stable against reordering of vertices. Changing meshes shouldn't have influence on existing morphs.

Yeah, let's stop developing the internal Renderer! Because the Renderer is so unimportant in a 3D App that clearly aims for the 3D Generalist.

And hey, it will never achive the power of a thrid party renderer that is developed by a 10 men team fulltime over years. So Drop it!

And if my 3rd Party renderer dies (which of course never happens) then I will start ranting about MAXON about how they ignore their users for YEAARRRSSS!

This place is getting ridiculous.

A GPU/CPU renderer that runs on multipe techs is exactly what this software needs. It is basically the most important thing in a Generalist 3D software. Maybe MAXON is damn right not to listen to some of its customers

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, zeden said:

Yeah, let's stop developing the internal Renderer! Because the Renderer is so unimportant in a 3D App that clearly aims for the 3D Generalist.

And hey, it will never achive the power of a thrid party renderer that is developed by a 10 men team fulltime over years. So Drop it!

And if my 3rd Party renderer dies (which of course never happens) then I will start ranting about MAXON about how they ignore their users for YEAARRRSSS!

This place is getting ridiculous.

A GPU/CPU renderer that runs on multipe techs is exactly what this software needs. It is basically the most important thing in a Generalist 3D software. Maybe MAXON is damn right not to listen to some of its customers

Well, you may need it and others don't. People have different priorities and I'm quite happy with Vray. A new render engine doesn't bring me any benefit, but improvements in material management (e.g. node based) and bodypaint do. Maybe MAXON should ask the customer, what they really want and not speculate, what they think they might want.

I may be wrong, but at least a new render engine doesn't cover my needs.

By the way, the 3rd party engines run on multiple platforms as well. In future, we may even be able to swap the materials between different applications.

Although I understand what Graphos is saying I happen to agree with zeden's point (yes there is a point under the sarcasm).

I am a hobbiest with aspirations but my problem with 3rd party renderers (and plugins in general) is that I have Mortgage and bills to pay so I can only really justify my MSA and CC subscription and not give lots of money on very expensive render engines or plugins. So if MAXON stopped developing in house solutions then I would be a very un-happy chappy. I really want to try GPU based rendering and the fact it will come built in excites me....nothing wrong with more options. MAXON can not please everyone all of the time and maybe their better choice would be looking at what the studios need/want as a priority as they are more likely to give them cash.

I am excited to see what R19 brings but keep my expectations low. Usually I read the headline features and feel deflated as I either think its not a big deal or don't really understand the feature. Its not until I try them or watch tutorials explaining them that I think its actually better than I initially thought.

1 person likes this

Nobody said render engines aren't important, but MAXON won't own Pro Render. On AMD site it says it'll be Open Source in the future. I don't know if that's the case or not, but open source for open source, I would prefer a bridge to Cycles. At least is a lot more capable and it's development is super fast.

And no, no Cycles4D. It's free on Blender, it should be free on other software. My view on the subject though.

1 hour ago, Simmy said:

Although I understand what Graphos is saying I happen to agree with zeden's point (yes there is a point under the sarcasm).

I am a hobbiest with aspirations but my problem with 3rd party renderers (and plugins in general) is that I have Mortgage and bills to pay so I can only really justify my MSA and CC subscription and not give lots of money on very expensive render engines or plugins. So if MAXON stopped developing in house solutions then I would be a very un-happy chappy. I really want to try GPU based rendering and the fact it will come built in excites me....nothing wrong with more options. MAXON can not please everyone all of the time and maybe their better choice would be looking at what the studios need/want as a priority as they are more likely to give them cash.

I am excited to see what R19 brings but keep my expectations low. Usually I read the headline features and feel deflated as I either think its not a big deal or don't really understand the feature. Its not until I try them or watch tutorials explaining them that I think its actually better than I initially thought.

I get your point, but I think what was indirectly mentioned before is that there are some priorities.

For instance, for years people are almost begging to have upgraded UVs stuff and bodypaint. So yeah, new render engine is fine, why not, but was it requested by the user community as a top prority, I don't think so.

Now, don't misunderstand me, I do like things moving forward, and MAXON learnt as they are now communicating more etc..., but priorities guys... (sigh)

Cheers

Regis

Look at this video. It is one of the very few Prorender stuff that can convince besides the Glen Johnson renderings:

With that render quality out of the box on the GPU 90% of the C4D users can pay their bills without purchasing 3rd pary engines I am sure. And you can choose Cpu or Gpu. Ok, it will take them untill R20 or so to make it production ready as they say. But it is worth it.

But when I have a renderer that gives reliable Viewport Representation, painles material stacking/layering, working multipass and deep integration in genereal etc inside C4D...how on earth can I not want that? Imagine the thing in combination with realtime painting in BP...

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, zeden said:

Look at this video. It is one of the very few Prorender stuff that can convince besides the Glen Johnson renderings:

With that render quality out of the box on the GPU 90% of the C4D users can pay their bills without purchasing 3rd pary engines I am sure. And you can choose Cpu or Gpu. Ok, it will take them untill R20 or so to make it production ready as they say. But it is worth it.

But when I have a renderer that gives reliable Viewport Representation, painles material stacking/layering, working multipass and deep integration in genereal etc inside C4D...how on earth can I not want that? Imagine the thing in combination with realtime painting in BP...

Definitely looking great, I agree, but as I'm using Octane as well as Arnold render engines, this was not my priority. But I do think it's great for some other users like you, no problem at all about that ;o)

Just for argument sake, with physical render engine, MAXON did already an update of C4D render engine. Now how many major (and I mean major) updates on UVs, Bodypaint, Mograph, Thinking Particles (when it was possible, now too late with X-particles), Dynamics ( and I don't mention fluid stuff, let's forget about it), etc...

Cheers

Regis