Cinema 4D R19 discussion!

Some of the Pro Render demo videos suggest there's a ways to go before the speed is up to snuff, but it's good to see progress being made; it has some impressive aspects regardless. I guess if you're not used to working with Reflectance yet, we're all going to get used to it the next year or two. :)

Overall this release is about what I expected. Nice enhancements to Voronoi although not sure why something on that level was not released all together in R18; maybe that's a result of user requests after R18. Sound Effector is a nice improvement to that type of workflow also.

LOD Object and the Object Insertion additions should provide good workflow boosts, in the same vane as Takes (not flashy but big time savers). Those could make it worthwhile for anyone who upgrades based solely on "time is money" aspect / is always in a crunch.

For my part I'm debating MSA still. The thing holding me back is the few things I've seen and read suggest Pro Render is mostly useful for stills right now and not much else. Not that stills are unimportant to the larger user base.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CINEMA 4Ds SDK (Software Development Kit) is changing constantly. This has to be done to reflect new functionality and changes under the hood. While we try to keep the SDK as stable as possible, from

That was the original intent of the first post on this thread.  Can anyone point out where the core is in action on past releases up to and including R18.  I was hoping Fritz would be able to elaborat

I remember people complaining before R18, saying it would bring minor updates.. and we got an enhanced knife tool plus fracture and some other goodies. The "handful of random updates" I got every year

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Zmotive said:

Nice enhancements to Voronoi although not sure why something on that level was not released all together in R18.

Because you have to release sometime. So through the development cycle they had a version that was stable and working well so it would have been added to R18. Then you continue on with development for the next version. 

I am looking for a simple but utterly needed improvement for modelling :   mouse cursor  changing colour depending if current tool works in select visible only or select all modes.  It could be ultra helpful, imagine, you switch  with a key short-cut the mode from select visible only to  select all, then mouse cursor switches colour from let say white to red - then you get instant feedback, and you know that by selecting or cutting etc... all elements will be affected , not just visible ones.  Simple but handy.  

I hope that with new modelling core MAXON will ensure that there will be no more bad polygons appearing, which now appear so often when using various tools, especially bevelling. 

I am also looking forward for possibility to manipulate individually selected  components islands in their local references while modelling.  Something which is available in Softimage and extremely helpful when modelling.  In SI  you can move, scale, rotate multiple component islands in their own reference, this allows to quickly achieve results impossible to obtain in C4D :

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2012/en_us/userguide/index.html?url=files/poly_basic_SelectingPolygonMeshComponents.htm,topicNumber=d28e109327

Form Softimage I also miss selection of adjacent components:

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2012/en_us/userguide/index.html?url=files/poly_basic_SelectingPolygonMeshComponents.htm,topicNumber=d28e109327

And also a more reliable loop selection :)

50 minutes ago, czarnyrobert said:

I am looking for a simple but utterly needed improvement for modelling :   mouse cursor  changing colour depending if current tool works in select visible only or select all modes.  It could be ultra helpful, imagine, you switch  with a key short-cut the mode from select visible only to  select all, then mouse cursor switches colour from let say white to red - then you get instant feedback, and you know that by selecting or cutting etc... all elements will be affected , not just visible ones.  Simple but handy.  

I hope that with new modelling core MAXON will ensure that there will be no more bad polygons appearing, which now appear so often when using various tools, especially bevelling. 

I am also looking forward for possibility to manipulate individually selected  components islands in their local references while modelling.  Something which is available in Softimage and extremely helpful when modelling.  In SI  you can move, scale, rotate multiple component islands in their own reference, this allows to quickly achieve results impossible to obtain in C4D :

Form Softimage I also miss selection of adjacent components:

And also a more reliable loop selection :)

I started up a Club for Developers. In there is a topic for Feature Requests. Feel free to post any features or ideas that you would like to have in there. Then 3rd party developers might be able to pick out a few if they think they can implement them. Having them all in this one place will help to make sure they don't get lost in lots of different threads around c4dcafe.

1 hour ago, kbar said:

Surely that's possible now using the modelling axis settings? Just a matter of changing the axis to "selected" and enable the "Normal" option. You can now work on multiple component islands, usually polygons.

Not sure why you're getting bad geometry with the bevel tool. C4D's bevel tool works pretty well for me and geometry is clean. That said, you should regularly run the Mesh Checking utility and clean up any bad geometry.

Two excellent examples of the new viewport. Screw ProRender, I don't ever want to raytrace again...

https://twitter.com/the_glenster/st...166250083885057

https://twitter.com/the_glenster/st...169087840915456

I hope beyond hope that the viewport rendering improvements becomes an ongoing project and MAXON take this feature as seriously (if not more so) as the ProRender development. A high fidelity Hardware Renderer that comes close to traditional rendered output will be a seismic moment for the industry and allow many more clients to access 3D. I've lost count of the number of clients who aren't prepared for the rendering cost, so projects lose GI and get shorter as a result.

It'll be interesting to see just what impact GPUs have on rendering speed of the Hardware Renderer. Are there any MAXON employees here who can comment on if there is much of a performance difference between GPUs i.e would a Titan be much faster than a 1080 or AMD faster than nVidia etc? What system specs affect the speed of the Hardware Renderer the most? Thanks.

13 hours ago, Greatszalam said:

I don't know. I saw quite a bit of character animation stuff in the release videos from Cineversity and some others on YouTube. They even have a fully rigged human head added to the content browser now. It looks like they're preparing to be a lot bigger in character animation. Once object handling improves, I'll bet they'll make some moves in that area.

There are a couple of new character animation features, the pose morph looks great and improving the weighting is something long overdue. Samples in the content browser are fun and can be somewhat useful but not a reason for paying 1000s of dollars for an upgrade. As you said they might be preparing C4D for more amazing upgrades but if they don't come along until version 20-21 or more (their development is as we know super slow) I can save my money until they are ready. 

21 minutes ago, Cutman said:

Two excellent examples of the new viewport. Screw ProRender, I don't ever want to raytrace again...

https://twitter.com/the_glenster/st...166250083885057

https://twitter.com/the_glenster/st...169087840915456

I hope beyond hope that the viewport rendering improvements becomes an ongoing project and MAXON take this feature as seriously (if not more so) as the ProRender development. A high fidelity Hardware Renderer that comes close to traditional rendered output will be a seismic moment for the industry and allow many more clients to access 3D. I've lost count of the number of clients who aren't prepared for the rendering cost, so projects lose GI and get shorter as a result.

It'll be interesting to see just what impact GPUs have on rendering speed of the Hardware Renderer. Are there any MAXON employees here who can comment on if there is much of a performance difference between GPUs i.e would a Titan be much faster than a 1080 or AMD faster than nVidia etc? What system specs affect the speed of the Hardware Renderer the most? Thanks.

It looks good (but still behind Eevee!). The more I read up on ProRender and PBR in R19, the more I start to realize that both are 'works in progress'. The archaic material system is hurting both integrations, and quite messy: PBR and ProRender are not quite up to the MAXON level of GUI standards. It seems (based on CGtalk comments from MAXON employees) that MAXON is aware of these issues - if I warrant a guess here, I'd say that R20 will (MUST!) finally introduce a node-based material system. It is time.

18 minutes ago, hvanderwegen said:

It looks good (but still behind Eevee!). The more I read up on ProRender and PBR in R19, the more I start to realize that both are 'works in progress'. The archaic material system is hurting both integrations, and quite messy: PBR and ProRender are not quite up to the MAXON level of GUI standards. It seems (based on CGtalk comments from MAXON employees) that MAXON is aware of these issues - if I warrant a guess here, I'd say that R20 will (MUST!) finally introduce a node-based material system. It is time.

I couldn't agree more. The problem is MAXON have a habit of adding features that are half baked, the next release adds to them then they're forgotten about for years. I always temper my excitement with experience. To release the PBR workflow without nodal materials seems crazy and both renders effectively kludged into an archaic system.

Eevee is surely further down the road and hopefully MAXON don't give up on what they've started. I've no idea how far OpenGL rendering can be taken and to fake GI for example but I'd love to see Motion Blur and Volumetrics added ASAP. If the Hardware Renderer could do everything bar GI I think that would be a big win.

SO, @hvanderwegen what's the best hardware for Eevee? How much do the higher end GPU cards help? I'm guessing when the renders are measured in Secs it's not much point getting a Titan over a 1080? 

I think many people are already pinning their hopes on R20 being the update to end all updates and fix a myriad of longstanding issues. I predict a lot of disappointment s there's no reason why R19 couldn't have been that update too. R20 will no doubt fix one or two of the long standing issues, probably nodal materials but as far as the rest we'll be waiting many more years for Xpresso/TP replacement and unified dynamics.

I tested Eevee with an older GTX590 two weeks ago (before I got the 1080), and it worked really well on that card as well. The difference in performance of each GPU for realtime viewports will be similar to high-end 3d video games: a 1080 will be able to cope with more mesh data and shaders than a mid-level gaming GPU. For rendering output I suppose it may take a low-end card 5-10 seconds to compute a frame, while the 1080 takes 1 second. However, I haven't tested this yet - I base this on my experience with the Machstudio Pro GPU render engine some years ago. A complex lighted scene with animated characters would take a couple of seconds on my old AMD GPU. Things should be much faster now with the newer PBR viewports in both Blender and R19. I'll be testing more in the upcoming month(s). Eevee should be receiving soft shadows (for off-line rendering - too computationally intensive for real-time viewport) soon. Looking forward to that.

The thing about Pro Render that's unclear to me is, if you look at the demos on MAXON's site, it seems to suggest you can have a complex object like the fly with all sorts of material properties visible and literally preview them all while animating and without much of the iterative stuff we see in other renderers.

At the same time some of the Cineversity and other examples show a much granier "live preview" aspect (even with simpler models). One looks very clean the other looks analogous to what you see with other interactive render screens (Cycles4D, whatever the case may be) -- constant refreshing and detail-resolving passes, going from very grainy to less grainy the longer you let it sit there.

In places it seems like two different products almost. Wondering if there is a specific setting that has been turned off or material type omitted in the fly scene that causes thing to render almost in real-time where in the other examples it's not capable of doing that.

• Hrvoje unpinned this topic