Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hamish

Focal length cropped?

• Topic Author
  • Problem: I have placed a camera inside a revolving sphere, which has a Galaxy scape image texture applied to it. The camera revolves around a fixed sphere placed in the centre of the greater (atomosphere) sphere, and has been key framed to alter its focal length - all the way down to its widest factor: 1. 

At the camera's widest setting (here in this video we see it range from 5. to around 8.) the atomosphere star image distorts, giving a fisheye type effect. 

This desired effect you can see in the viewer does not translate through into the render. Im relatively new to C4D, and have only used it for a few months. I believe there must be one button to resolve this, whether it lies in the texture settings applied onto the sphere, or the render settings? 

Help is greatly appreciated.
    here is a video to explain 

Ta

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

I believe there must be one button to resolve this, whether it lies in the texture settings applied onto the sphere, or the render settings? 

No, there isn't. I think its a bug personally. There are situations where viewport is different to render by design, but this is not one of them. There is no reason for texturing to be applied differently in viewport and render. Really the only thing I can think of that might cause this is if your render image aspect ratio was vastly different to the viewport's. I don't know what sort of support you get with C4D lite, but probably worth asking MAXON about this one.

CBR 

I'm not sure if it is a bug really.. This seems like very characteristic of the real world camera..if you ever tried to use fish eye lens that had field of view over 90 degrees you would get very similar vignetting.
    However, it's a mystery  why viewport can display the image and render can not, maybe it has something to do with ray tracing calculations.. but even in your example when you look closer to the part of the viewport video you would see delicate black ring – exactly when this vignetting would happen to start.