pOem

Augmented reality

Hi

I need to create some characters for a Augmented reality and this is something I never did before. Does anyone knows a good workflow or what type of constraints do I have?

Like can I use materials full attributes? Can I uv unwrapp and create textures?

In animation, can I use Ik or bones structure? And how to export?

Sorry, there are lots of questions, but hopefully someone already created this type of things and can point me in the right path.

Thank you

It really depends on the device that is actually doing the augmentation of reality. I get that you're building stuff in C4D, but what are you delivering it to?

• Topic Author
  • Hi

It will be used in mobile devices like tablets and phones.

The AR app it's being created with unity and vuforia.

From what I've seen and researched I can use basic materials straight out of c4d. For uv unwrapped textures I can also assign them but have to link the texture manually in unity.

For animation I can bake it and use PLA to export as a FBX. 

Am I right?

All knowledge and experience you may have in this field will be very much appreciated :)

If you or anyone here knows any known limitations, problems and a good workflow, it would be great if you could share it :)

Thank you

If you are using any of C4D's shaders (noise, etc.), you will have to bake them down.

You can definitely UV unwrap and provide textures as you've found out.

You can also put out FBX files with animation. In fact, this is highly recommended for many different kinds of animation

I don't have a lot of personal experience with this, so I can't offer much more than that. ::):

• Topic Author
  • Hi

No worries, your feedback was very useful. Thank you.

In the meantime, will see if anyone will input their thoughts and share with us :)

It seems Unity and Vu is the popular framework for AR. I have been playing with the Augmented Reality plugin for c4d. I got it to work once, but that was it.

I realized the latest plugin was for R18 so I grabbed it and messed in R18 with some adequate results, but nothing too exceptional. I used a simple mess, texture and bone structure as recommended, but they failed. I see the is another ARmedia plug for c4d, but it is pretty convoluted.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone is actually using C4D to prep augmented reality objects? Is there an easier way or do I wait to see what R20 brings?

Doug

You can use ARKit or ARCore depending on your platform. My general workflow is to model and UV in C4D, texture in Substance Painter, and develop in Unity.