Sign in to follow this  
reason808

"Shape Burst" Gradients from Poly Edges?

Photoshop has a gradient feature called shape burst (see image).  Is this possible within C4D using a polygon's edge as the source of a gradient?  It would be great for making leaf and flower petal textures, window shades on building models, and I'm sure many other uses.  If Edge selections were also possible to drive this, that'd be even better.

The only way I could see doing this would be to use the edge to spline feature and then make the spline drive a proximal shader.  But that's a lot of work, and it would be hard to create a flower garden this way.  And the proximal shader's gradient features seem  pretty basic, too. 

shape-burst.jpg

Yes, that's possible, in several different ways, applicable to various types of object...

1. Fresnel shader in luminance or color channels: Works well for 3D objects - just set inside and outside colours. Doesn't technically do what you want, but it's pretty close.

2. Box / Star / Circular Gradients can be used in much the same way on objects that are close to those shapes

3. Vertex Maps: To assign a bleed colour to specific edges, you can make a vertex map to go in the vertex map shader, which can be used either in a second material using alpha, or directly multiplied with whatever is in your colour / luminance channels via a layer shader

4. Sketch-n-Toon can stroke the edges like your reference too with a soft brush to get a similar effect.

Hope that helps...

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, that does help!  #3 sounds the most promising.  I live in a tropical climate, so I'm constantly inspired by the amazing plant life out here.  I'd like to re-create the leaf textures in these pictures, but not photo realistically, but in a  graphical / cartoony style.   

File 15-6-2017, 3 29 06 PM.jpeg

File 15-6-2017, 3 23 51 PM.jpeg

That would be far easier to do with a single picture mapped to individual leaves.

CBR