Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

hazi

46 hour render = corrupted file :( :( :(

hazi    0

I have been waiting patiently for this 30 second video to render.

Finally after 46 hours of rendering over 2 nights, the video was complete. (was using physical render and rendered at 120 fps)

I was relieved that it was finally finished, and opened it proud of my self... "File is corrupted or cannot be played".

GREAT

Does anyone know the reason for this? The video was 30 seconds long, a simple animation with slow camera movements.

I really really badly don't want to render this again and am hoping I can restore the file. 

I'm very upset!

Cerbera    1,202

I don't know the reason for this, and you haven't really given us any information about your system or scene or settings for anyone here to be able to tell you either.

However, you can avoid the problem in the future by rendering an image sequence (png or tif are fine) instead of direct to video, so that if anything goes wrong, you can restart the render from wherever it got to. Then all you do is combine the image sequence to video in your video editor / post program.

CBR

• Like 1

Rectro    523

Cerbera is totally right, you should be rendering out a image sequence not a video file for final production especially if your waiting that kind of time.

What encoder did you use? Sometimes the last bit of data don't writen and won't play the file.  You can get video repair apps on Pc, not sure on Mac.

QuickTime pro and photoshop can combine image sequence to video, most people have one of these apps.

Dan 

grain    105

Was the file rendering out through picture viewer? It's a long shot, but if the frames are still visible in picture viewer then they're still in your C4D Cache folder. From picture viewer itself you can save out an image sequence. This works only if you haven't closed C4D since that render finished, which is unlikely.  I've done this before when I've accidentally rendered a sequence out over another one with the same filename, and been able to resurrect the previous frames through picture viewer cache.

As the other guys have said, image sequences are the way to go. 

hazi    0
  • Topic Author
  • If I open the corrupt file, windows media player says "File is corrupt or cannot play video".

If I put the corrupt file into after effects it works fine and opens it.

BUT

Only the last half of the video is there... Where is the rest? I'm very confused because it gave me a small thumbnail of the frame it was rendering, and I saw it rendering the whole thing. Start to finish. Where is the start?!

Next time I do things like this I will make sure its done in an image format. I don't have much space on my pc but I can take care of that for the image format.

3DKiwi    316
    20 hours ago, hazi said:

Next time I do things like this I will make sure its done in an image format. I don't have much space on my pc but I can take care of that for the image format.

You can buy an 1Tb external harddisk here in NZ for under a $100 from the Warehouse and others. No excuse not to have enough storage space these days. I bought a 3TB one and have backups of my SSD and internal harddisk.

Edited by 3DKiwi
    Changed gb to tb

Midphase    6
    1 hour ago, 3DKiwi said:

You can buy an 1gb external harddisk here in NZ for under a $100 from the Warehouse and others. No excuse not to have enough storage space these days. I bought a 3GB one and have backups of my SSD and internal harddisk.

Pretty sure you meant tb.  :-)

• Like 1

danijelk    23

Always render in .png or .tiff image sequence, never directly to video format, to avoid any problems later. Whatever happens, you can always continue rendering from last frame.