Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

Adept

Limiting IK End Joint Rotation

Adept    1

Hi! I am working on an animation involving a character holding a pistol, and have IK chains setup from the shoulder down to the wrist. This works, but whenever the ik target is moved or any other parents are moved/rotated, the hands come undone from the pistol like so:

https://gyazo.com/54988b8e4e906126fbb9d6d53b4a6000

Is there any way to lock the rotation of the wrists so that they stay in the same position on the handgun until I want them to? 

Thanks!

Edit:

I guess what I mean is instead of "locking" the wrist rotation, I mean have the wrist rotate to match the gun, rather than stay stiff.

everfresh    158

you need to parent constraint your hands ik controllers to the gun, after you've done that they will stay in place.

Adept    1
  • Topic Author
  • 25 minutes ago, everfresh said:

you need to parent constraint your hands ik controllers to the gun, after you've done that they will stay in place.

Like parent them under the gun?

Cerbera    1,202
    1 hour ago, Adept said:

.Like parent them under the gun?

No. Parent Constraint. It's a mode of the Constraint tag from the character tags grp.

CBR

Adept    1
  • Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

No. Parent Constraint. It's a mode of the Constraint tag from the character tags grp.

CBR

4 hours ago, everfresh said:

So i did that, added the parent constraint to both the hand ik goals making the parent the gun, and it didnt change the way they act when moved. The hands still rotated to come off the grip...

everfresh    158

then something might be wrong with your rig setup. if you upload the file we can have a look...

Adept    1
  • Topic Author
  • 17 hours ago, everfresh said:

then something might be wrong with your rig setup. if you upload the file we can have a look...

I believe I got it. Im pretty sure it was the "align goal" box that needed to be checked. thanks for the help!