duud

Vray or Octane ..

duud    1

Hi!
I know there are some discussions out there about this topic, but some of them are a little bit old and both engines have new features.
In the company there I´m working for, like to buy a C4D license and a 3rd party render engine, the fight actually is between VRay and Octane. The computer used for rendering will be the next one:
Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 2.40 Ghz x 2 (2 Processors)
32 Gb Ram
Nvidia Quadro K4200
In terms of quality, VRay and Octane are awesome, Vray is mainly CPU and Octane GPU..
What about rendering for animation? Any big diference?
What about Bugs/Support?

Thank you very much :) 

Igor    467

Did you check Redshift? Many of us think it's a next new big thing. It's fast, it's super good in quality, even Blizzard using it, it's GPU based, with standard material manager comes node based materials etc.. Check out Redshift Impressions in WiP forums of the site. 

For V-Ray I cant tell anything, never used it. Octane in other hand is nice renderer too, was working on a few projects where we used Octane and renders are really nice, so I guess it's all-time about what you need. But before you decide, please check out Redshift. Another good thing about RS is that we will be able to help you in your progress of learning because there are few of us that are using RS and we are pretty much active in sharing our work and helping each other. :) 

• Like 1

grain    107

There's not much point getting octane if you only have that single GPU. If you are looking at 3-4 GPUs then octane gets a lot more interesting. As does redshift - as Sigor says it's really great.

Vray can give great results but is quite heavy to learn. There are a lot of optimisation settings you need to know to get the most speed out of it (I hear they're simplifying this in the future) but it can give a nice result. For the build you've mentioned (2xXeon CPU) it would be the better choice.

• Like 1

Visionnext    71

I've been a Vray user for quite a while now and the results are great. A friend of mine uses Octane and is very pleased with it too. I think every renderer has its pros and cons. Octane depends on GPU power, whereas Vray is more CPU oriented, although the newest version also uses GPU.

As I have a similar setting like you, Vray is fine for me, although I have to admit that you have to get used to it. With the right settings it is very fast and the new version simplified the settings by integrating an expert mode.

Never had a look at Redshift, but I'll have a look at it. I need to setup a new workhorse anyway and there I will have a lot more GPU power than today. As I'm interested in characters (skin and hair), I wonder what RS can provide here.

• Like 2

duud    1
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you for all your replys!!

Is the first time that I have heard about Redshift, I asked some friends here in the company and told me that is very similar to VRay (the core). Anyway I was checking the website and looks like for C4D there is a Alpha version...so, actually I don't have time for bug reporting and been crazy looking for a solution..But looks really interesting for the future.

Because of the CPU base rendering, VRay it's gonna be  my choice. I used it 3 years ago for a little personal project, and on that time I founded it really powerfull.. 
    Also, the license includes 5 DR Nodes, which gonna be awesome for rendering :)

grain    107

Nice one, enjoy and post some renders when you're up and running!

• Like 1

Igor    467
    3 hours ago, duud said:

Thank you for all your replys!!

Is the first time that I have heard about Redshift, I asked some friends here in the company and told me that is very similar to VRay (the core). Anyway I was checking the website and looks like for C4D there is a Alpha version...so, actually I don't have time for bug reporting and been crazy looking for a solution..But looks really interesting for the future.

Because of the CPU base rendering, VRay it's gonna be  my choice. I used it 3 years ago for a little personal project, and on that time I founded it really powerfull.. 
    Also, the license includes 5 DR Nodes, which gonna be awesome for rendering :)

Just one note,  its says its in alpha but actually its a rock solid and free of bugs. :) Not sure how VRay is similar as its CPU based while RS is GPU based. The thing I know is that VRay is not that fast, its much much more hard to use. But it is a great renderer! 

duud    1
  • Topic Author
  • Sounds good! So probably for the next  Computer update we gonna buy some GPUs and change everything to GPU rendering, but for the moment we have some Xeons setups here and we gonna try to approach it :)

Visionnext    71

If you go for Vray, you should have a look at the masterclass at VrayforC4D. The hardest part with Vray is to understand how it works. Also the people at the forum there are quite helpful. With my new workstation and more GPU power, probably by the end of this year, I will definitely have a look at Redshift.

• Like 1

Igor    467

Guys, take a look at this it's very interesting...as it seams Redshift have a determination to be gooood if not the best. I will definitely sold my Maxwell and purchase RS. 

• Like 1

Rectro    536

Vray 3.4 demo should be out along with some getting started videos and scenes.  I cant comment on the other render engines but can on the ones iv used in which my main renders are Vray, MODO, and the Standard renderer in C4D.

Vray did have a steep learning curve, and still has a fair few settings under the hood, but v 3.4 has been fine tuned with a simple quality setting set of sliders which make even a beginner up and running very fast.  Only few settings you may need to change is in the AA settings where its set to render progressively up to 5min by default, you may want to bring this up, or turn it off by entering 0.

Where  you may see an specific advantage with vray is its SSS options, there are a few along with the ALsurface which up till recently was only available within Arnold.  Another thing to take note of is how many cores your licence covers, and to check out render farms that are available.  I would get the demo version of the renderers and see which one works best for your needs.  The pro render engine is coming to r19 so you may want to hold off a few months as this may have all you need, even at the stage its at.  I think the combined CPU GPU is the way to go for the future.

Dan

• Like 1

duud    1
  • Topic Author
  • Sorry for my late reply, I had some holydays..
    I can't wait til R19 get out with the new Pro Render, we have to buy Cinema License now, but may be we can get the license with this upgrade option..will see

I have to check out the VRay Forum and read about the last Version wich works with GPU and CPU together. I would like to know if you can setup the distributed Rendering nodes to render with CPU or GPU, or VRay do it automatically..because maybe we are gonna setup a little Farm here and it could be interesting to know if we have to go for CPU or more GPU..or maybe some good balanced computers ..