Hi guys

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off.

Cheers,
Cafe Staff 

Sign in to follow this  
reason808

General newbie GPU questions

reason808    2

I’m a long-time Mac user looking into upgrading to a more modern Windows PC based C4D setup.  I have a trash can Mac that's getting old.  It's a little unclear what performance boosts I’d generally be getting with GPU based setup - discussions and tutes tend to be specialized and advanced. 

I’ve done some initial research, and Octane seems the most popular setup, but I still have some newbie questions: 

• Would Octane or GPU cards boost toon shading? 

• Would Octane or GPU cards boost the handling of large scene files?  Would I need a viewport card?

• Would Octane or GPU cards boost character-oriented simulations like hair and cloth?

• How hot do all these GPU cards get?  I live in a tropical island, and my rooftop office already maxes out the A/C!  Should I upgrade my old monitors too?
  • Also, will I get an overall speed boost with a more modern GPU oriented setup, or will the performance boost come to a hard stop if a feature isn’t mentioned in reviews?

Regarding last question, I’m seeing lots of vids showing amazing real-time renders of, say, Blurry-Reflections+DOF.  But if I don’t use BR+DOF that much (or whatever the specific feature is) am I wasting money?

I notice people often reply to post like this one with: “It depends on what you want and are trying to do.”  To answer:  I use C4D as a professional supplement to my media teaching work.  I generally freelance during my summers or breaks.  I’ve done a mix of mograph and character animation for documentaries plus title designs.  I plan to move into character-based illustration and editorial work as well.

So I’m more of an indie guy - I don’t see myself doing ad agency or photo-realistic VFX work.  I like the illustrative, graphic, “toon” 3D style more.  That said, some of my work has involved large scene files, like Chinese landscapes or showing trends using cityscapes. Some renders have taken 10-15 minutes per 2K frame.    

HSrdelic    635

Octane is a 3rd party render engine and it has nothing to do with viewport speed.

6 hours ago, reason808 said:

Would Octane or GPU cards boost toon shading? 

No

Would Octane or GPU cards boost the handling of large scene files?  Would I need a viewport card?

Handling larger scenes will be easier with faster GPU, however it reliant on CPU performance too

How hot do all these GPU cards get?  I live in a tropical island, and my rooftop office already maxes out the A/C!  Should I upgrade my old monitors too?

They usually get hot and loud. Upgrading your display is dependent on resolution you want to run

Also, will I get an overall speed boost with a more modern GPU oriented setup, or will the performance boost come to a hard stop if a feature isn’t mentioned in reviews?

You will get better openGL/Viewport performance, and if you opt for GPU render engine you will gain a lot of performance there. Anything else is simply unaffected since it doesn't run on GPU

Some renders have taken 10-15 minutes per 2K frame.    

Then 3rd party render engine or upcoming Prorender will benefit you greatly

• Like 1

reason808    2

Thanks for the detailed reply.  It a pity that toon shading seems to be a GPU blind spot.  Perhaps there's a workraound? 

Also how hot and noisy do the GPUs get?  Hand on the hood of a car after a long drive or 1 inch from a candle hot?  Will I have an annoying fan noise during renders?