Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hart

Current state to object changes subdiv

• Topic Author
  • I'm creating models for 3D printing and repeatedly have the same issue. Model looks great with polygon object nested under subdiv surface. Nice and smooth. For the purpose of this printing procedure I try to get the polygon count with subdiv at around 750,000. Then I use "current state to object" and the resulting model has only about 200,000 polys and is not smooth. The polygons all show. I can't seem to get a final object that looks like the one with subdiv surface.  

Is there a different method to reduce my nested objects to single object for export (meaning not current state to object)? Am I missing a setting? 

25 minutes ago, Hart said:

I'm creating models for 3D printing and repeatedly have the same issue. Model looks great with polygon object nested under subdiv surface. Nice and smooth. For the purpose of this printing procedure I try to get the polygon count with subdiv at around 750,000. Then I use "current state to object" and the resulting model has only about 200,000 polys and is not smooth. The polygons all show. I can't seem to get a final object that looks like the one with subdiv surface.  

Is there a different method to reduce my nested objects to single object for export (meaning not current state to object)? Am I missing a setting? 

You've probably got your editor and renderer levels in the object tab of the subdivision surface object set to different numbers. I.e if you have editor set to 2 and render set to 0,when you current state to object you'll get the renderer value of 0 and vise versa. Set them both to 2 for example current state to object and youll get your smoothed object. Alternatively  press the c key to make it editable. It will make the sub d object and anything else nested under it have that level of subdivision. Usually if I'm exporting to key shot for example I make it editable on  2 or 3

• Topic Author
  • You were correct. I assumed (wrongly) that because I'm not rendering the render setting wouldn't matter. 

Thank you!