Hi guys

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off.

Cheers,
Cafe Staff 

Backplates & HDRI

5 hours ago, Anthony Owen said:

A really nice project, congratulations. How did you produce the maps?

Thanks again Anthony!
The normal map and ambient occlusion was baked inside Substance Painter and so was the thickness map before I adjusted it in Photoshop.
Beside those I hand painted the sub dermis, roughness, and the fuzz map for the tiny fuzzy hairs on the face.
I used real photo's of my fathers head combined with hand painting it to achieve the skin texture.

Not a lot of progress besides the glasses I did this morning and some minor texture and lighting tweakings :)

screenshot010.jpg

• Like 2

Visionnext    53

Not so sure about the upper lip, but otherwise excellent! Unique and very detailed.

1 hour ago, Visionnext said:

Not so sure about the upper lip, but otherwise excellent! Unique and very detailed.

Thank you! So you don't like people with a thin upperlip :P ?

1 minute ago, Visionnext said:

Somehow the edge is a bit sharp IMHO. :slysmile:

Yeah you're totally right! Working on it :D

It's taking ages to finish this one but I'm loving it so far! Dropped the idea of a WW2 veteran in ceremonial outfit since I want to finish it and move on to some architectural project or so.

Changes since last post:
Made the upper lip less sharp
Added a new cornea to the eye

Added hair

Added a cap
Tons of texture tweaks

screenshot0144.jpg

• Like 2

Anthony Owen    19

Nice! The cap suggests a 1920/30 working man. 

Rectro    434

Hey!  cool work, nice progress throughout the thread.  

If you wanted to further add more to it, at the corners of the mouth are nodes where the muscles of the face all connect to, this helps create the indent you see at the corners of the mouth.  By simply brush stroking across the corners of the mouth where these nodes are located you get that nice shadow.

Adding more of the cheek bone with give him a better 3/4 silhouette.  

Realy nice job, keep it up.

Dan

17 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Hey!  cool work, nice progress throughout the thread.  

If you wanted to further add more to it, at the corners of the mouth are nodes where the muscles of the face all connect to, this helps create the indent you see at the corners of the mouth.  By simply brush stroking across the corners of the mouth where these nodes are located you get that nice shadow.

Adding more of the cheek bone with give him a better 3/4 silhouette.  

Realy nice job, keep it up.

Dan

Hi Dan, thanks for the advice! Just to make clear what you're saying, if I take your avatar as an example, do you mean the little indentations or gaps at the corners of the mouth, sort of a small overlapping?

EDIT: I see that exactly what you wrote, still early and just woke up haha

4 hours ago, Anthony Owen said:

Nice! The cap suggests a 1920/30 working man. 

Thank you Anthony! A working man of that time was my first thought when I build this character but I think it will just be a modern times guy with kind off a farmers outfit :D

Rectro    434
9 minutes ago, PrivatePolygon said:

@Rectro Better like this ?

screenshot015NewMouth.jpg

Yup, but you can push it more.  I find looking up at the lips from under the chin you should see  curvature of the lips with the lower lips being over hung by the upper lips.  The node not only aids in adding the extra shadow at the corner of the lips, but it contributes to the 3/4 angle of the silhouette as does the Zygomatic bone for the cheek..  Good thing in Zbrush you can use the flat matt to get a quick silhouette, and use the blur to read shadows which helps a huge amount.  Adding a slight M shape to the upper lips would also break the streight upper lip.  If you need any examples I can post them or send you some images via PM.

Dan