Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

hvanderwegen

AMD Threadripper: Cinebench R15 results

littlepony    4

Woah that's amazing, is it cheaper than the i9 xtreme edition processors?

hvanderwegen    23

$999 for the 1950, and 799 for the 1920.

And 64 pcie lanes!!! To bring this into perspective, Intel's $13,000 Xeon Platinum has 48 lanes.

Which means we can have up to 1TB of RAM.

Intel got caught with their pants down. The only answer from Intel so far: a paper-based $1990 18-core i9 which will be out next year, I believe.

This is an amazing CPU, and the price is unbelievably low. Good times! Finally a reason to upgrade my old i7 920 in few months.

They start selling them in August. Dell is coming out with this:

Alienware-Area-51-Desktop-PC-OEM.jpg

• Like 1

Cutman    123

WOW! Getting nostalgic for those heady days when Intel and AMD were kicking chunks out of each other with CPU development.

I hope they sell a ton of them and it brings in a new era of choice and competitiveness in not just CPUs but GPUs too as an AMD coffers brimming over will enable them to invest more in competing with nVidia too.

hvanderwegen    23

Agreed, this reminds me of the good old days when AMD would go head on with Intel.

AMD could have priced these much higher, but decided to side with the consumers - the only reason why I went with Intel last time was purely because AMD could not compete at all at the time.

Things look very, very different now. :lol:

And the single thread performance is pretty good as well: a 3.4 GHz base clock and a 4.0 GHz boost!

This is the perfect 3d workstation CPU. I want it!

• Like 1

McDev    7

That is great news. I still have my 7 Year old AMD X6 which I plan to replace soon. Good timing AMD :)

I wonder is there any inbetween solution like 8 Cores? The price difference is big between the 4 and 12 cores.

littlepony    4

Me too, I was going for a intel xtreme processor and would have bought a $300 motherboard if I hadn't seen this post. Thanks @hvanderwegen

37 minutes ago, McDev said:

That is great news. I still have my 7 Year old AMD X6 which I plan to replace soon. Good timing AMD :)

I wonder is there any inbetween solution like 8 Cores? The price difference is big between the 4 and 12 cores.

AMD FX processors are great too if you have been using an X6 this for 7 years. I use a FX-6300 (a six core which can clock upto 4Ghz) and it never disappointed me. I recommend that you try the FX-8350 (an 8 core processor) , its the processor with the best performace/price ratio in the market. The only downside to it is that it doesn't support DDR4 RAMs. 

Cutman    123
1 hour ago, McDev said:

Look at the AMD Ryzen 7 range of processors. Unbeatable value.

1 hour ago, hvanderwegen said:

Agreed, this reminds me of the good old days when AMD would go head on with Intel.

AMD could have priced these much higher, but decided to side with the consumers - the only reason why I went with Intel last time was purely because AMD could not compete at all at the time.

Things look very, very different now. :lol:

And the single thread performance is pretty good as well: a 3.4 GHz base clock and a 4.0 GHz boost!

This is the perfect 3d workstation CPU. I want it!

Yes, the single core clock speed and the huge number of cores together is the great leap forward. Thanks to Intel we've had either or never both together.

littlepony    4

@Zmotive come on man, both of AMD processors outperformed intel's flagship processors and they are both cheaper. So why the disappointed look? Did you design a better processor than the threadripper at your basement

Name it coreripper if you did :'D

Cutman    123

Intel are really worried about the great leap forward AMD has made with Ryzen, Threadripper and Epic.

I find AdoredTV one of the best Tech channels, his video are always extremely well researched and free from bias. He does play fairly and calls a spade a spade.

AMD is competing in all areas and offering similar performance and half the cost (or at the same price point AMD offer approx 2x the performance) across the board. Good on them.

• Like 1