Hi guys

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off.

Cheers,
Cafe Staff 

Backplates & HDRI

CApruzzese    40

So I am at it again with another horror short - Edgar Allen Poe's "The Oval Portrait" . My last will be shown in San Francisco this fall and the festival would like another so I am hoping to finish this by September. Normally that would be impossible but I have a big head start , having done a lot of work on this waiting for a dialogue track to get done for the last one.  No sync sound in this one either, makes it faster. Today I finished rigging the two main characters but still have to make the guy who finds the portrait and is the narrator.  The manor looks totally different in the final composite - I put way too much effort into detailing  something seen in a snowstorm at night. 

publictity image.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 07.52.57.png

bedroom.png

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

Cerbera    917

You really are ludicrously productive ! :)

Are you tempted to get some Magic Snow out for your Wintery exteriors ? (I mean the nice free Nitro4D plugin) 

CBR

CApruzzese    40
4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

You really are ludicrously productive ! :)

Are you tempted to get some Magic Snow out for your Wintery exteriors ? (I mean the nice free Nitro4D plugin) 

CBR

I tried but it didn't work out well so the snow and a few compositing effects and colour correction  were done in after effects instead. I LOVE his plugins. I am only on c4d 16 but since I have nitroblast I don't really feel left out with the veronica (?) fracturing. Right now I am working out some dynamic joints to make the wife's dress move since my attempts to get cloth to work on another project were less than desirable - to say the least! 

I feel lazy - the reason I have so much of these animations done is because I am not getting hired for paying jobs lately! 

CApruzzese    40

Small update

I made an animation of the painting in various stages, almost to completion to use as a texture on the canvas to show time passing .

Made with Affinity Photo mostly and little Photoshop animated in After Affects. 

• Like 1

CApruzzese    40

Probably the poster for the festival showing.

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 13.12.28.png

bobc4d    74

I confess I googled The Oval Portrait and it is creepy story and I am sure your short will be another amazing story line, I can't wait for finished product.  you do such great work on these shorts.

CApruzzese    40
2 hours ago, bobc4d said:

I confess I googled The Oval Portrait and it is creepy story and I am sure your short will be another amazing story line, I can't wait for finished product.  you do such great work on these shorts.

That is way to kind of you to say! I was told if I finish it by September it will be shown in a festival with my last animation " Staley Fleming's Hallucination" So I am working overtime on it before I leave for a photoshoot in Colorado in 2 weeks. I work a lot on the story, trying to get them to work as an animation that me as one person can actually accomplish. Poe is not easy to adapt! This seems to be lesser known story of his. I have a 2 volume set from 1912, a complete works of Poe thing, but it is not in there - so I had to look for it online as well! 

CApruzzese    40

So it's done! I can't believe I did this so fast, only 2-3 months and while that might show in some places - it was still a lot of work.  Time to start on something completely different and fun - this was my 5th gothic horror in a row! 

bobc4d    74

this is really well done.  I love how you changed the quality of narration to a more tinny sound and had subtle black line across the screen, much like would be done to an old home movie.  The execution is spot on, great pace and timing.

CApruzzese    40
42 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

this is really well done.  I love how you changed the quality of narration to a more tinny sound and had subtle black line across the screen, much like would be done to an old home movie.  The execution is spot on, great pace and timing.

Thank you! I thought long and hard on that aspect. I thought there should be a difference between the narrator telling his story and then telling the story he was reading. I did something similar in my adaption of Cool Air, but  I don't think anyone noticed it.