Cinema 4D Plugins

cavolfiore

Difficulties in matching perspective

cavolfiore    1

Hey guys,

I'm finding difficult to calibrate a camera starting from the picture I attached here (this is a jpeg version without brand logo). Basically the customer request is to transitioning from this picture to the 3D model I have, but no matter what I try to do the big tanks in the background are crooked! The image has pretty straight lines, so I think the lens distortion has been addressed in photoshop by the photographer who made the picture. I've to ask if there's any chance to get the original shot instead of working on the roto versions without any environment details that could offer better features to calibrate the camera. I also attached the metadata I got analyzing the picture. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as always! I really don't know what I'm missing here

test_for_forum.jpg

Metadata.png

Cerbera    1,214

Are you using the camera calibrator, thusly ?

CBR

cavolfiore    1
  • Topic Author
  • I think yes, I have add it to the camera, add the lines and defined the correct orientation, I also used the grid tool to set the floor plane... and nothing, this is what I get:

screen_capture_forum.jpg

Cerbera    1,214

Oh dear - yes if that's failing you I'm not sure where you'd go afterwards without getting hold of the original shots. Not having any great ideas about that myself, so will watch with interest to see what everyone else suggests...

CBR

digitvisions    51

Hi, it's hard to tell from your screenshots, did you add the camera mapping tag that was created  by the calibration to the 3d model mesh?

MJohnny    32

You can be easily tricked by the isolated machinery and no horizon lines.

My best bet would be to "eyeball" it, instead of using calibrator.

See the setup below. Worked for me in many cases like this.

You can trust 35mm lens as per photo. Rotate and zoom your camera until the viewport fits your model.

File.c4d

cavolfiore    1
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks guys for Your incredible support! @MJohnny I'm opening your scene right now to check it out. I tried the eyeball solution, but with poor results ,I'm curious to check how you dealt with that! @digitvisions no, I didn't project the texture over the model, the client simply wants a match between the 3D model (with very simple texture, like symbolic colors and no real shaders) and the picture.