• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
nerv

Post your Redshift WIP / Final Images!

• Topic Author
  • Happy new year, all! 

Kicking off 2018 with some more retro-future minimalism.  

somenerv-NTRE.thumb.jpg.b560201cf310039bdcbe53fd097750b4.jpg  somenerv-MNOS.thumb.jpg.4e9cd1dd3299e68302f261a54c0ee69d.jpg

Hi,

Just joined this Redshift for C4D club, here's some quick simple stuff, some first steps in RS :).

Cheers, 

AR8_png.png

Loving Redshift!

Here's a comparison of my current work between Arnold and Redshift renderer. I never thought I use another renderer aside from Arnold (with that big announcement of GPU renderer) but dude, this biased rendering machine I'm loving it! 

I'm running

Intel Core i7 4710HQ

Geforce GTX 870M

My machine is quite old but it's still killing it!

Arnold-vs-RS.thumb.jpg.dbd02fa40b69626d1d45269dbef123cd.jpg

On 30/12/2017 at 3:21 PM, djfilms said:

All I want for my New Year's Day birthday is to find out how to make x-particles hourglass sand falling and piling up...... can't get a falling column to work without particles going berserk because I've got p-p collisions on (in order to make the particles pile up).

Any clever soul out there know how?

Hi Djfilms, I was doing a bit of sand clumping type tests before Christmas and had a look at what was needed for this. It sounds like all you need is the "Friction" property selected (for memory, don't have XP/C4D open to check). Also under one of the new settings in particle type, think this is under emitter, change liquid to granular (I am sure this also helped as I didn't test with the standard default liquid option). I don't remember using any p/p collisions (also tested and is very slow to process) as when I was looking into this it wasn't needed, though when I originally tested before researching was that was my line of thought to use as well, but in the end wasn't required as the friction options that include bounce and friction etc is what worked.

Also, would just have the hourglass object set as with the collision tag set to inside. 

MickD, many thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail. I will follow up on your suggestions: they make a suspicious amount of sense! Best regards, David

• Topic Author
  • Finally able to share a project I recently finished for Trident Gum’s latest ad campaign in Puerto Rico. 

The project consisted of a main 15-second animation to be aired in television and digital platform, plus a handful of individual loops to be used in social media stories, etc. 

Storyboarding and concept were done by McCann Worldgroup’s San Juan team, as well as all the final narration and audio. 

I was in charge of all animation, etc.

All done in Cinema 4D and using a bit of X-Particles here and there.  Rendered with Redshift.  

nerv-tridentstories-bubblegum.gif?format nerv-tridentstories-tropical.gif?format= nerv-tridentstories-peppermint.gif?forma nerv-tridentstories-spearmint.gif?format nerv-tridentstories-watermelon.gif?forma nerv-tridentstories-original.gif?format=

Great work Nerv. The only real thought is the interaction of the liquid on the text on the cylinder. For example, the watermelon slices bounce off but the liquid runs behind the text. Just wondering if this was down to times of simulation? or the result wasn't very good etc?

Terrific stuff! Well done.

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, MickD said:

Great work Nerv. The only real thought is the interaction of the liquid on the text on the cylinder. For example, the watermelon slices bounce off but the liquid runs behind the text. Just wondering if this was down to times of simulation? or the result wasn't very good etc?

Thanks.

Yes, that was a subject of some internal debate. The results of having the liquids collide with the copy were mixed. The less viscous one (“water”) was more or less ok, but the viscous one (“bubblegum slime”) was kind of erratic and a little hard to tame - especially since the client was adamant about keeping the copy unoccluded for as long as possible. Something bumping into the copy momentarily was ok, but fluids remaining stuck to them wasn’t.

It may have fared better with something like realflow or even Houdini to simulate the fluids, as opposed to XP.  However, when presented with all the options - including additional time to re-sim the fluids with a different engine - the client chose to go with what’s shown here. 

There were a few other decisions and requests along the way that I wasn’t exactly thrilled with - but I erred on the side of keeping the client pleased. This was a very educational project. There’s a lot I took away from it that I will be applying to future ones.

Those damn clients. Haha. Who do they think they are... :/

I was thinking what you have said would be the case. It is always fun though to be able to learn different techniques and workarounds to get the results required. That is often one thing you can take away from even the worst jobs. It would have been great if you had the opportunity to play with Realflow or Houdini (if you know how to use them at all). I see the clients point in keeping the text legible. Do you not think the new XP4 liquids could achieve greater results, more on par with the other two apps for this type of thing?

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, MickD said:

Those damn clients. Haha. Who do they think they are... :/

I was thinking what you have said would be the case. It is always fun though to be able to learn different techniques and workarounds to get the results required. That is often one thing you can take away from even the worst jobs. It would have been great if you had the opportunity to play with Realflow or Houdini (if you know how to use them at all). I see the clients point in keeping the text legible. Do you not think the new XP4 liquids could achieve greater results, more on par with the other two apps for this type of thing?

Can't live with 'em, can't pay rent without 'em.  

XP4 launched just as we were closing the books, so I never got a chance to try it out on this.  I presume it would've been better than with 3.5, but still not sure that it stacks up to RF or Houdini's fluids.  I might just re-sim these with XP4 at some point, just for comparison's sake. 

I do have a couple of prospective new projects that may require more realistic fluid behavior.  I recently motivated myself to start getting into Houdini (again) for this and a few other things, so if XP4's fluids are still not really meeting the mark, I will have a viable option - even if I kind of hate using it. 

We would all indeed be out of jobs without them, sadly. 

Oh right. I didn't realise you were using 3.5 for this one. I never really tested fluids in 3.5 but they seem pretty awesome so far in V4. Just make sure to play with the filters in the VDB mesh options for better smoothing. I would expect nothing at the moment can compare to Realflow or Houdini with really any particle or fluid sim, generally, but XP will definitely catch up at some point if it keeps moving like it is. 

Jealous that you are learning Houdini. I still need to learn C4D and the plugins it has. I use to jump in between lots of apps to learn but now trying to focus on just the one.

Sign in to follow this  

• BLOGS / NEWS & SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

About Us

C4D Cafe is the largest Cinema 4D community. We provide facilities for discussion, showcasing and learning our favourite software.
    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, watch tutorials directly from our video gallery,  get your own private messenger, post and upload images, manage your profile and much more. If you need to find solution to your problem or otherwise ask for help, C4D Cafe is the right place to be for learning 3D.  :cowboypistol: