Igor

New in Cinema 4D R19 - Full Feature List

5 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

It is true but it is not MAXON fault, issue is in drivers which is something nVidia or Apple have to address.

There has been a cycle between Apple doing the drivers in-house and nVidia taking responsibility and ATM nVidia are handling their own drivers in MacOS the last I heard. Presumably because they can only offer aftermarket solutions and are not an Apple supplier.

2 hours ago, Cutman said:

ProRender will not work on Macs with nVidia cards. So if you've got designs on an nVidia eGPU solution for C4D on Mac think again.

Source: MAXON's Twitter...

Astonishing...

That's one of the reason I won't renew, for the first time in 8 years, my MSA.

Cheers

Regis

1 hour ago, virtualzapp said:

That's one of the reason I won't renew, for the first time in 8 years, my MSA.

Really? I mean, to each their own, but ProRender is, like, the bottom of my list of things coming out in this release. I would want to keep updated for a BUNCH of other reasons! Besides, all rumors point to R20 being huge and you don't want to fall off the wagon now!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Greatszalam said:

Really? I mean, to each their own, but ProRender is, like, the bottom of my list of things coming out in this release. I would want to keep updated for a BUNCH of other reasons! Besides, all rumors point to R20 being huge and you don't want to fall off the wagon now!

same here, prorender doesn't excite me at all, at least not yet. although some renders i've seen look nice, they all scream CG, loud and clear. can't put my finger on it, but everything i've seen so far rendered with it is far from looking photoreal. and renderfarm pricing has gotten so affordable over the last couple of years i simply don't care that much anymore if a render takes 2 or 20 minutes a frame. but r19 holds a lot of other features (actually it's mainly the small improvements) that will be of great use to me.

5 hours ago, Greatszalam said:

Well, for the price asked, one feature won't work, and IMHO when someone is purchasing something, it is for getting all working.

Then there is the new sound effector, nice, but absolutely not essential for me.

Last but not least, the new voronoi fracture feature seems to be good, but I own NitroBlast v2 and honestly I started to learn Houdini.

So for all the bucks (650 $USD which is roughly 830 $CAD) I have to pay, I feel it is better to invest and  turn to Houdini Indie version for further FX stuff as well as the whole possibility of controlling everything like I (or my clients) wish and it is for ONLY 199 $USD. 

Now based on possible future contracts next year ,and if R20 is as promising as people are saying (or wishing), then I will get back,  paying certainly a bit more but at least in the meantime I would have learnt another powerful tool for cheaper.

Don't misunderstand me, I do like very much Cinema 4D and I do respect people ready to roll with R19, but reality of money (cost) caught me back, so I have to invest quiet wisely with my very modest budget.

Cheers

Regis

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 4:16 PM, Igor said:

Workflow / UI

New Feature Highlighting
        Highlights new features in the current and previous version
        Highlights fade when used
        Custom highlight sets can be created

Custom highlight sets? This is very useful for me. We can take advantages of this new feature to highlight important components while recording tutorials.
@RBarrett Can this be applied to third-party plugins?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, virtualzapp said:

Well, for the price asked, one feature won't work, and IMHO when someone is purchasing something, it is for getting all working.

Then there is the new sound effector, nice, but absolutely not essential for me.

Last but not least, the new voronoi fracture feature seems to be good, but I own NitroBlast v2 and honestly I started to learn Houdini.

So for all the bucks (650 $USD which is roughly 830 $CAD) I have to pay, I feel it is better to invest and  turn to Houdini Indie version for further FX stuff as well as the whole possibility of controlling everything like I (or my clients) wish and it is for ONLY 199 $USD. 

Now based on possible future contracts next year ,and if R20 is as promising as people are saying (or wishing), then I will get back,  paying certainly a bit more but at least in the meantime I would have learnt another powerful tool for cheaper.

Don't misunderstand me, I do like very much Cinema 4D and I do respect people ready to roll with R19, but reality of money (cost) caught me back, so I have to invest quiet wisely with my very modest budget.

Cheers

Regis

I'd be very surprised if you can do paying work within the constraints of the Houdini Indie license. The $100k income limit is for clients too and even a Mom n Pop car dealership would have an income over that. I have Houdini Indie to learn with but could not use it on paying work due to the licensing.

I'm with you on the R19 upgrade, I renewed only one of our M$As through gritted teeth. For the 3D work I do the R19 update was very light indeed and as much as I want to believe that R20  will be the 'Messiah', I think the chances of that being so are slight to none given the entire history of C4D releases. In one year's time I'll be another year more experienced with Houdini and will be able to justify buying HoudiniFX and if R20 is yet another dud release I won't have any more excuses. Houdini is the natural next step for Mograph and already feels like so deep I probably won't ever learn it all before I retire.

When 'New Feature Highlighting' becomes a feature of the new C4D release you know they were scraping around for filler for R19 let alone the tent pole feature being a renderer that is undercooked, slow and missing significant production features. There are hints at a better future but no one knows how far away that future is so I'm not surprised people are questioning paying for the M$A and waiting. The M$A renewal should not be a given and MAXON should deliver value for money at every release and not think they can get away with 'technology for tomorrow' BS.

16 hours ago, regnas said:

gjE4A5I.jpg

Ah thanks for finding that. Man, mac owners can't catch a break! Hopefully the new Vega cards are amazing and work well with mac.

@Cutman yes I was watching one of the features videos and had a small laugh at the "highlighting new features" feature being a top feature. BUT then I thought, that might actually be pretty useful.. not a complete waste of time. Obviously not the thing I'd lead with when marketing the software, but I'm glad it's there.

Still, there's enough in there to have perked my interest and I've re-upped my MSA. Bring on september!

I think I have realised that at the moment Pro-render will not make much of a difference to me and what I do. I thought it would maybe be good as a fast preview render but the enhanced openGL viewport looks sooooo good I may as well just use that. The rest of it is pretty useful and very much welcome but doesn't have the wow factor.  The Voronoi fracture looks great but kind of highlights that last year although it was very robust it was a bit shallow. LOD and Poly reduction are great and will be used plenty in the future if I ever get round to some of my imagined projects. I am not sure the 'New Feature Highlighting' should necessarily be used as a feature headline but its still useful and if customisable and people and use it as they want to then great.

Something I did see was the new face rig in the content browser! I am looking forward to taking a good look at that and pulling it apart as its something I have wanted to learn for a while but still haven't gotten round to it.

Regardless, I am still excited for the future of C4D and as Grain said .....

5 hours ago, grain said:

. Bring on september!

Simplicity - Clarity of Expression

22 hours ago, Greatszalam said:

Besides, all rumors point to R20 being huge and you don't want to fall off the wagon now!

There are rumors about R20? I remember when R16 came out people were like "I'm sticking it out because I heard R17 is going to be awesome!" then R17 came out and everyone was like "Oh, MAXON obviously has big plans for R18 but couldn't get them done in time for R17", now that R19 is coming people start saying things like you just said. 

I'm beginning to believe that maybe 3DKiwi is onto something! ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, merkvilson said:

Custom highlight sets? This is very useful for me. We can take advantages of this new feature to highlight important components while recording tutorials.
@RBarrett Can this be applied to third-party plugins?

Yes - you can create a file which contains all the command and parameters IDs which should be highlighted, and users can load that file within the preferences to highlight that set of features.

-- for everyone else, I'm simply answering a question - not elevating the feature to super awesome amazing ;)

EDIT: just re-read and realized you were specifically asking about third-party plugins. Let me answer in your preferred format:

2017-08-10_09-03-24.gif

• Like 2