Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

Igor

New in Cinema 4D R19 - Full Feature List

Icecaveman    66
On 8/11/2017 at 4:03 PM, maliohammad said:

In which regard ? The new reflectance system allowed to do things , which was impossible to do , and with that system you can create a semi  pbr render , which for me a step into the right direction .

In my view MAXON should have kept the legacy model intact and added reflectance in a different material type... just like we have standard and physical renderer.

Instead they straddled the fence, trying to merge outdated legacy options and new options into one system. What remains now is still unwieldy and clunky as evidence by the popularity of GSG's TopCoat.

Two years after the fact we are told...ah if you want it fast you should not use the color channel at all. Yet the color channel is still there.

Breaking them out into two systems/paradigms would have been far more elegant and user friendly....for those working old school and those fully adopting the new way.

As for the past five years...that's my only real criticism of the past five years (that impacted me).

• Like 1

Visionnext    64
14 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

I agree with Cutman for a change. The new super fast C4D when it comes will look much the same as it does now and function much the same. C4D is a modular type application so modules like MoGraph plug into the core application. A lot of work and thought would have gone into how to rewrite the core without having to rewrite the modules. Some however like modelling and Bodypaint have likely been largely rewritten.

Re R19. Think I pretty much nailed it with my predictions. I picked it wouldn't be the big one, Prorender would be big feature, some MoGraph enhancements, no UV / Bodypaint enhancements apart from some token gesture stuff (grow / shrink selection), no modelling enhancements apart from some under the hood stuff then the usual list of assorted enhancements.

So for R20 here goes: Super fast object handling, nodes everything including materials (if you want), updated / rewritten UV tools, proper symmetry modelling. Possibly with R20 or coming later a replacement for Thinking Particles. I would expect with the enhanced node system to be able to do some cool procedural modelling type stuff / animations but you'll need to be willing to put some time into learning how all the nodes work.

Re plugins for R20. Since the new core will be fully functional plugins / 3rd party renderers will need some major work to work with R20. Just speculating big time here.

Anyway, fun times ahead.

Well, I hoped for a node system in R19, but R20 would be fine. I like your predictions about R20, especially the nodes, modelling and the UV stuff. I'm not into motion graphics or archviz, but more in characters and landscapes.

mrittman    3
On 8/11/2017 at 5:59 PM, Icecaveman said:

1. The Reflectance system seemed counter-intuitive and a step backwards.

2. One release (17? I can't remember) seemed light and lacking impact.

Totally agree with you about Reflectance. The fact that TopCoat was created to help demystify Reflectance says a lot. And after having used Corona to create materials, it's leagues better than Reflectance.

I thought R17 was a pretty lackluster release (and I still do), but I will say that having gotten more familiar with the Take System, it has been a huge time-saver for me. Not having to break apart my animations into separate C4D files has been very nice.

• Like 1

Greatszalam    67
22 minutes ago, mrittman said:

...but I will say that having gotten more familiar with the Take System, it has been a huge time-saver for me. Not having to break apart my animations into separate C4D files has been very nice.

Takes and Tokens are very underrated. For me, they would be worth the upgrade price all on their own.

• Like 1

Icecaveman    66
6 hours ago, Greatszalam said:

Takes and Tokens are very underrated. For me, they would be worth the upgrade price all on their own.

I agree. Massive value in those features.

Cutman    123
19 hours ago, Greatszalam said:

Easily pleased...

• Like 1
  • I doubt !! 1

Simmy    50

I don't think it is about being easily pleased its about personal value depending on workflow and preferences. Another mans trash is another mans treasure and all that!

You are not paying for each others MSA so no need to say any more than you disagree and spend money accordingly

• Like 2

Fastbee    51

It would be nice if Takes worked with team render.  If it would automatically set one computer per frame of each take that would be great.  Right now I don't think takes works at all with team render.

Greatszalam    67

@Fastbee I use Takes with TR all the time for my full time job. Works great. I've used it in both the render queue and what @climbingair mentions.

And, @Cutman it's not that I'm easily pleased. As @Simmy says, Takes and tokens just fits our workflow and projects so well. It has saved countless hours (actually, I could probably count them - it's at least in the hundreds of hours). I had a recent set of projects where I would have had dozens of different project files - each one requiring changes when feedback came from the client. Instead, I had one file per project. I could change the texture on the ground or the lighting (for example) and it would ripple through ALL of the animations instead of me having to dive into bunches of different project files to make the changes. Then I just hit render and it organizes each render into its own folder structure using Tokens. Saving me, again, many hours of work setting it all up manually.

R17 has literally saved us thousands upon thousands of dollars of man hours. Not bad for $650! When I said it was worth the upgrade price, I meant it in quite a literal sense. It more than paid for itself on the first project we used it on.

Cutman    123
2 hours ago, Simmy said:

I don't think it is about being easily pleased its about personal value depending on workflow and preferences. Another mans trash is another mans treasure and all that!

You are not paying for each others MSA so no need to say any more than you disagree and spend money accordingly

There's nothing wrong with the Takes and Tokens system it's just that was pretty much ALL the R17 update was. 

If you're really happy to have such a lightweight release when great swathes of C4D are utterly and completely out of date that makes you easily pleased. If R17 had Takes and Tokens plus a much needed update/replacement to Xpresso/TP you wouldn't have heard a peep out of me.

Simmy    50

@CutmanUltimately it just doesn't matter to him if you aren't pleased. As he said it saved him more than it cost him and that is what he wants from his software. I've not used takes and tokens (I don't really fully understand them yet) and I didn't renew when R17 came along. I did the year after when a deal was put up for upgrade to R17 with MSA just before R18 came out. I didn't renew then because I didn't see the value until much much later.

Obviously the more of the out dated features that get updated or re-written the happier I will be every renewal month but only as long as it continues to be solid and reliable as C4D has always been for me. (I am glossing over team render at launch as I was lucky not to have to use it)

edit: disclaimer: I don't use C4D in a professional manner therefore my views may be skewed compared to those who rely on it to feed their family