Igor

New in Cinema 4D R19 - Full Feature List

mrittman    13
On 8/11/2017 at 5:59 PM, Icecaveman said:

1. The Reflectance system seemed counter-intuitive and a step backwards.

2. One release (17? I can't remember) seemed light and lacking impact.

Totally agree with you about Reflectance. The fact that TopCoat was created to help demystify Reflectance says a lot. And after having used Corona to create materials, it's leagues better than Reflectance.

I thought R17 was a pretty lackluster release (and I still do), but I will say that having gotten more familiar with the Take System, it has been a huge time-saver for me. Not having to break apart my animations into separate C4D files has been very nice.

• Like 1

Greatszalam    82
22 minutes ago, mrittman said:

...but I will say that having gotten more familiar with the Take System, it has been a huge time-saver for me. Not having to break apart my animations into separate C4D files has been very nice.

Takes and Tokens are very underrated. For me, they would be worth the upgrade price all on their own.

• Like 1

Icecaveman    68
6 hours ago, Greatszalam said:

Takes and Tokens are very underrated. For me, they would be worth the upgrade price all on their own.

I agree. Massive value in those features.

19 hours ago, Greatszalam said:

Easily pleased...

Simmy    62

I don't think it is about being easily pleased its about personal value depending on workflow and preferences. Another mans trash is another mans treasure and all that!

You are not paying for each others MSA so no need to say any more than you disagree and spend money accordingly

• Like 2

Fastbee    78

It would be nice if Takes worked with team render.  If it would automatically set one computer per frame of each take that would be great.  Right now I don't think takes works at all with team render.

Greatszalam    82

@Fastbee I use Takes with TR all the time for my full time job. Works great. I've used it in both the render queue and what @climbingair mentions.

And, @Cutman it's not that I'm easily pleased. As @Simmy says, Takes and tokens just fits our workflow and projects so well. It has saved countless hours (actually, I could probably count them - it's at least in the hundreds of hours). I had a recent set of projects where I would have had dozens of different project files - each one requiring changes when feedback came from the client. Instead, I had one file per project. I could change the texture on the ground or the lighting (for example) and it would ripple through ALL of the animations instead of me having to dive into bunches of different project files to make the changes. Then I just hit render and it organizes each render into its own folder structure using Tokens. Saving me, again, many hours of work setting it all up manually.

R17 has literally saved us thousands upon thousands of dollars of man hours. Not bad for $650! When I said it was worth the upgrade price, I meant it in quite a literal sense. It more than paid for itself on the first project we used it on.

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

I don't think it is about being easily pleased its about personal value depending on workflow and preferences. Another mans trash is another mans treasure and all that!

You are not paying for each others MSA so no need to say any more than you disagree and spend money accordingly

There's nothing wrong with the Takes and Tokens system it's just that was pretty much ALL the R17 update was. 

If you're really happy to have such a lightweight release when great swathes of C4D are utterly and completely out of date that makes you easily pleased. If R17 had Takes and Tokens plus a much needed update/replacement to Xpresso/TP you wouldn't have heard a peep out of me.

Simmy    62

@CutmanUltimately it just doesn't matter to him if you aren't pleased. As he said it saved him more than it cost him and that is what he wants from his software. I've not used takes and tokens (I don't really fully understand them yet) and I didn't renew when R17 came along. I did the year after when a deal was put up for upgrade to R17 with MSA just before R18 came out. I didn't renew then because I didn't see the value until much much later.

Obviously the more of the out dated features that get updated or re-written the happier I will be every renewal month but only as long as it continues to be solid and reliable as C4D has always been for me. (I am glossing over team render at launch as I was lucky not to have to use it)

edit: disclaimer: I don't use C4D in a professional manner therefore my views may be skewed compared to those who rely on it to feed their family

jwiede    28

For those of us with Macs & Nvidia cards, was there ever any clarification on whether ProRender would even work?  I'm fine if Nvidia cards aren't "supported" but are functional in C4D ProRender on macOS, less so if they arbitrarily disabled ability to run on Nvidia macOS.

3 hours ago, jwiede said:

For those of us with Macs & Nvidia cards, was there ever any clarification on whether ProRender would even work?  I'm fine if Nvidia cards aren't "supported" but are functional in C4D ProRender on macOS, less so if they arbitrarily disabled ability to run on Nvidia macOS.

Hsrdelic confirmed Mac and nVidia combination no go due to OS or driver issue only Apple or nVidia can fix.