storrence    6

I have built something that seems to be a power hog for c4d. The file I've attached has 19 splines with an object moving around it while being traced.

Im running c4d on a dual xeon e5 2620 with 12 cores each.There is a gcard present rx 550. The renderer i have set to use the full server resources.

The final version of this model will have 23 more of these spline groups but when I duplicate the one I have to create 23 more, the performance gets ridiculously slow. Just to add to the render cue takes almost 30 minutes. Can someone take a look at this file and see if there is some way to optimize it?

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flh6mq0wzmsy2ba/TraceTesting.c4d.zip?dl=0

Cutman    158

You've got some ridiculously dense meshes for those hair thin tracers.

You might consider reducing the geometry of the sweeps to something more manageable or ditch the sweeps and render the Tracer with either Hair or with an X-Particles Material if you have it.

storrence    6
  • Topic Author
  • Where do I change the mesh density? In the tracer object?

I'm not too concerned with the look of the tracer. Only that it's accurate and not a big load on the cpu.

The other problem is when I duplicate this light array to 23 more, it gets ridiculously slow. If I disable the spheres then it works fast again but of course I lose the tracers. You think using hair would be a more efficient way? I've never worked with that before.

Cerbera    1,214
    12 minutes ago, storrence said:

Where do I change the mesh density? In the tracer object?

You control the density of the mesh by changing the interpolation type and number of points in the splines that comprise it.

Hair is an efficient way of rendering splines, but won't help you with viewport speed. It is perfectly possible that you simply cannot make 23 tracers fast in the viewport. You can always use Make Preview to test render.

CBR

storrence    6
  • Topic Author
  • I'm not concerned with viewport speed but just opening and saving the model takes 30 minutes when I duplicate the array to 24. That means 456 spheres. If I just turn off the spheres, the speed gets much better. I will try to do it with hair instead.

storrence    6
  • Topic Author
  • Do you know if hair can follow an object? I found this tutorial on it but it seems to use the trace tool also which means it will be just as slow.

Do you know any tutorials on how to trace the path of an object using hair?

Cutman    158

You need a tracer for Hair material to render. I don't know why your scene is so heavy with the tracer the way it is set up. I haven't used the MAXON tracer for a while and use the XP tracer but there must be some reason the scene is so sluggish.

A Hair render is taking less than a second to render here.

Cutman    158

@storrence This optimises the scene the best I know..

Put the Light and Sphere Hierarchy under a Connect object. Uncheck Weld.

Add a Matrix object in Object mode. Put Connect Object in the Matrix Object field.

Add Tracer, put Matrix into Tracer.

Render Tracer with Hair.

Repeat 23 more times.

• Awesome 1

Cutman    158

@storrenceSorry pal, I have absolutely no time for flat earth idiocy. You'll have to find someone else to help.

For someone to believe in a Flat Earth in 2017 is really very sad.

storrence    6
  • Topic Author
  • Wow what an arrogant response from an idiot that probably believes he came from a monkey and is on a spinning ball in space. Incredible how many are still sleeping in 2017!

Cerbera    1,214
    2 hours ago, storrence said:

idiot that probably believes he came from a monkey and is on a spinning ball in space

Er... not quite. We share a common ancestor with monkeys, we didn't come from them. We are on a spinning ball in space.

What's that got to do with your C4D problem though ?!