C4DS

PolyGnome - Mesh Construction Kit

C4DS    196

A while ago the Polystein Kit for MODO (see https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/topic/98647-polystein-kit-for-cinema-4d/ ) was introduced to me. From that moment the idea kept growing in the back of my head to provide something similar for the Cinema 4D community.
Once other priorities were out of the way, I started working on some scripts to test out the feasibility of my interpretation of the idea. Once a working concept was obtained using several scripts, I contacted William Vaughan, the original creator of the Polystein Kit, in order to obtain approval to take his idea and turn it into a Cinema 4D plugin.
Working from the scripts made earlier, I started implementing this new plugin, which I named "PolyGnome".
Explaining the choice of the name would be a story too long to tell here, so I 'll prefer to leave that for long, cold and dark winter nights ...

The current state of the plugin does use it's own library implementation, instead of using the Content Browser. There is more than one reason for this, but since quite technical, I'll omit to explain these as well.

As mentioned in the video demonstration, the current beta version requires a two step preparation of assets. I have some ideas to automate these steps, but more important features need to get implemented first.

The plugin will be available for Windows and MacOS, R17 and above (hopefully R19 won't break anything SDK related ... fingers crossed).

Possibly R16, if there is enough interest.

Depending the feedback from beta testers the plugin will be available sooner or later. Release date and price to be announced.

Here's already a teaser, explaining the different steps:

As for my other plugin(s), which all have their dedicated threads, I'd like this specific one to be the home for discussing anything PolyGnome related.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

bezo    521

Great job Daniel like always,

few questions/ideas...

- there will be more than 2 by 2 segments on basis assets in the future? (similar like in Polystein Kit, basis 1x1, 1x2, 2x3 etc...)

- rotation whole asset/model around own axis (not without basis edge points, ment 90/180/270/360 degrees /// ofcourse on 1x1 or 2x2 or 3x3 basis)

- adding option for direct editing of inserted asset (selected just model of asset/all points/ all polygons of asset, inserted modeling axis at the basis of inserted asset etc...)

C4DS    196
  • Topic Author
  • 6 minutes ago, bezo said:

- there will be more than 2 by 2 segments on basis assets in the future? (similar like in Polystein Kit, basis 1x1, 1x2, 2x3 etc...)

- rotation whole asset/model around own axis (not without basis edge points, ment 90/180/270/360 degrees /// ofcourse on 1x1 or 2x2 or 3x3 basis)

- adding option for direct editing of inserted asset (selected just model of asset/all points/ all polygons of asset, inserted modeling axis at the basis of inserted asset etc...)

Yes, any selection of polygons (1x1, 1x2, 2x3, 3x3, 4x1, ...) is currently supported, the 2x2 used in the video was just for ease of demonstration.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with your second point, related to rotation. But assets rotated by 90/180/270/360 will keep their base edge points, and not result in twisted polygons. If that is what you meant.

As for the direct editing, I thought this might indeed be useful, but I haven't yet made up my mind how to provide these options without turning the user interface into a jungle of checkboxes ... So in order to keep it simple, I have kept it simple, and just skipped these options for now.

bezo    521

I was meant not kept basis edge points, but rotate also with model asset. In video when you applied rotation parameter I was seen (if correct) was rotated only all other points of asset instead of basis points (edges connected to "center of model" was rotated)

C4DS    196
  • Topic Author
  • 10 hours ago, bezo said:

I was meant not kept basis edge points, but rotate also with model asset. In video when you applied rotation parameter I was seen (if correct) was rotated only all other points of asset instead of basis points (edges connected to "center of model" was rotated)

Before starting to work on any plugin I have a two step "design" phase. The last step before implementation is writing down the design, but before that a large amount of time is spent on pure mentally imagine using the plugin. Finding out what works, what doesn't ... in terms of workflow. Of course a lot of things changes throughout the different stages. But it's during these first two steps where I skip a lot of "bad" ideas. Not bad in general, just things I think won't work, or are to complex for a nice user experience.

I love it when people then come up with request which I eliminated from the start ... confronting me with decisions I made, realizing I just don't know squad!

Here is one of those "bad" ideas I had:

5986c58b9208f_Matchingpoints.thumb.png.73de6ec92cfb2c3452c9917d529e43e2.png

When rotating an asset, there are two possibilities to match asset and object. I went with the one where you don't alter the main object, and adjust the asset to match. From your explanation, I understand you now want the opposite: matching the object to the asset.

I went with one of the possibilities in order to limit the option jungle ...

bezo    521

Hello Daniel,

Sorry for late reply, there was problems with my internet provider...

So, with rotation I was meant this...

default_insert.thumb.jpg.c7eaa24e297415fc2ed8a4082cd1553a.jpg59874313f1bf8_90degreesCV.thumb.jpg.6f100055843b1a56f9646b155d45d82f.jpg598743165223d_180degreesCV.thumb.jpg.0b1fc81fc9a6fb096d922c4e5decf027.jpg59874318af5ed_270degreesCV.thumb.jpg.b9d179b993a2c2b637b7867dee90d66b.jpg

- rotation of whole model/asset before welding

This is due different types of assets, because not everytime are "symetrical/rounded" and in case is asset like in example, library will fill so fast with 4x of the same object. In case we have option to rotate, there´s needed just single one model/asset...

• Like 1

C4DS    196
  • Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, bezo said:

Hello Daniel,

Sorry for late reply, there was problems with my internet provider...

So, with rotation I was meant this...

default_insert.thumb.jpg.c7eaa24e297415fc2ed8a4082cd1553a.jpg59874313f1bf8_90degreesCV.thumb.jpg.6f100055843b1a56f9646b155d45d82f.jpg598743165223d_180degreesCV.thumb.jpg.0b1fc81fc9a6fb096d922c4e5decf027.jpg59874318af5ed_270degreesCV.thumb.jpg.b9d179b993a2c2b637b7867dee90d66b.jpg

- rotation of whole model/asset before welding

This is due different types of assets, because not everytime are "symetrical/rounded" and in case is asset like in example, library will fill so fast with 4x of the same object. In case we have option to rotate, there´s needed just single one model/asset...

Ah, I see.

Well, I thought my original video demonstrated the rotation. But obviously with a symmetrical asset it's quite hard to notice the rotation ... Sorry about that.

Next short video should demonstrate what you mean.

Again, apologies for not noticing the useless symmetrical asset used for rotation purposes.

bezo    521

Another idea if I can...

- asset scale adjusting options

idea_scale_asset.thumb.jpg.a799d2b85dfcc446512e405f63ae69df.jpg

caliburn    7
    15 hours ago, bezo said:

Another idea if I can...

- asset scale adjusting options

idea_scale_asset.thumb.jpg.a799d2b85dfcc446512e405f63ae69df.jpg

also could maybe control sizing with mouse wheel and have a button to "commit" to when you have done? :-)

• Like 1

Icecaveman    68

Congrats again Daniel on your contributions to the community and to our craft!

• Like 2