• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
C4DS

PolyGnome - Mesh Construction Kit

Saw this on Lester Banks and just wanted to say it looks great!

Will we be able to add our own Kitbash elements please?

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, ledstereo said:

Saw this on Lester Banks and just wanted to say it looks great!

Will we be able to add our own Kitbash elements please?

Thanks.
    Yes. As the introductory video shows, you will be able to add you own created assets.

• Topic Author
  • Beta 3 of the plugin has been sent out to beta testers.

In the meantime here's a short demonstration of some of the new features added.

• Topic Author
  • Now, I knew it wasn't going to be easy. But, boy, oh boy, this has been a roller coaster project ... and we're not there yet. But close! Really, really close.

A big thank you to the beta testers for finding all my stupid implementation mistakes so far. And I apologize in advance for the next bugs I have introduced ;-)

Anyway.

Not to bash MAXON, but I am sure the Polystein Kit could rely on some solid functionality of the MODO SDK (or API) for the features needed.
    I haven't found everything I needed in "our" SDK and thus had to come up with quite some workarounds. But that's maybe my fault for not knowing where to look, or not being smart enough to know how to use the tools at hand. But then again, Seamilar was not different in that regard, so I guess that's the way to go to implement "speciality products".

But enough of the trash talk.
    Here's a preview of beta 6, which even beta testers haven't received yet. I am too excited, having reached this stage of the plugin, I couldn't wait for beta testers' feedback before showing it to the world (... mwhouhaaahaa!)

Minor technical detail (I won't bore you with "under the hood" explanations):

My original concept used a single window, containing both the library of assets, as well as the controls to apply the assets onto the source object.

In the end it turned out that this was a bad move, as the user interface became too cluttered. Instead I now went for a two window concept, where one window hosts the library of assets (nicknamed "Junkyard") and the other window hosts the controls to apply the asset. I went totally overboard with this control window and turned it into a graphical ... Well, I haven't yet decided how to call that window. Or maybe I'll just go for PolyGnome & Junkyard. Seems to fit the story.

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, Vozzz said:

This is looking fantastic! does work just as well on spheres?

Not sure what you would expect to be different on spheres, so I created a short demonstration video.

Of course, due to the curvy surface of the sphere the results depends on how your assets are created (if that is what you were referring to).

The next video shows different sphere types using "flat based" assets.

If this doesn't demonstrate what you intended to see, please feel free to discuss in more detail.

On ٢٧‏/٨‏/٢٠١٧ at 11:45 PM, C4DS said:

Not sure what you would expect to be different on spheres, so I created a short demonstration video.

Of course, due to the curvy surface of the sphere the results depends on how your assets are created (if that is what you were referring to).

The next video shows different sphere types using "flat based" assets.

If this doesn't demonstrate what you intended to see, please feel free to discuss in more detail.

this really awesome how can i git this ? 

• Topic Author
  • Built release candidate 2 last night, with only the documentation to be completed before release.

Unfortunately, as I just found out installing R19, this latest version of Cinema requires a complete new development environment. Bummer.

I am in the middle of projects, and can not afford the risk to install another Visual Studio.

The release of PolyGnome will have to be delayed to work with R19.

It looks amazing and well worth the wait

Simplicity - Clarity of Expression

• Topic Author
  • 23 hours ago, C4DS said:

Built release candidate 2 last night, with only the documentation to be completed before release.

Unfortunately, as I just found out installing R19, this latest version of Cinema requires a complete new development environment. Bummer.

Well, seems I was mislead by R19 locking up on start up, and the first few lines of the SDK documentation mentioning the minimum requirements.
    In the end I couldn't reproduce the lock ups I encountered the first few times. Maybe something related to ProRender requiring initialization. Not sure.

PolyGnome (built with R17 SDK) does run on R19, so I finally focused on writing the documentation.

Release version, including documentation and some sample libraries have been sent to beta tester for final approval.

Next step was to build a MacOS version of the plugin, which has been sent to Rick for evaluation purposes.

Awaiting feedback before officially provide the plugin via the C4DCafe store ...

Will keep you updated.

This is awesome, this has actually sparked my interest up again in a old project i started a while ago, a character kitbash kit, with different eyes,mouths ears etc as well as other body parts that could be inter changed to make numerous different characters.

• Topic Author
  • While I expected to have a final version by the end of August, I assumed waiting a few more days would be beneficial, in order to test it with the newly released R19. However, one always finds things to polish or fine tune, right before delivery. And even after all that extra work, not everything will be perfect.

Of course there will be bugs. Of course there will be the obviously needed small (or not so small) things that didn't make it. But eventually, at one point or another, the product needs to get released.

While finalizing the plugin I decided to provide a "lite" version of it, as I assumed not everyone would need all the features available.

As such I decided to release a PolyGnome Junior, with limited functionality.

What are the differences?

PolyGnome: (49.95 euros)

- allows both welding and floating of assets

- supports welding of assets with unmatching edge count

- unlimited number of libraries (each library can hold up to 1000 assets)

PolyGnome Junior: (29.95 euros)

- allows welding only, no floating

- welding of assets is limited to matching edge count

- only a single library can be managed (which can hold up to 1000 assets)

59b2ff7234e7c_MatchingUnmatching.thumb.png.821a8f0684d07d4afa934c0fe3827c03.png