Sign in to follow this  
C4DS

PolyGnome - Mesh Construction Kit

On 9/4/2017 at 3:28 PM, VECTOR said:

This is awesome, this has actually sparked my interest up again in a old project i started a while ago, a character kitbash kit, with different eyes,mouths ears etc as well as other body parts that could be inter changed to make numerous different characters.

yeah im busy building my own small library of parts so im ready to rock when this plugin touches down :-)

32 minutes ago, caliburn said:

yeah im busy building my own small library of parts so im ready to rock when this plugin touches down :-)

I'm working on a kitbash kit/kits specifically for this plugin at the moment I'm hoping I'll be able to get a decent amount of bits done for the release

• Topic Author
  • Just for the record: the plugins (PolyGnome and PolyGnome Junior) are ready for release ... at least for Windows (R17 - R19)

I am now in the process of setting up build environments for Mac (R17 - R19). Not being familiar with MacOS it takes a little longer to get things done, especially with all the different SDK flavors and the need for multi OS X installations. A real nightmare if you barely know how to navigate on a Mac.

I will let you know when plugin builds for both platforms are completed.

2 hours ago, VECTOR said:

I'm working on a kitbash kit/kits specifically for this plugin at the moment I'm hoping I'll be able to get a decent amount of bits done for the release

oh sorry i misread what you meant lol i just meant for my own use just in case i gave anyone else the wrong idea

1 hour ago, caliburn said:

oh sorry i misread what you meant lol i just meant for my own use just in case i gave anyone else the wrong idea

haha yea it's cool man, I ment nothing by it like that ,it's a good idea bro 

• Topic Author
  • PolyGnome and PolyGnome Junior are ready and available for R16, R17, R18 and R19, both for Windows and MacOS.

Both PolyGnome and its "lite" version comes with a small starter's library, including assets provided by Cafe member @VECTOR (thank you again for those).

More libraries might be released in the future, but for now I assume most are interested in creating their own set of assets.

Difference between the full and lite version has been explained earlier in this thread.

I will let @Igor update the Store for both products.

Same concept as with my Seamilar plugin: after purchase via the C4D Cafe Store, please contact me for registration number and plugin file.

A few things didn't make it in this release, but will be provided in future updates of the plugin (in no particular order):

- customizable thumbnail size

- (search) filters in junkyard library

- proxy placeholder in asset (a.k.a. disposable polygons)

- optimized material management

- repetitions

- allow edge selection to place assets (in addition to polygon selection)

that sphere video looks awesome!

the whole thing looks great!

Looks very interesting!  It reminds me of the old Fusion Thing plugin from Lots of Pixels.  Not sure what happened, but Lots of Pixels shut down their web-site but if you are looking for a few ideas for the next release of your plugin, this Vimeo video may be of interest.

One thing I would like to see is what would happen if two widgets were placed adjacent to each other with touching faces (not touching edges at the base but touching faces on two different adjacent widgets)    Do they just overlap?  The neat thing about Fusion Thing is that should the widget be designed so that the faces exactly align with the same number of edges and points when placed immediately adjacent to each other, they are fused.

Now that would be very, very cool!

Dave

Congratulation to release of PolyGnome Daniel, great job...

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

One thing I would like to see is what would happen if two widgets were placed adjacent to each other with touching faces (not touching edges at the base but touching faces on two different adjacent widgets)    Do they just overlap?

I cannot figure out exactly what you mean. Care to show an example in order to visualize the problem?

4 hours ago, C4DS said:

I cannot figure out exactly what you mean. Care to show an example in order to visualize the problem?

Will do because I am sure it will make a great feature.....unfortunately, I am on a business trip so I won't get to it for a few days.

On 9/18/2017 at 1:24 AM, C4DS said:

Okay.....what I noticed in the discussion to date is that all the widgets only fuse to the parent at the base.  Also, all examples shown in this thread have the widgets on every other polygon of the parent and NOT on adjacent polygons of the parent.  Therefore, I am not sure if the following two things are possible within the plugin:

1. If two widgets are placed on adjacent polygons on the parent, would the bases of adjacent widgets fuse to each other?
    2. What if other polygons other than the base were to touch when placed on adjacent polygons?  Would they fuse as well?

Here are some images to help explain what I am asking - first start with the design of the widget

59c7c3b314ec7_Insert1.thumb.JPG.71a85925ee7616ac9037012393bf5c7a.JPG

Therefore, if you follow the rule that the faces no do not exceed the extents of the base, when populated on adjacent polygons on the parent, you get the following result:

59c7c3f01835e_Insert2.thumb.JPG.df8b0e70153c7c995afa73978ad19424.JPG

If done correctly, some neat shapes could be created

59c7c4f559558_Insert3.thumb.JPG.56a727d58904f7696a18b100a859381b.JPG

Now, what I also picked up in this thread is that you can only place one widget at a time.  Pick a polygon on the parent object, populate it with a widget, pick another polygon on the parent, populate it with a widget, etc.   What I did not see is the ability for the plugin to select multiple faces on the parent and to automatically populate every selected face with the same widget (eg an "auto-populate all" capability).  Is that possible?

If so, then is it possible for you to extend the 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, etc capability discussed in the third post.  That post discussed sizing a single widget across a single group of 1x1, 2x2 or 3x3 selected polygons.  Therefore, would it be possible to place multiple widgets across 1x1, 2x2 or 3x3 adjacent polygons within a much larger selection of adjacent polygons on the parent?  That is, say you select a large group of adjacent polygons on the parent and then define whether you want the widget to populate 1x1 (every polygon), 2x2 (every group of 4 poygon's: 2 in the X and 2 in the Y), 3x3 (every group of 9 polygons, 3 in the X and 3 in the Y) etc.  

So say you have a selection that is 12x12 polygons in size.  With 1x1 selected, 144 widgets get automatically populated (one on every polygon of the plane).  With 2x2, 36 widgets get populated: one for every adjacent set of 2 polygons in the X and Y), and with 3x3, 16 widgets get populated on that parent plane (one widget for every adjacent set of 3 polygons in the X and Y).  The 3x3 example shown in the image below should help explain this:

59c7d23fe0ced_Insert4.thumb.JPG.541bdeaf1792a22d189d3b3c3e2785b1.JPG

Again, this could lead to some interesting shapes when subdivided

Hopefully this helps explain what I was asking.  Again, not sure if all this capability is already in the plugin or not so my apologies if it is.  

Thanks,

Dave