Sign in to follow this  
C4DS

PolyGnome - Mesh Construction Kit

• Topic Author
  • When I started creating this plugin there were a few features I had in mind, but simply could not find a way to provide these.

And while this plugin is no rocket science (far from it), things require quite some tricky solutions now and then. Luckily, I seem to be getting smarter day by day ... yeah, I wish!

Still, features I didn't quite know how to implement then, seem to be feasible now.

A result of this is that I now have introduced an "auto setup" for assets, which -in theory- should work for most of the assets people are creating.

In occasions where the auto setup fails to detect the necessary base and orientation, extra tools are provided to make the manual set up more user friendly.

Here's a demonstration video of the latest alpha version I am working on, before going to beta:

Another "feature" of this version is a change in library format. Each library used to be a single Cinema 4D scene file, making sharing and distributing single assets a nightmare. I have reworked the whole plugin to work with separate asset files instead. A conversion utility is part of this newer version to convert from the old format to the new one.

There is however a major drawback on this new way of storing assets.

Cinema 4D takes about 70 to 100 milliseconds to load a scene file. No big deal, you would think. But what if a library consists of 50 assets?

That would then take approx. 5 seconds to load and display. Trust me, 5 seconds is a very long time to wait after you selected a library.

As such, I also had to introduce a caching mechanism to reduce the loading time of libraries again and again. You'll only have to wait the first time a library is selected. Next times, it should like in a blink of an eye.

Next to these changes, the usual bug fixes and optimizations ... no big deal ;)

Public release of this new version will be announced when beta-testing has been completed. Thanks for reading.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:12 AM, C4DS said:

Nice one man, getting better all the time, this is gonna make smashing out hard surface stuff much easier :D 

Nice work on update Daniel, good job as always...

• Topic Author
  • Further adding features to the latest version.

For those assets that require some helper / placeholder / proxy / whatever you may call it: Disposable Polygons.

This is something I wanted to provide for a long while now, but needed the "Assetizer" functionality to be able to handle this feature.

Great solution Daniel,

If you remember, I was ask for this function in our PM conversation at the beta times...(pictures are still there)

To welding/optimizing...Are points of assets which hold the same position welded/optimized automatically by plugin or user need weld/optimize object manually by entering command for welding/optimizing?

• Topic Author
  • 15 hours ago, bezo said:

If you remember, I was ask for this function in our PM conversation at the beta times...(pictures are still there)

For sure I remember your request during beta testing. Back then I mentioned this was a very nice feature, with great added value. But I also mentioned I wasn't able to provide a user-friendly solution, and as such it needed to wait before being implemented.

As a result of the newly added Assetizer, I could now easily introduce this feature. Apologies for taking so long to finally get your feature implemented.

15 hours ago, bezo said:

To welding/optimizing...Are points of assets which hold the same position welded/optimized automatically by plugin or user need weld/optimize object manually by entering command for welding/optimizing?

Welding is performed by the plugin. No manual weld/optimize is required.

I tried showing it in the video, but I just realized now I erroneously used points instead of polygons to demonstrate the feature.

• Topic Author
  • While version 1.3 is currently in beta, I couldn't resist working on yet another feature: interactive rotation of assets.

As always, I first prepare some concept to try out and see if things can get worked out.

While being far from fully functional, I simply had to share next concept video showing off the interactive rotation (interactive scaling is next on the list).

I am not planning to include this feature in the 1.3 version as this would delay the release, but hopefully will get it ready for a next update.

Nice progress Daniel...

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, VECTOR said:

Nice one man, getting better all the time, this is gonna make smashing out hard surface stuff much easier :D 

I would agree....I have had my eye on this for quite some time....1.3 is the one to go for!

Dave

11 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I would agree....I have had my eye on this for quite some time....1.3 is the one to go for!

Dave

Indeed would be fun to see what it can do. Although I haven't done much of anything 3d lately outside of work this has tempted me to take on another stupidly detailed project, I have a mercersades I started doing some time ago but I think I might pick something else.

• Topic Author
  • Working on some other plugins (and life in general) did interfere with the planned release of PolyGnome 1.3

With a little delay I can now inform that the latest update has been finalized and distributed to the customers. Had some issues with building the plugin for the different Cinema 4D releases (R16 .. R19) as well as the different Mac OS versions. As such, I hope everyone received their appropriate version.

Time to start working on the next update, but I'll first need to finalize a few other things.

• Topic Author
  • Some of you might have noticed that my plugins are not available anymore at the C4DCafe Store.

I had requested Igor to temporarily disable or remove the plugins from the webshop.

Reason for this is that I did not want potential customer to purchase a pre-R20 version, expecting to have a working version when Cinema 4D R20 is released.

Since updating the plugins to R20 might require some time (once I have access to an R20 SDK), I had decided to make plugins available via the store only after their R20 version would be ready.