Hi guys

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off.

Cheers,
Cafe Staff 

Cinema 4D Plugins

czarnyrobert

Snapping to visible only - possible ?

Often, when I need to use snapping with a complex mesh I am annoyed that C4D wants to snap on invisible components on the other side of the mesh.

It is possible to select the other side components and make them invisible, then they won't be selected by snapping, but it takes time, you have to select, hide, then unhide.

Maybe you know some better way of avoiding snapping to invisible stuff?  

Maybe C4D has some switch for that, but I just can't find it ?

zzz snapping problem.c4d

Rectro    434

What about backface Culling, does that help?  N~P 

Edit, I just checked your file, you have vertex snapping on which no vertex on the area and side you wish to snap to so it will snap to other side as there are loads of close by verticies, you need polygon snapping with vertex off.  Backface Culling also stops snapping to back faces.

Dan

zzz snapping problem-sorted.c4d

• Like 1

Thank you Rectro !  The backface culling partially solves the problem !  :)

I didn't figure out that display settings may influence the snapping.   

I would rather think that select tool "Only Select Visible Elements" should rather have some impact.

This scene was only an example to illustrate the problem with point snapping I had several times when modeling, so polygon snapping wouldn't solve my problem.

Backface culling solves problem only partially, because it would prevent snapping to the back side of the same object (the most common case), but won't help if behind is another dense mesh.  Well in such case the best solution is to SOLO, use back-face culling and what I already mentioned hide components that interfere. 

Rectro    434

The key to the solve is not to use vertex snapping when you wish to snap to a face in this case example.

Dan

Yes, yes,  but this was just an example, anyway, imagine I need to snap exactly to those sparse points on the face.

Several times while modeling I needed to snap numerous points to other points, one by one, but it was problematic, because for many of them, C4D snapped to points on the other side - it was even invisible - from my POV it looked OK, only after I rotated the camera I saw how C4D screwed it up, by snapping to those invisible points.  Hopefuls now I am better prepared for such situations.   Thank you once again :)