Hi guys

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off.

Cheers,
Cafe Staff 

Arthos

Gun modelling from 2D concept art

Arthos    3

I just finished modelling a plane based on the 2D image I have of this gun, and now I have no idea how to start extruding the different parts. As you can see my mesh is only one object (which is perhaps a mistake?), I've tried beveling in solid mode and extruding the different parts but I don't get as much control as I want with that. I almost feel like this should have been a sculpt followed by a re-topology rather than trying to model it straight away but again I'm way out of my comfort zone on this one. Any help would be appreciated, how would you do it? I plan to import it into substance painter later on for texturing, which dictate the workflow a little bit.

gun.JPG

VECTOR    268
1 hour ago, Arthos said:

I just finished modelling a plane based on the 2D image I have of this gun, and now I have no idea how to start extruding the different parts. As you can see my mesh is only one object (which is perhaps a mistake?), I've tried beveling in solid mode and extruding the different parts but I don't get as much control as I want with that. I almost feel like this should have been a sculpt followed by a re-topology rather than trying to model it straight away but again I'm way out of my comfort zone on this one. Any help would be appreciated, how would you do it? I plan to import it into substance painter later on for texturing, which dictate the workflow a little bit.

gun.JPG

I would never  model anything like this from a plane. much better to box model it low poly with subdivision modelling techniques. As you've pointed out the gun mesh is one entire piece, Again I would never model it that way rather model the individual elements  making up the gun instead, obviously depends how detail you want to go and much of the gun will be seen, for example there's no point modelling the inside workings if they won't be seen. seeing as it's a 2d image unless there's some other shots from another angle you'll have to try to image what it will look like in a 3d space.

Arthos    3
1 minute ago, VECTOR said:

I would never  model anything like this from a plane. much better to box model it low poly with subdivision modelling techniques. As you've pointed out the gun mesh is one entire piece, Again I would never model it that way rather model the individual elements  making up the gun instead, obviously depends how detail you want to go and much of the gun will be seen, for example there's no point modelling the inside workings if they won't be seen. seeing as it's a 2d image unless there's some other shots from another angle you'll have to try to image what it will look like in a 3d space.

I want to go with a realistic look if I can so quite detailed but still optimized topology for real time. I guess I'm a little bit confused when it comes to intersecting objects and polygons, I felt like in order to get the lowest polygon count I needed to avoid having intersecting objects. So what parts would you break into different objects for this gun?

DanLSK    24

Vector is right about box modeling, but plane modeling is probably the way i would try to approach this one also.

I have modeled Shotgun using plane based modeling and it turned out quite well. The trick is to start with simplest mesh possible outlining crucial details with later subdivision in mind. Your mesh is already way to heavy to be able to control your over all shape. There is too much to cover in one post here but, if you really wanna learn more about this technique there is an AMAZING tut by very talented Toby Pitman. Look up his MILG11.    

VECTOR    268
17 hours ago, Arthos said:

I want to go with a realistic look if I can so quite detailed but still optimized topology for real time. I guess I'm a little bit confused when it comes to intersecting objects and polygons, I felt like in order to get the lowest polygon count I needed to avoid having intersecting objects. So what parts would you break into different objects for this gun?

I would do all the parts that look like individual panels separately as well as the arm straps. you could certainly model some of the elements from low poly planes but I wouldn't do the entire body. it really depends how you want to approach it and your level of modelling.

Arthos    3
8 hours ago, DanLSK said:

Vector is right about box modeling, but plane modeling is probably the way i would try to approach this one also.

I have modeled Shotgun using plane based modeling and it turned out quite well. The trick is to start with simplest mesh possible outlining crucial details with later subdivision in mind. Your mesh is already way to heavy to be able to control your over all shape. There is too much to cover in one post here but, if you really wanna learn more about this technique there is an AMAZING tut by very talented Toby Pitman. Look up his MILG11.    

Are you talking about the hard Surface tutorials? Because I have them already

DanLSK    24
13 hours ago, Arthos said:

Are you talking about the hard Surface tutorials? Because I have them already

Yes, specifically MILG11 the newest one.  I started to outline and slowly form to shape scarab beetle last night. All out of top projection flat plain. Now this could be done by box modeling and probably be easier that way. Idk what ever works I guess

beatle.jpg

• Like 1