Hi guys

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off.

Cheers,
Cafe Staff 

Kinink

Cheese modeling : anyone knows how?

VECTOR    268

ok so here's a quick sub d effort, now if it were my job i'd spend a lot more time modelling it and refining the hole shapes etc, but this is just a quick test, took about 20 mins, modified my current skin shader into a cheese shader.

cheese test wire.jpg

cheese test.jpg

Kinink    1

Thanks everyone! I'll try some of the approaches and as soon as i have somethink will post it so you guys have some feedback!! Thanks a lot to all contributions!

Kinink    1

Vector, i just saw that you actually modelled the thing, it is looking preety much in the way, very good actually. Its the kind of result i m looking for. Mine has to have a more or less realistic geometry like the picture i posted, but a cartoonish look in its textures and colours. Ill try both paths tomorrow, with the suggested plugin, your way and the sculpting approach that Cerbera suggested. I actually tried sculpting, but it wasnt working that good in the begining so i went other ways, but rethinking it it really makes sense. Modelling looked a little bit complicated but it seens it can be achieved with enough time. I dont know, but i almost never do organic stuff and somehow they are always the hardest to produce. Food is a nightmare to create because everyone knows how they look exactly and have been so used to looking at then from a short distance that the slightest fault gets noticed...it is not like stuff that people pretty much never get a closer look to like, a expresso machine or something like this!!

VECTOR    268
29 minutes ago, Kinink said:

Vector, i just saw that you actually modelled the thing, it is looking preety much in the way, very good actually. Its the kind of result i m looking for. Mine has to have a more or less realistic geometry like the picture i posted, but a cartoonish look in its textures and colours. Ill try both paths tomorrow, with the suggested plugin, your way and the sculpting approach that Cerbera suggested. I actually tried sculpting, but it wasnt working that good in the begining so i went other ways, but rethinking it it really makes sense. Modelling looked a little bit complicated but it seens it can be achieved with enough time. I dont know, but i almost never do organic stuff and somehow they are always the hardest to produce. Food is a nightmare to create because everyone knows how they look exactly and have been so used to looking at then from a short distance that the slightest fault gets noticed...it is not like stuff that people pretty much never get a closer look to like, a expresso machine or something like this!!

no problem, i started with a low poly cylinder made it roughly equal quad section and made the sub d object editable then just extruded some holes 

here's the file , like i said that was a quick rough attempt you could spend much more time refining it.

cheese.c4d

Cerbera    913

Alas I had client work to be getting on with, so didn't do a sculpt version in the end. But I did do some tests, and was getting really good results very quickly.

Latterly I used L7 subdivision, the pull brush with 800 strength, inverted, and with a custom falloff and in Drag Rect mode meaning you can easily add holes of any size in one mouse move. The grab and smooth tools (both of which need far less strength) are then useful for un-regularizing the holes, as well as for general large shape changes so you get the organic feel of the surface.

If it helps, here's the base mesh I went for, which as you can see, gives a perfectly even top surface for sculpting.

cheesbase.thumb.jpg.4a56cfd689c5b2d1d5c218b995a175a1.jpg

Either way works of course, and @VECTOR's effort is totally fine too :)

CBR

VECTOR    268
1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Alas I had client work to be getting on with, so didn't do a sculpt version in the end. But I did do some tests, and was getting really good results very quickly.

Latterly I used L7 subdivision, the pull brush with 800 strength, inverted, and with a custom falloff and in Drag Rect mode meaning you can easily add holes of any size in one mouse move. The grab and smooth tools (both of which need far less strength) are then useful for un-regularizing the holes, as well as for general large shape changes so you get the organic feel of the surface.

If it helps, here's the base mesh I went for, which as you can see, gives a perfectly even top surface for sculpting.

cheesbase.thumb.jpg.4a56cfd689c5b2d1d5c218b995a175a1.jpg

Either way works of course, and @VECTOR's effort is totally fine too :)

CBR

it looks pretty sexy though don't it ;)

Kinink    1

Thanks! I´m doing mine right now, will be posting here soon. How do you guys achieve a regular grid in the inside panel of the cut-open cylinder? Even when I check regular grid, it isn´t so good as yours...

bezo    389

regularity is based on regularity of polygons dimensions. When are all in same size, subdivided mesh will be also regular...

(brush tool in smooth mode restricted to selection also can be big helper sometimes)

Kinink    1

So, maybe I am doing something wrong. Here´s what I´ve tried so far.

Choose cylinder > slice 45 degrees > check regular grid > check fillet and caps.

What am I doing wrong ? I also tried dissolving the internal faces and subdividing it once.

my attributes

Captura de Tela 2017-08-14 às 12.17.00.png

bezo    389

just basic slice is from parametric object, for mesh creation was use simple modeling techniques like cut, connect, slice...

updated file

5991c075eb4cc_regularityofmesh.thumb.jpg.ab50d1fcc7e841ebe215984ea29b7983.jpg

cheese.zip

Kinink    1

Thanks. But you only use from the parametric the slice and fillet, the rest relies on the modeling techniques ?

Cerbera    913
1 hour ago, Kinink said:

How do you guys achieve a regular grid

I built my example for you from a plane, not from a sliced cylinder or torus, hence the stellar grid layout...

You can't use the caps on any generator object without generating dodgy topology, so far better to not use any caps and generators at all while you are making base shapes.

It takes a long time (years) to gain  modelling skills such that you just instantly know how best to make any shape, but keep practicing and you'll get there. 

CBR