Kinink

Cheese modeling : anyone knows how?

Kinink    1

Hi!

I'm faced with a little bit of challenge trying to model a...cheese slice!! So, the story is that I war for a brand design company and now they have a cheese client and they need me to model some of them. For almost all of them, I got it out right. Until I got to those sliced one's with holes in it.

I don't know why, but I can't get them to look right. Maybe you guys who are far more experienced could lend a tip here...

so, here's the deal and how I did so far :

I have to model something more or less similar to the picture attached. For the bump, SSS and reflections, I figured it out I think (I attached some of my work in progress...it haven't been under a photoshop post production). My results shouldn't look "photographical", for that I mean, the cheese should look well made, but not like a 100% real, they should have this "cartoonish" feel to them.

My problem so far is with cutting the holes in it. Either I get a cylinder or capsule, put some fillet to it, slice it and bang, I've got the nice triangular shaped thing. BUT, the inside parts (the sliced one's) have a of a mesh to it, so I reset, relax the hole thing and ok. But some how, when I start to cut holes in it with the boolean, the holes simples looks FAKE. They don't have that slightly curbed borders with some thickness to it. I have tried also some kind of displacement and bump but for some reason, the sub-poly displacement asks for more fuel than my computer can give and the whole thing freezes. 

So, any tips on how to do it ??

Right now what I'm trying is : create a cube, 20x20x20 or more polygons. Sculpt it to a triangle with a rounded side. Another cube, smaller, sculpt it to a sphere. Use the smaller to cut the holes so they get a better geometry together. 

Do you know what else could I try??

Thanks!!!

food-53.jpg

08_3D_Gruyere_Disco_2k__72dpi_0932min_JL copy.png

noni    2

Have you looked into the Sculpting tools in C4D?  I use Z-Brush occasionally, which is great at digging holes in objects, and I've read that C4D has similar tools, though I've not tried them.  Perhaps google about that?

VECTOR    381
1 hour ago, Kinink said:

Hi!

I'm faced with a little bit of challenge trying to model a...cheese slice!! So, the story is that I war for a brand design company and now they have a cheese client and they need me to model some of them. For almost all of them, I got it out right. Until I got to those sliced one's with holes in it.

I don't know why, but I can't get them to look right. Maybe you guys who are far more experienced could lend a tip here...

so, here's the deal and how I did so far :

I have to model something more or less similar to the picture attached. For the bump, SSS and reflections, I figured it out I think (I attached some of my work in progress...it haven't been under a photoshop post production). My results shouldn't look "photographical", for that I mean, the cheese should look well made, but not like a 100% real, they should have this "cartoonish" feel to them.

My problem so far is with cutting the holes in it. Either I get a cylinder or capsule, put some fillet to it, slice it and bang, I've got the nice triangular shaped thing. BUT, the inside parts (the sliced one's) have a of a mesh to it, so I reset, relax the hole thing and ok. But some how, when I start to cut holes in it with the boolean, the holes simples looks FAKE. They don't have that slightly curbed borders with some thickness to it. I have tried also some kind of displacement and bump but for some reason, the sub-poly displacement asks for more fuel than my computer can give and the whole thing freezes. 

So, any tips on how to do it ??

Right now what I'm trying is : create a cube, 20x20x20 or more polygons. Sculpt it to a triangle with a rounded side. Another cube, smaller, sculpt it to a sphere. Use the smaller to cut the holes so they get a better geometry together. 

Do you know what else could I try??

Thanks!!!

food-53.jpg

08_3D_Gruyere_Disco_2k__72dpi_0932min_JL copy.png

id sub d model that no problem. low poly at first to get the rounded triangle, then make the sub d object editable on 1 or 2 so you have enough geo to extrude the holes, don't use booleans, they're a lazy and rather unsavory approach to modelling

• Like 1

Cerbera    1,214
1 hour ago, Kinink said:

But some how, when I start to cut holes in it with the boolean, the holes simples looks FAKE.

Of course - booles are just lazy cheats for people who can't model properly. You need to learn modelling skills then create holes using poly modelling and good topology. That way you will find adding bevels to holes very easy, rather than the nightmare it will be using terrible booleans.

If you don't have those skills, then sculpting is going to be your only way forward.

If you want to see what good cheese topology looks like find the mouse and the cheese scene by Kingcoma in the R18 content browser.

CBR

bezo    416

Result with César Vonc Procedurale 2 plugin. More playing with setings and noice type can get better results, just quick example...

Procedurale_2_test.thumb.jpg.24c03b174ec156087e395c5d404f8a79.jpg

MJohnny    32
4 minutes ago, bezo said:

Result with César Vonc Procedurale 2 plugin. More playing with setings and noice type can get better results, just quick example...

Procedurale_2_test.thumb.jpg.24c03b174ec156087e395c5d404f8a79.jpg

Looks like a good start. Now only make holes towards the middle and not on the surface.

SD modelling could give better result as the holes are not perfectly spherical but rather squashed and metaball-ish...

Cerbera    1,214

I've just done a quick test, and it takes 1 min to make the basic slice, and subdivide it properly (even squares everywhere) so it's suitable for sculpting. Then I spent another 5 minutes over in sculpting layout subdividing to L6 then using the pull brush in drag rect mode (with a 300% strength setting) to just paint the holes in, having set a suitable falloff first, and inverted the tool. Then a little smoothing in flood-fill mode to smooth out the edges, a little love with the manual smoothing tool to gain some irregularity, and it's all looking good in around 10 mins. Normally I'd be the first to suggest poly modelling, but there's no doubt the sculpt route is far faster...

CBR

VECTOR    381
1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

I've just done a quick test, and it takes 1 min to make the basic slice, and subdivide it properly (even squares everywhere) so it's suitable for sculpting. Then I spent another 5 minutes over in sculpting layout subdividing to L6 then using the pull brush in drag rect mode (with a 300% strength setting) to just paint the holes in, having set a suitable fall off first, and inverted the tool. Then a little smoothing in flood-fill mode, and it's all looking good in around 10 mins. Normally I'd be the first to suggest poly modelling, but there's no doubt the sculpt route is far faster...

CBR

faster but not necessarily better ;) 

Cerbera    1,214
4 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

faster but not necessarily better ;) 

No, I'd say better as well ;) If he was making cartoon cheese with a few simple round holes, then yes, SD modelling wins every time, but look at his reference - that's a far more detailed organic sort of holing that will be a proper pain the butt to model poly by poly.

And let's not forget that the sculpt, in every one of its million+ polygons will be all-quads, so no quality issues there :) And he can always bake it down so it's not a drain on the viewport...

CBR

VECTOR    381
5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No, I'd say better as well ;) If he was making cartoon cheese with a few simple round holes, then yes, SD modelling wins every time, but look at his reference - that's a far more detailed organic sort of holing that will be a proper pain the butt to model poly by poly.

And let's not forget that the sculpt, in every one of its million+ polygons will be all-quads, so no quality issues there :) And he can always bake it down so it's not a drain on the viewport...

CBR

there's only one way to settle this, i sir challenge you to a duel, i suggest pistols at dawn. also he states it doesn't need to be photo real and should have a cartoonish feel, im going to have to model it

Cerbera    1,214
1 hour ago, VECTOR said:

there's only one way to settle this, i sir challenge you to a duel, i suggest pistols at dawn. also he states it doesn't need to be photo real and should have a cartoonish feel, im going to have to model it

Oh go on then :)

VECTOR    381
40 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Oh go on then :)

rendering now ;)