nerv

Club feedback thread

nerv    275

Have suggestions on making this club more useful, informative, and better overall? 

What are we doing right? What could use some work? What would you like to see more of? 

Etc etc etc... 

Drop your comments in here! 

DanLSK    38

I like how in "GPU Renderers - a civilized comparison" people started sharing project files. Now I understand that was specific to given topic so people can compare and what not but I found it quite helpful.

It would be nice to see more scene files so those not so talented like my self can learn thing or two...

Now with that said I understand that most people probably don't want to give away some of their special recipes for special (signature) projects,  but some simple scenes targeting specific look or a render setting would be nice to see. 

Igor    467

We need to think about how to engage members more into discussions like this. I am sad to see things like this...where only one member comment and give feedback and you give you free time and will to help, this is heartbreaking:cry:

nerv    275
  • Topic Author
  • @DanLSK thanks for that!  We could definitely look into adding more scenefiles for people to learn with.  I recently updated the original post in the renderer comparison thread with the studio scenefile, including some fun RS procedural materials, which should help as jump-off points to learn the system.  

@Igor I think it's fine.  We're all busy people, and Redshift is still pretty niche, so I was always assuming activity would be a little slow at first.  I think we've set up a few threads to get the ball rolling, and we may just need to wait for comments to trickle in - especially once RS officially hits its launch date and people start becoming more interested / switching over / etc. ;) 

In the meantime, I've linked to the club in other platforms, like Redshift facebook groups and other relevant forums.  So, feel free to do the same!  

No stress here at all. :) 

• Namaste 1

djfilms    38

nerv,

Multitudinous thanks for setting this forum up. May your animations never flicker....

I'm thinking of jumping ship from Vray to RS, and so this forum should assist me in decision-making.

regards, David

• Like 1

nerv    275
  • Topic Author
  • @djfilms no problem! Thanks for joining. Let us know how the transition goes if it happens!

djfilms    38

Nerv, Igor, A Suggestion for a sticky thread: quick start for novices. Tips on tasks and procedures (as opposed to a listing of buttons, as in the RS documentation).

From your posted renders, you clearly are a whizkid. However, for people like me who are jumping ship from Vray or other engines, it would help get up to speed faster if there were a forum for beginners. For example, I'm trying to create a volumetric light, but can't see how to do it in C4D. I'm sure the answer is elementary, but I've been wasting time fiddling. The RS feedback window gives  a prompt for the error, but it is only understandable by an expert, which is at variance with the intent of a prompt.

In the discussion for other engines, Fastbee posted a perfect example of what I have in mind: 

I was testing Redshift more and ran into some things that I found speed up rendering by maybe 30%+ when combined.

1) Go to Render Settings > Redshift > Memory > Automatic Memory Management and check this on.  It takes more memory, but speeds up renders.

2) Render Settings > Redshift > System > Bucket Rendering and switch this to 256

3) When using Irradiance Point Cloud as the seconday GI Bounces, which seems to be the best option, change the Samples per Pixel under Irradiance Point Cloud settings to 1.  One one think this would lower the quality, but it doesn't.  It's really strange.  I have not tried it in a lot of scenes right now so if someone could re-verify this it would be great.

4) Under Unified Sampling setting it to 512 max and 256 min seems to be enough to get flicker free for even the hardest scenes.  Setting it higher does not seem to get any better quality for the extra time.  Setting it lower like 256 max 128 min can sometimes add to render time which I find strange.  Setting it very low can cause flickering in some scenes, so for previewing maybe ipr or using 16 max 4 min is good, but final rendering 512 max 256 min seems to be the best between no flickering and a fast render.  If flickering is still seen this should be upped at the cost of more render time.

This is a procedural tip which is a great help, but is buried in the discussion of other engines, as opposed to a thread for beginners. 

What say ye?

PS: i'm a retired instructional designer, and I plan on documenting things as I learn. I'll post the beginners' tips as I complete them.

nerv    275
  • Topic Author
  • @djfilms I totally hear you.  It's a great suggestion!  I'll try and find some time to make something like that happen.  

Meantime, I'd strongly recommend you check out @merkvilson's GIF tips thread here.  Really great stuff! 

djfilms    38

@nerv, thanks for the reply. I have checked out merkvilson GIF tips which are superbly done, but many are advanced tips, rather than ground-floor level. If I can assist you in some way with the beginners' thread, I'd be happy to.

cheers, David

@nerv, @Igor, you asked for ideas to stimulate use of this forum. Here's an idea to get participation: you or Igor post a scene with deliberately bad settings. Ask users to adjust the settings so as to optimise quality and speed. This is an exercise to assist real-world troubleshooting and optimising.

What say ye?

cheers, David

merkvilson    71

They introduced the new RenderView and it's not ready yet. many things have to be changed. especially UI/UX.
    I'm going to make introductory video tutorials as soon as they will improve its UI. 
    Here is a thread about this topic. 
    https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/13467/P15/
    You can ask them to hurry up with UI/UX enhancements. The more requests they get, the sooner they will improve UI and I'll be able to record new tutorials. :)

• Like 1

djfilms    38

@merkvilson, many thanks for your current excellent GIftips and for planning to help us all into the future. 

cheers, David

• Like 1