Sign in to follow this  
Adept

UI With a 4k Monitor

Hi! I have been considering upgrading from my 1080p monitor to a larger 4k monitor for gaming, entertainment etc, but also use cinema a LOT. I remember a while ago a friend of mine got a 4k monitor and had problems with the UI being incredibly small and almost unusable. Is there a way to fix this? I would love to get a higher quality monitor but don't want it turning into a waste of money when I can't use Cinema with it. I'm running windows 10 by the way, as I have read on some other forums that the OS has made a difference. 

Not sure what will happen with a 4K monitor in Windows…

I’m here with 2 screens, both 27”:

— Main one is a 5k iMac (5120 x 2880)
— Secondary screen is a 2.5k Dell (2560 x 1440)

And C4D 18 works absolutely fine and great.

But of course: it’s important that OS “decouple” that huge resolution (working at 144dpi instead of 72dpi). I mean: I see ALL (interface icons and viewport content) exactly with same SIZE in both screens. It’s just the resolution (image quality) what is much higher on the main 5k screen.

Not sure if/how Windows can “decouple” apps resolution for 4k or 5k screens… But I suppose that a small googling could give you some clue…

You've got two choices when using a 4K monitor and Cinema. You can just let windows scale everything up and it will look the same as it does on a lower-res monitor. To me that isn't so useful because the amount of screen real estate remains the same. The alternative is to tell windows not to scale this app, in which case you get a large amount of screen space but of course all the text and icons look very small. 

What I did was not scale it up but increase the font sizes in Cinema's own prefs and along with using the largest icon size it's pretty good - certainly very usable. And vast acres of screen space :-)

Fortunately Cinema scales up very well but you will find that not all software does so, so experience can be a bit variable with other apps. Photoshop in particular is a touch erratic.

Steve

Also depends on the display size. 4K monitors range from 24" to 43". If you go with one of the bigger models from Dell or LG, scaling will be less of an issue.

On Dell XPS laptop with 4K resolution and scaling of 250% C4D looks too blurry. When I was checking (version 17) C4D was DPI Unaware in windows 10, thus crappy look. For example Blackmagic Fusion and Houdini are and they look amazing on every scaling option. MODO also looks too blurry and does not scale well.... Not sure is this changed in v19 though.

On 8/16/2017 at 1:20 AM, Eterea said:

Not sure what will happen with a 4K monitor in Windows…

I’m here with 2 screens, both 27”:

— Main one is a 5k iMac (5120 x 2880)
— Secondary screen is a 2.5k Dell (2560 x 1440)

And C4D 18 works absolutely fine and great.

But of course: it’s important that OS “decouple” that huge resolution (working at 144dpi instead of 72dpi). I mean: I see ALL (interface icons and viewport content) exactly with same SIZE in both screens. It’s just the resolution (image quality) what is much higher on the main 5k screen.

Not sure if/how Windows can “decouple” apps resolution for 4k or 5k screens… But I suppose that a small googling could give you some clue…

@Eterea, thanks for this info. Are you referring to the 'scaled' setting of monitor resolution, rather than 'best for'? I have 27" iMac 1440p and 27" 1080p. I played with the scaled setting, but to get 'same size' effect, the higher resolution monitor has to be scaled down (making things appear larger and losing space) to match the lower res of my second monitor. Not ideal. So, have you actually scaled down your 5K res to match the 2.5K, or am I missing something about this so-called 'decoupling' function?

I wish Cinema4D had a similar option as Blender's Display Scale slider: seamless up and down scaling of the GUI, and an option to double line widths on retina screens. That really is the perfect solution. And each panel's display scale can be individually scaled too - making it possible to combine retina and non-retina screens in multi-screen situations.

Paintstorm offers a similar option, I heard - no other application does it so well as Blender. And all in real-time: no need for restarting the application.

On 8/16/2017 at 2:58 PM, spedler said:

What I did was not scale it up but increase the font sizes in Cinema's own prefs and along with using the largest icon size it's pretty good - certainly very usable. And vast acres of screen space 🙂

This is exactly how I got the size of things looking right on my BenQ 4K monitor in Cinema 4D. It does the trick! Cheers